PDA

View Full Version : One Off The List

daforum
04-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Hello everyone. I wanted to share an animated short I created as the final film for my MA in Animation at the University West of England (UWE) Bristol, UK.
I was encouraged to try something I hadn't done before and this is what I created.

"One Off The List" (http://www.vimeo.com/11043925)

"Ethel visits a graveyard to place flowers at her husbands grave
and the Grim Reaper attempts to get her too.
He gives chase, trying different ways to remove her from his list."

For O.O.T.L. I used Lightwave 9.6 for the main production, but started off using LW 9.3 for pre-production (animatics and early models/ ideas etc)

The short gave me the chance to learn techniques I had seen discussed here on the forum and after watching video tutorials I was able to use those techniques in the production. Such techniques include baking textures, the reverse foot rig (love it!), Hypervoxels, Motion plugins, different passes for compositing in Post; and the advice and use of various plugins from contributors here on the forum - many thanks.
When LW 9.6 arrived I updated and also used (to my delight ) Render-Q. That meant I could line-up a lot of scenes for rendering - including all the different passes - go to bed and get a good nights sleep!
It was all done on a MacBookPro Laptop too.

It's loosely based on the Road Runner/ Coyote cartoons, as I didn't want to emulate the style - only the idea; and as I enjoyed watching the cartoons when I was younger it gave me the chance to try out a few of the jokes myself.

It's just a bit of fun and I hope you all enjoy.

h2oStudios
04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
That was actually not bad for a one-man production. Though I am curious as to how long it took to produce. Definitely has that Chuck Jones'y feel to it. Congrats! :thumbsup:

brunopeixoto
04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Very crazy and very good!

geo_n
04-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Very cool! For one person how much work was it? Someday I would like to make my own short but no idea what story. :D

daforum
04-28-2010, 05:18 AM
That was actually not bad for a one-man production. Though I am curious as to how long it took to produce. Definitely has that Chuck Jones'y feel to it. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thanks h2oStudios :)
I spent about 6 months in production (about a month in pre-production, but i carried on working on the animatics a few weeks before final rendering had to be done.)

Very crazy and very good!

Thank you brunopeixoto :)

Very cool! For one person how much work was it? Someday I would like to make my own short but no idea what story. :D

Thanks geo_n :)
It is a lot of work for one person (i didn't do the music, only the visuals) but it feels good to have done it. I learned a lot from doing this and it's inspired me to get better at animation.

sompson
04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
cool

i liked the "honk honk" sounds when granny drove by :D

daforum
04-30-2010, 09:12 AM
cool

i liked the "honk honk" sounds when granny drove by :D

Thanks sompson :)

The sounds are supposed to be similar to the Road Runner - "honk honk" not Beep Beep!!

daforum
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Hope I haven't missed anyone out when saying thanks for the feedback.
Anyone else seen it?

oliversimonnet
05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to share an animated short I created as the final film for my MA in Animation at the University West of England (UWE) Bristol, UK.
I was encouraged to try something I hadn't done before and this is what I created.

"One Off The List" (http://www.vimeo.com/11043925)

"Ethel visits a graveyard to place flowers at her husbands grave
and the Grim Reaper attempts to get her too.
He gives chase, trying different ways to remove her from his list."

For O.O.T.L. I used Lightwave 9.6 for the main production, but started off using LW 9.3 for pre-production (animatics and early models/ ideas etc)

The short gave me the chance to learn techniques I had seen discussed here on the forum and after watching video tutorials I was able to use those techniques in the production. Such techniques include baking textures, the reverse foot rig (love it!), Hypervoxels, Motion plugins, different passes for compositing in Post; and the advice and use of various plugins from contributors here on the forum - many thanks.
When LW 9.6 arrived I updated and also used (to my delight ) Render-Q. That meant I could line-up a lot of scenes for rendering - including all the different passes - go to bed and get a good nights sleep!
It was all done on a MacBookPro Laptop too.

It's loosely based on the Road Runner/ Coyote cartoons, as I didn't want to emulate the style - only the idea; and as I enjoyed watching the cartoons when I was younger it gave me the chance to try out a few of the jokes myself.

It's just a bit of fun and I hope you all enjoy.

are there any colleges at the south of the UK that use LightWave?

daforum
05-02-2010, 02:51 PM
are there any colleges at the south of the UK that use LightWave?

Not that I know of, sorry.

I had my own licenced copy of LightWave and used that for this project, but what I learnt was about Animation techniques from a traditional starting point and developed methods of working that I hadn't used before.

I also had the chance to learn a bit of Maya too, as that is the main 3D app at UWE.

oliversimonnet
05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
aaa ok well never mind

a ok cool cool

ok thank anyway :)

daforum
05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
aaa ok well never mind

a ok cool cool

ok thank anyway :)

No problem. I like your Legs Walk Cycle video on YouTube.

daforum
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Bump! (guilty as charged....) :)