PDA

View Full Version : Who created UV Mapping??

necrokill
04-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Hey does anyone know who created the first algorithm for UV Mapping or which paper it was first introduced in? Ive googled but cant find anything. Im guessing its siggraph but not sure which one.

your answers are appreciated!!

:hat::hat::hat:

gerry_g
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
No but I bet they're kicking themselves for not patenting the technique

OnlineRender
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
LOL , ye would be a kick in da nuts ! , UV mappin goes way back ! surely there's some people who must know something about its origin .

Thomas Knoll probably :D

bjornkn
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
According to my sources Catmull pioneered UV mapping in 74. It was later refined by Blinn in 76 - just like so many other inventions in this area... Blinn among lots of other things also invented bump mapping BTW.

OnlineRender
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
According to my sources Catmull pioneered UV mapping in 74. It was later refined by Blinn in 76 - just like so many other inventions in this area... Blinn among lots of other things also invented bump mapping BTW.

Awesome knowledge ! infact well impressed ........

bjornkn
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I didn't know that my copy of Foley/Van Dam was that dusty. Gotta read in it more often I guess ;)

hruffin3
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
uv coordinates are what are used to map 3d space to a 2d display-not sure exactly who first started using them - in other words they are coordinates or vertex info that allow us to visualize the depth on a flat medium ...

Nicolas Jordan
04-27-2010, 01:30 PM

If that's true UV mapping was invented before I was even thought of. :D

OnlineRender
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
If that's true UV mapping was invented before I was even thought of. :D

LOL ,yup ,same for me , wasn't even twinkle in the my dads eye , or fresh spe** :D rememeber we are all winners :devil:

good put down !

" 4 million sperm and thats the one that got threw ! "

sorry :hijack:

shrox
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
LOL ,yup ,same for me , wasn't even twinkle in the my dads eye , or fresh spe** :D rememeber we are all winners :devil:

good put down !

" 4 million sperm and thats the one that got threw ! "

sorry :hijack:

I was 10. My neighbor had a Tandy with a cassette drive. I just wasn't interested because it didn't work like the computers on Star Trek.

Now I am interested.

bjornkn
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
And I was still young ;)
Here's an interesting timeline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_CGI_in_films
Note that the first CGI feature movie to be animated by one person, 'Flatland', was made in 2007, using LW and AE ! :)

Shnoze Shmon
04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Yegads! This place is filled with a bunch of wet behind the ears toddlers who probably never saw a line of basic or a computer that ran off of it.

This is almost as bad as having a coworker that was born the same year I graduated.

I'm Young! That's a fact! Quit contradicting it!8~

shrox
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Yegads! This place is filled with a bunch of wet behind the ears toddlers who probably never saw a line of basic or a computer that ran off of it.

This is almost as bad as having a coworker that was born the same year I graduated.

I'm Young! That's a fact! Quit contradicting it!8~

Oh, remember 1984 used to be a scary year in the future? Now if born in 1984 you can drink.

OnlineRender
04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh, remember 1984 used to be a scary year in the future? Now if born in 1984 you can drink.

1983 >me :) been drinkin since 1993 !

Titus
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

I'm sure they're not. I really admire researchers like Blinn, Catmull, Phong, Debevec for giving so much for just the fame.

Sensei
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Patenting computer algorithms is simply sick.. ;)

Probably only USA is doing so..

And UV mapping is not even algorithm, it's just another two data fields in each 3d vertex.

Nicolas Jordan
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I think it's nice that Disney finally released Ptex as open source. I wonder who invented Ptex anyway? Maybe it was a collaborative in house effort.