PDA

View Full Version : Texturing question

webnel
09-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Ok, I'm new to texturing and need some help. I'm trying to make my own leaves the same shape as the image of the leaf I have. Thinking I could texture the polygon and then clone it around and make a bunch of leaves, but the image doesn't stick as the original. Must be something with UV or Vmap? Could using a polygon, leaf image and a mask for it be the solution for this? Anyway I'm lost and need to learn a technique for making textured leaves that can be cloned in mass. Any tips or known tutorials for this would really help out.

Thanks

09-11-2003, 10:49 AM
I'm afraid that maps stay where you put them.
If you move a surface in modeler, the maps stay where they are.
So make one leaf, surface it, save it, and clone it in layout.
I know its frightning having hundreds of tiny objects, but if they're all parented to a single object (branch?) you can colapse them in Scene editor !

Most people, if not going for a 3D sculptured leaf, would just use a single 4 sided polygon with an image map and a transparency map, - those zigzag edges are a bit of a waste of time on a 2D object. ( unless you want rartraced refraction in your scene, when one often has to resort to real geometry !)

An interesting alternative is to make 1 leaf and texture it with your image (call the texture 'Leaf'?, and save it as 'leaf.lwo
Then copy and paste it into as many layers as you like of another object 'Branch', with a bare branch perhaps on layer 1 - but only one leaf per layer on the other layers, and give all of these leaves the surface ('target'?). With your branch layer in the background move each layer's leaf to adifferent position - you can rotate it, bend it , stretch it etc but you must not add or delete any polys or points.
Load the Branch object in layout, make all layers except 1 100% disolved (item properties).
Load 'leaf', give it morph target 'Branch' layer 2, 100% morphed
Clone it as many times as you made other leaves.
'point' each clone at a different layer of 'branch'.
If you add some gentle fractal changes to diffuse, spec, reflect, etc. and make them 'world cordinates' you will get a variation in leaf.
Unfortunately the variation will stay put when you move the branch.
Sort of 'back were we started'

Makes you wonder how it took nature so long don't it ?

09-11-2003, 11:22 AM
PS
'Leaf squashed flat on scanner' is probably not the best start

thekho
09-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Search for clonez on www.flay.com which will help you. This clonez plug in can clone it with same UV map as you apply it .

Oracle77
09-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Make one leaf, make a UV map, apply texture that way and copy it wherever you please, layout, modeler, cause the texture will be pinned to the geometry!

Wade
09-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Oracle 77 knows what he is talking about, and once its UV mapped and texture you can scale, twist, flip and whatever else you like to add variety. While your at it make a whole branch then a tree.

wade

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1203&highlight=clip+map

09-13-2003, 01:49 AM
Duh!
Must've had my brain in neutral !

webnel
09-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll do the UV route and I like the idea of clipped maps too.