PDA

View Full Version : PANIC ROOM 3D titles - plug-in to create?

Tom Wood
09-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know if there is a plug-in that will automatically generate 3D letters like those used at the beginning of Panic Room? I see how to use bevel and smoothshift to approximate the effect, but it's not quite what I want. The serifs sweep back in all three dimensions in the PR titles, for example.

Thanks,

Tom

Mylenium
09-11-2003, 12:01 PM
There is no such plugin. It's just fiddling with points and polys - just like the artists had to do when they created the sequence. However, in the meantime the situation has improved with several plugins for beveling (check out jagoca's Scripts in the L-Script section).

Mylenium

thekho
09-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Why not use Router tool

munky
09-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi Tom,

you might find these two little puppies useful

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthr...&threadid=10751

I'm not sure exactly what you need but they are pretty useful tools anyway

also

http://www.daz3d.com/products/lightwave/EdgeBevelP.zip

all are free Hurrah!!!!!!

regards

paul

You might also want to look at richard braks rounder tool (not free I think)

Tom Wood
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks everybody,

I guess I'm lazy, but what I need is a text tool that makes 3D letters from the keyboard. Just type them in. I'd settle for just Times Roman. I'm making a 3D mock news show, and the 'broadcast' CG just doesn't fit into the look of the story world that I'm creating. (That's not a slam, just a fact.) But I need to be able to generate a lot of 3D text quickly, hence the subject of this thread.

If there isn't a plug-in to do this, what would work in its stead would be a way to model the alphabet in 3D and then make that alphabet a text choice in the text tool. So, once I've manually modeled the alphabet, is there a way to create a macro whereby I can just type it in?

Thanks,

Tom

WizCraker
09-12-2003, 01:10 PM
There is a script in Lightwave that does that. You type letters hit ok and it auto extrudes. It is called Logo

Mattoo
09-13-2003, 08:40 AM
I'm confused, what's wrong with the Text tool built into LW? You can type any fonts that are on your system, you just gotta add them to your font list.

Tom Wood
09-13-2003, 11:09 AM
The text tool in LW is fine, as a starting point. From there you have to manipulate the letters into a 3D shape, which is good for small bits of text. The logo tool takes it a step further and pre-extrudes the letters to a default thickness. Which is nice because it makes the letters two-sided by default which makes it easier to grab the back face for more manipulation, like adding a bevel.

But what I really wanted was a way to type in pre-modeled 3D letters on the fly. With curved bevels no less. However, after having played around with using the logo letters, the effect is pretty much lost on smaller letters in a block of text that takes up only a portion of a TV screen.

TW

munky
09-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi tom

what you could do with is a plugin that loads a layer of an object with the layers mapped to the keyboard, but you would also need some kind of font metrics or perhaps an lscript that takes the flat lightwave text tool output and builds and surfaces it for you. Unfortunatley what you want doesn't exist in lightwave. If you have loads of text then I'd type it out in Illustrator or freehand and import it as an EPSF file and extrude and bevel from there. If you have loads of text then you won't see too much fine detail anyway. Also stuff that is further away can be made with clipmaps on flat plates.

If that doesn't fit in with what you need the the only place I can suggest you go is here www.vizrt.com/db/4/10/1057/document688.ehtml as they have a machine that does what you want but I bet it ain't cheap

the attached piccy shows how just 4 flat plates used as clip maps can pile on the detail (in a graphicy sort of way)

regards

paul

munky
09-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Oh Tom, this was from another thread but on the page in question it mentioned the multitext tool which is under modeller/construct/additional/multitext

the link is here

www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page05.shtml (thanks Riki)

regards

paul

Tom Wood
09-14-2003, 10:10 AM
hi Paul,

Wow, thank you for those links! Yeah, the viz system is probably more $ than I can do, but it makes sense that there would be such a system out there, for the deep-pocketed anyway. I'm still messing around with the diferent tools in LW/VT and I'm sure I can come up with something that will work.

Thanks again,

Tom