PDA

View Full Version : learning photorealistic texturing

Soth
04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi,
I am finishing my current job in may and I would like to add few photo-realistic architectural visualisations to my portfolio. But, I have no experience in photo-realistic texturing...

I have googled a bit but I seem to not be able to find any tutorials that will aim to teach about architecture/interior rendering with a big stress on quality...

How to get there quickly? I would love to find video tutorials covering it but website or book would do.

PS I am quite sure that I can manage lighting, texturing is what I am heaving problems with.

sampei
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm also interested in this, let's hope Iain reads it :D

Soth
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
...found this, texturing/lighting starts from part 11
http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=565

sampei
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
any good ?

Soth
05-02-2010, 01:34 AM
gimme couple more weeks, busy, but ill come back to you ;)

gordonrobb
05-02-2010, 02:26 AM
I have it. Have started teh texturing part. It is definately aimed at getting photorealistic. Best part is the set up for working with texturing.

Iain
05-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Not really much help I know, but the only advice I would give is to be very thorough.

Realism isn't difficult, it just requires a very high level of detail in everything. Once you get experienced at it, you know exactly where and when you can skimp (usually in the modelling for me) but if you observe reality and copy it accurately in your modelling, texturing and lighting, you really can't go wrong.

Some pointers:

1: Make sure your model is as accurate as possible. We are all so familiar with living spaces and, crucially, their proportions, that when its wrong or unusual, it stands out a mile.

2: No sharp corners. A general modelling rule but very important for the same reason as above.

3: Pay great attention to texturing. Use gradients as much as possible to simulate realistic reflections and diffuse levels. Blur your reflections whenever your render times can take it. Almost all surfaces exhibit these two properties to varying degrees.

4: Use falloff and colour on your fill lighting.

5: For interiors, don't just throw nice furniture into a room. Get reference material. Interior design is difficult, even in minimalism so copy the experts.

JonW
05-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Everything as said above.

Time!

Everything in this image has a radius on their corners.

erikals
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
DPont edge node is a good trick

also, use Photo-reference

Kray looks cool for interiors,
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=6&w=1600&h=1200

sampei
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
cool stuff guys. What about energy conservation shading models? in theory they are physically very accurate but in practice?

Iain
05-05-2010, 02:43 AM
What about energy conservation shading models? in theory they are physically very accurate but in practice?

There has always been a general rule of having your diffuse and reflection levels approximate to roughly 100%
In practice however, the scales involved in interiors let you have more freedom. Close ups require perfection in surfacing but interiors really don't. Most complex node shaders are completely wasted on surfaces that cover 4m by 6m and are 5m away from the camera. Its render time for nothing.

In fact, usually when I have something set up for a close up and then pull the camera out, I have to change material settings for a better render.

Experimentation is key and, to me, fprime is still essential for this.

My 'rules' for interior surfacing:

Keep glass simple; low diffuse, low reflection and high transparency. Dielectrics are a waste on flat panels looking out at daylight.
Use a high quality background image. (This is so important if you can see through the glass. Apologies to JonW but thats what stikes me about the image you posted.)
Reflection isn't usually required on plasterboard. The blurring would have to be so extreme that a low specular value does the same job much quicker.
Try to stay away from deep browns and purples if possible.
Flooring is often the most striking surface in an interior. Source good image maps, get the scale right and it's done.

biliousfrog
05-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Iain pretty much sums it up.

Texturing is only a part of the equation, it is perfectly possible to have a very believable image with very basic surfacing as long as the modelling and lighting can compensate but you'll find that a balance of all three is usually most acceptable. Incidence gradients are very important, I usually work with keys at 0, 30, and 90 and work on the principles of energy conservation and fresnel...but don't aim for 100% realism, aim for believability. If you ever hear yourself explaining, '...but it's how it should be...' then you're obviously not selling it. The image should 'look' right first and foremost, the tips provided will just help you get there.

Also don't shy away from working in post, sometimes it is the fastest and easiest way to accomplish something - such as smoothing sharp corners or adding a reflection.

erikals
05-05-2010, 05:43 AM
for reflection on floor, this trick is very good, using this method the floor is blurred in post, almost realtime.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=942169&postcount=6