PDA

View Full Version : New LScript: Circlify (like Untangle, but works)

MentalFish
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I have created a new LScript that makes a circular shape of your current polygon selection. It works on both regular polys as well as subpatches, and does not require to merge the polygons into one n-gon before running the script. It also works on non-planar polygon selections.

Video of it in use: http://www.vimeo.com/11225578

http://mentalfish.com/uploads/Circlify.png

Since this is going to be a commercial plugin, I would like to ask you guys what you would like it to cost, instead of me just wing'in it completely.

OnlineRender
04-26-2010, 01:35 AM
WE ARE NOT WORTHY , awesome work dude , was looking at your website /unity last night , very impressive , glad your the LW side and not the dark side :D

Matt
04-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Petter, awesome work! I remember being disappointed at NewTek's attempt at this, it worked, but only in certain situations, none of which were ever the ones I always needed.

Oh, and when will it be available?

Lewis
04-26-2010, 03:39 AM
It's really interesting to see how 3rd party always find solution :). I was also very disappointed with Lw modelers Untangle and it stayed unusable till this very day :(.

Either way it's good to see how smart this plugin is and works in all situations, even those which we wouldn't even consider .

KillMe
04-26-2010, 04:15 AM
very impressive tool - as for pricing hmmm i dont know - since its not something your gonna need all the time probably not going to command a huge price i'd happily pay $25 but i'm a hobbiest so people making a living from lightwave might be willing to pay more

or maybe newtek would like to incorporate it =)

evenflcw
04-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Nicely done! Looks very robust.

Red_Oddity
04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Another really nice addition to the toolkit.

Thanks

p.s. nice blog you have going as well.

Larry_g1s
04-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Great work Petter.

geothefaust
04-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Nice script Petter! I sure could have used that on a project last summer, hot damn.

Any release date idea on this?

Andyjaggy
04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Very nice. If I was still using modeler I would buy this in a sec.

Nicolas Jordan
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Cool script! It's one of those tools that doesn't really have a place in my day to day work but if I come across a project that would use it then it would definitely be worth getting.

sampei
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
that's pretty darn sweet. I use untangle quite often but this seems way better.
I don't know how much you worked on it so I really couldn't price it u__u

SBowie
04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
My first thought was 'This would be really cool for making a gas can'. :)

monovich
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM

if he did it in 15 minutes it wouldn't be worth less to a user than if he spent 6 days on it.

He is selling a product, not his time. If it works, it works.

seems to me like it'd be something I'd expect to pay $25-$40 for.

sampei
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
good point.

Nicolas Jordan
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
if he did it in 15 minutes it wouldn't be worth less to a user than if he spent 6 days on it.

He is selling a product, not his time. If it works, it works.

:agree: Developing a plugin, script or program isn't something you price according to the amount of time spent developing it. It might take a really experienced programmer 1 day to code something that might take a more inexperienced programmer 2 weeks to code. Does the experienced programmer charge less for his program because he was was able to code faster and be more efficient? No, he shouldn't. The flip side of this is also true.

I think the same goes for doing 3d work sometimes. Just because we might be able to do something quickly doesn't necessarily mean we should charge less because of it.

seems to me like it'd be something I'd expect to pay $25-$40 for.

I think many people would buy it for that range but I think the mass market price would probably be around $10-$20.

Revanto
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Ultimately, it is up to you but before you set a price, consider a few things.

- How often would people use this tool?
- How functional is the plugin? (does it have lots of options, etc...)
- How much have you pushed this plugin to see how stable it is? And will you update the plugin in the future and fix current bugs?

It would probably best if you had it converted into a proper plugin, too, instead of just and Lscript so someone can pinch your programming work.

I say that you charge at least $10 and then work on some other plugins that you could bundle in a pack and sell for a higher price. Just make sure that they would be tools that people would use often.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Bill Carey
04-27-2010, 03:16 AM
I wound up with the majority on the poll. For $10 I'd pick it up just because. More than that I'd have to wait until I had a specific use.

Nice work!

tyrot
04-27-2010, 03:21 AM
if you compare this with pictrix plugins... :) it should be free...sorry..

H_Molla
04-27-2010, 03:29 AM
awesome work man..

walfridson
04-27-2010, 03:33 AM

compared to dpont work, shouldn't LW be free ;)

It's very personal depending on the situation. For me I would've loved to released all my stuff for free but was "living on a thin line"... Felt like a joke charging for my stuff when denis was spitting out advanced nodes like crazy...

colkai
04-27-2010, 04:00 AM
compared to dpont work, shouldn't LW be free ;)

>>Chuckle<< I see your point. ;)

OlaHaldor
04-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Petter, dette var kjempetøft!! :)

I could see myself making holes in about anything..

probiner
04-27-2010, 05:10 AM

Well, i can do what Petter did on the video but had to do it in many steps, one of which i had to use a free plugin. So, if i had to do this operation many times in a relyable way, the small price wouldn't matter so much.

But like others said. Dpont and Pictrix and many, many others have grown habbits on us. ("bad" and swwwweeettt habbits =P)

MentalFish
04-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it!

Sometimes I make a script and give it away for free (all my scripts to date) so now I want to give this a try. I will continue to give away freebies, but not necessarily only freebies.

It will be available within a few days (or even just a few hours if all goes well). I have set up a solution in which you can supply your dongle number immediately after purchase and receive the serial without waiting for me to stumble over to a computer to manually create it and send it to you. Its also "dual license" if you supply the dongle id for both Mac and Windows.

In terms of free, I heard that my neighbour's son does 3D for free using Blender, so we should also work for free :D

mav3rick
04-27-2010, 05:45 AM
while you are at cyrclify can u do extended mode (under numeric panel) so it does same ngon covert but not limited to cyrcle ...something like cm_polyfansubdivide... as i see from examples you already made algorithm that works so just upgrade it with CYRCLE untoggle to be able to convert any NON cyrcular shapes out of ngons...

Snosrap
04-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Looks like a nice plug Peter. I voted for $5 because while the tool seems really good at what it does, it’s very limited in scope. I only occasionally use Untangle and that wouldn’t change with Circlify. My advice would be to sell it cheap and make it up on volume, especially with your hands free licensing system you’ve set-up. Just looking at the poll results so far (providing each voter actually purchased) you’d make more money at $10 than at $25 or $50. Also with Core right around the corner there is a lot of hesitation on user’s part to spend additional money on classic LW, so it seems like the cheaper the better. Also you might want to try the donation route with a minimum of say, $5. :D That way user’s that used it everyday and felt it worthy of more could donate more, as again shown by your poll. Anyway just my 2 cents.

erikals
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Beautiful ... maybe $20

(though i'm sure if i used it quite a lot i'd pay the double)

MentalFish
04-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Update: the plugin will be called Cheesify

http://mentalfish.com/uploads/Cheesify.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/11341761

No name change, but it does support multiple polygon islands now, so cheesifying any model is really easy.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, written and votes. As of right now the average voted price is about 13$. I am still in the thinking box on where the pricing will land.

Should there have been a number between 10 and 25 in the vote, and now that you can do this on multiple selections should the price multiply equally? :D 1$ pr polygon island possible to circlify? :thumbsup:

sampei
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
hehe lookin very good, I can see myself using that often. Goodbye untangle.
Lscripts work on 32 and 64 right?
but I still don't think the price should be multiplied..:D

adk
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM

http://mentalfish.com/uploads/Cheesify.jpg

... Exception / Tom was taking cheese donations at one point so I'm definitely gonna send him a copy of this :D just for a laugh.

Nice script MentalFish :thumbsup:

SBowie
04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Update: the plugin will be called CheesifyHmmm ... I think it could be used for 'expending an UZI clip', too. :)

GraphXs
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Great plug-in I say 10 bucks for the limit function of the plug-in. If the plug-in had UI controls for creating the circle and beveling it inward/outward then I would pay $25. Though it does do a lot better then untangle.

MentalFish
04-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Sampei, yes since it is LScript it will work. I have tried it on x32 and it works.

Great plug-in I say 10 bucks for the limit function of the plug-in. If the plug-in had UI controls for creating the circle and beveling it inward/outward then I would pay $25. Though it does do a lot better then untangle.

But wouldn't that decrease its functionality compared to the use of a shortcut + multishift? Mousing around is never as fast as slamming some keys on the keyboard :D

Matt
04-30-2010, 03:11 AM

Petter, don't call it that, please!

MentalFish
04-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Petter, don't call it that, please!
Just because you don't want it to be called Cheesify I think it has to be called Cheesify :neener:

probiner
04-30-2010, 04:07 AM
He was kidding i think Matt. Next time increase the sarcastic pitch Petter, cause in the video it kinda looks like you are going to change the name. Cheesy names scare costumers =P

JeffrySG
04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Great lscript! I don't use untangle too often but when I do it's great to have. There is always some cleanup work if it's on a nonplanar region so this lscript would be nice.

I do think it would be nice to have some other features in the script if possible. The option for other shapes like someone mentioned would be great. Maybe squares, or n-sided polygons.

And it would also be great if there was another option besides making a pole in the middle poly. Not sure if you could have one option for a ngon, pole, and possibly one option for connecting the points into quads/tris. (the way that the PolyFanSubdivide script does).

I wouldn't mind if there was a dialog box. It would be a little slower but it wouldn't be used so often that it would matter to me. Having more options would more than make up for it. Might be nice for an update at a later point. :)

Great work either way!

GraphXs
04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Sampei, yes since it is LScript it will work. I have tried it on x32 and it works.

But wouldn't that decrease its functionality compared to the use of a shortcut + multishift? Mousing around is never as fast as slamming some keys on the keyboard :D

Ya it's easy to just switch to extend or multishift, they are there, so no need to add a redundant feature. I was just expressing if the tool had some more options to it then that could justify more money for it. :thumbsup:

Either way it looks like a great tool! In Fact I can see myself dropping alot of cash for all the other tools coming from you! Better start saving!

JeffrySG
04-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Petter, are you planning on writing scripts for core as well? Will it be hard to update your scripts to work with core?

MentalFish
05-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Ya it's easy to just switch to extend or multishift, they are there, so no need to add a redundant feature. I was just expressing if the tool had some more options to it then that could justify more money for it. :thumbsup:
Gotcha, I thought it was a specific feature request, but I see your point now.

Petter, are you planning on writing scripts for core as well? Will it be hard to update your scripts to work with core?

I will evaluate CORE when it is released, and if it has features I'd see myself need/want/like to have, then I'll most likely get it and do Python scripts and such for that as well.

Also, thanks for the good input, I have made a spherify solution too now based on your previous feedback :thumbsup:

GraphXs
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey I have an Idea/addition for the tool, make it work with points. Imagine making a dice by creating a 4x4x4 cube. Then selecting all the points that need to become "circles" and it can expand the circle radius with a numeric gizmo for the user to adjust the size of the circles.

I currently do this with "True Fillet" with all the points i need to convert into circles on a box, but I then have to close/cap each circle I make. It's not that painful to do, I just though maybe if your tool could do this and have the circles created as polys already I just saved lots of steps.

erikals
05-02-2010, 02:43 PM
how about solid drill> stencil ?

(or, http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=611007&postcount=7)

GraphXs
05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
how about solid drill> stencil ?

(or, http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=611007&postcount=7)

I've used stencil before, I just want something I can continue to sub'd and not do a lot of clean up.

dnch
05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
does not matter how you call it, but release it now! i need this:)

MentalFish
05-23-2010, 08:09 AM
does not matter how you call it, but release it now! i need this:)

Pardon my delay on enabling it in the store, but it is now available as suggested at 10$ in the store: http://mentalfish.com/store/

After purchase go to My Account -> Downloads to get your serial.

When you're a first time customer, you will be asked to create an account. This is your MentalFish store account, but it does not contain any credit card info. The MentalFish account is to get serials for plugins and download products in download under your account settings.

If you have any problems, give me a shout and I'll make sure it's sorted out.

sampei
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
argh...you have pm.

MentalFish
05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
argh...you have pm.

Yup yup, and you got an email ;) lets nail this sucker. Can you also specify what OS and browser + version you're on, that would be of help.

sampei
05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm using Vista 64 and explorer 64

sampei
05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
all solved, many thanks to Petter for his help, fast and efficient.
The script works great and I'm looking forward to using it :)

MentalFish
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
all solved, many thanks to Petter for his help, fast and efficient.
The script works great and I'm looking forward to using it :)

Cool, good to hear!

I wonder why you weren't automatically added as a customer to the DB, its a bit of a mystery. Some sort of mis-communication between PayPal and the shopping cart solution I am using, bad shopping cart :twak: none of my other customers have reported that problem before. If it happens again, I'll have to look deeper into it.

GraphXs
05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Ordered...can't wait for it!:thumbsup:

GraphXs
05-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Now....Keystone please!

sampei
05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been doing a bit of testing and except for some minor issues I'm happy with the script.
I hope it's ok if I post some things that happened while using Circilfy on a speed model I was working on last night...
The first pictures I have attached show how, at one point, selecting the polys and running the script resulted in some buggy outcomes like:

1) a huge circlification
2) a distorted circlification
3) it shot the selection miles away from it's native coordinates

I also tested it on a simple flat box to make sure it wasn't my model that had some problem, but even on the square circlify still wasn't behaving.

I shut down modeler and opened it and most of these bugs did not re-occur, the script behaved in most situations except for the selection on the model's head (see grabs) where it kept scaling up everything into a huge circlification. Of course it was sufficient to size it down but still a bit of a pain to align the edges (and loss of precision in the topography).

Overall i'm satisfied with the purchase, but are these small bugs going to be addressed? I think it could become an essential modeling tool. :)

sampei
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
huh more evidence ! :deal:

MentalFish
05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
could you send me the model so I can check whats going on?

sampei
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
of course, here it is (probably I've been doing something I shouldn't?hehe)

adhesiveX
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I purchased Circlify and experienced the same things Sampei mentioned.

MentalFish
05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Issue fixed, new version available for download.

As you can see from the screenie, it does not explode anymore.

sampei
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
excellent, thanks. :thumbsup:
do I just download it again on my account/downloads ?

MentalFish
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes, but perhaps it has some cache issue and give you the old one. If it still gives you a problem, I'll email it to you instead.

MentalFish
05-27-2010, 08:59 PM
I have set PayPal Express as the payment solution, so the process should be more streamlined now.

sampei
05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
it seems to work perfectly so far, thanks Petter :)

WilliamVaughan
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I’ve been using Untangle for my character meshes a lot over the last year and it looks like Circlify is going to completely replace it.

Smart tool.... performs as advertised and is at the right price!

erikals
06-16-2010, 03:48 PM
look forward to the next plugin :]

Waves of light
07-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Just order this Lscript. Can't wait to get the serial number so I can have a play.

MentalFish
07-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks for purchasing the plugin.

You get your serial number by logging into your MentalFish store account. First time around you need to go here to retrieve your password: http://mentalfish.com/store/account/?acct=recover

Once you're logged in you specify your dongle id and get your serial from the site.

Waves of light
07-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks for purchasing the plugin.

You get your serial number by logging into your MentalFish store account. First time around you need to go here to retrieve your password: http://mentalfish.com/store/account/?acct=recover

Once you're logged in you specify your dongle id and get your serial from the site.

Hi, I don't seem to be able to view/specify my dongle ID anywhere.

Regards,

Richard.

MentalFish
07-29-2010, 04:56 AM
You did not specify a dongle the first time you requested the serial so it registered to dongle id 0 and returning empty as the serial number.

I deleted the entry to the database so you should be able to do it now.

I guess I should make a little script that checks if something has been entered in the dongle id input field, just to be sure.

Waves of light
07-29-2010, 04:59 AM
You did not specify a dongle the first time you requested the serial so it registered to dongle id 0 and returning empty as the serial number.

I deleted the entry to the database so you should be able to do it now.

I guess I should make a little script that checks if something has been entered in the dongle id input field, just to be sure.

Oh, sorry. That might have been me rushing through the process. All sorted now. Thanks for sorting it, will have a play.

Richard.

MentalFish
07-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Oh, sorry. That might have been me rushing through the process. All sorted now. Thanks for sorting it, will have a play.

Richard.

No prob, I really should make the system less touchy :)

Let me know if you have any other issues with it.

3dWannabe
08-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm interested in finding a tool that would, instead of indenting, round the selected polys outward.

For example, if you took some text and made it 3d, the surfaces of the text facing upward would be flat. It would be cool to be able to select those flat surface polys, and round them upwards.

Would your plug-in do this? (I'm probably overlooking some built in feature of Lightwave, no doubt).

BTW - I found this Picasso quote amusing. I'm sure we can all use it from time to time with clients:

that's pretty darn sweet. I use untangle quite often but this seems way better.

Picasso was sitting at a table outside a Paris cafe. A woman came up to him and asked him to draw a portrait of her. She said she’d pay him whatever it was worth. He complied, and in three minutes, voíla!, an original Picasso.

After he quickly finished he requested the French equivalent of $5,000. Aghast the woman said — “but it only took you 2 minutes!”

Smiling, the great man replied — “no Madam, it took me my whole life.”

adk
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Heya Petter,

Just grabbed all your scripts + the prototype pack on the account of Larry. Kudos to you on a really great gesture & to all the others that have chipped in to help.

On a very insignificant note ... I keep getting "Dongle id not specified" even tho I entered one so not sure what the heck I did wrong there.

MentalFish
08-04-2010, 03:03 AM
I'm interested in finding a tool that would, instead of indenting, round the selected polys outward.

For example, if you took some text and made it 3d, the surfaces of the text facing upward would be flat. It would be cool to be able to select those flat surface polys, and round them upwards.

Would your plug-in do this? (I'm probably overlooking some built in feature of Lightwave, no doubt).

Circlify does not round in or out, it only rounds the polygons, then its up to you to use tools such as multishift to extrude or indent the polygons.

@adk, can you log in and give it another go, i just changed something.

JohnMarchant
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Circlify does not round in or out, it only rounds the polygons, then its up to you to use tools such as multishift to extrude or indent the polygons.

@adk, can you log in and give it another go, i just changed something.

Sorry to but in and off topic, just brought Poly Islands and Circlify got the serial for Circlify but did the same thing for Poly Islands but no serial came out.

Regards John

OlaHaldor
08-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I had problems to get the serials as well. I tried more or less five times before I could get them, and I had to input both for Mac and PC at the same time, or else it didn't work.

JohnMarchant
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I had problems to get the serials as well. I tried more or less five times before I could get them, and I had to input both for Mac and PC at the same time, or else it didn't work.

Thanks for that, i input both at the same time but on 1 came out, guess i will have to try again.

Regards John

MentalFish
08-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Please try again now.

JohnMarchant
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Please try again now.

Thanks allot seemed to work now.

Regards John

adk
08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I entered mine one at a time Petter & only got one (Poly Islands) to generate a serial. Circlify remains blank & I can't seem to go back to the entering / generating part. Cheers

MentalFish
08-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Try again adk, i just deleted the blank entry.

Sorry about this, I need to add some checks in the server script so this can not happen.

adk
08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
No problemo mate :thumbsup: all sorted now. Cheers a bunch.

MentalFish
12-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks to all who bought this plugin, the proceeds went to a good cause. I have decided to release it as an uncompiled lscript for all to have, so now you can download it from here: http://mentalfish.com/uploads/lscripts/MFCirclify.zip

bazsa73
12-11-2010, 10:02 AM
George Lucas could use it in the new Star Wars!

funk
12-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks for leaving it uncompiled so we can learn from it! Looking forward to many awesome swiss cheese models ;)

daforum
12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Many thanks for the free lscript. I look forward to using it :)

Skonk
12-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Wish I'd had this script years ago would have saved me loads of time.

Thanks for the freebie :)

MentalFish
08-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Bump, swapped around a couple of lines so it also works in 11.x
http://mentalfish.com/lscripts/MFCirclify.zip

BigHache
08-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Thank you!

MentalFish
08-08-2014, 05:16 AM
But I must add, due to the change in Modeler's built in Smooth function, the end result is not as nice as it was by launch (LW 9.6). Smooth was changed in 10, and it bodged the result in Circlify.

djwaterman
08-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Oh, I've just been using the older version with no issues. I guess I should swap it with this then, to see why It's better.

Bill Carey
08-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Bump, swapped around a couple of lines so it also works in 11.x
http://mentalfish.com/lscripts/MFCirclify.zip

Thanks!

tonyrizo2003
08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
very cool script!!

daforum
08-13-2014, 04:00 AM
But I must add, due to the change in Modeler's built in Smooth function, the end result is not as nice as it was by launch (LW 9.6). Smooth was changed in 10, and it bodged the result in Circlify.

So for those who still have and use LW9.6 it's best to use the old one, or will the new version work as well?

daforum
08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Anyone?

daforum
08-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Anyone x2 ?

MentalFish
08-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Pardon my AFK'ness, but ye, if you are using LW 9.6.1 and below, then use the old version.

daforum
09-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Cool, thanks for the info Peter :thumbsup: