PDA

View Full Version : Cloth problems

Salim
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm trying to finish up my final project for animation I and it seems to have run into a problem with my cloth simulations.

Ok, so I have this character (so to speak) that has a red cape. I simply want it to blow in the wind. Easy enough. At first I used LW's default cloth Fx but it kept glitching a giving me errors. By scanning the forums I found out its not very much use. So I used the school's Syflex plugin. There are no errors but it gives me the same problem. When I apply the Syflex to my mesh it just screws it all up. Can't really explain so I posted a pic. Does anybody know why the hell its doing this??

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/Battlehungry/king1.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/Battlehungry/king2.jpg

erikals
04-25-2010, 02:50 PM
not sure, check http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=erikalst+syflex&aq=f

Salim
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the link. But I've seen these tutorials and applying it isn't the problem. I had this same problem with lightwave's own cloth fx. I don't know maybe it's something in the scene that's causing it??

erikals
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
it's hard to say, you might have to share the scene, or parts of it...

Salim
04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
What do you mean by share?

I have a feeling this is just a bad glitch. Because it happens randomly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... I just applied a LW's cloth just for some troubleshooting and it works. But this happened many times I'm sure its going to glitch again...

Dodgy
04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Do you have the cape as a separate object or part of the main object? I think what might be happening is you're changing the point order of the object after doing a cloth sim. Once you've done the sim, you can't change the object without doing the sim again, since it stores the deformation per point. If you change it, by adding more points, the deformations will be operating on different points, thus glitching, which is what looks like happening in your picture, and could explain why both syflex and clothfx are doing it.

The best idea is to make your cape a separate object, set Subdivision order to last, and then you can change your main object as much as you like without affecting the cape object. If you need to change your cape, you can do so and the cloth sim will solve faster since it's not dealing with the main object's points as well.

I've used clothfx many times in the past, and this looks more like operator error than a clothfx problem at the moment.

Salim
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks a bunch Dodgy, was beginning to think it was something i was changing and didn't realize. I do have the cape as separate object as the main object but the shoulder pads and cape are a single object. But I believe changing the subdivision order solves the problem. Thanks again!

Dodgy
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Glad I could help.

THREEL
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks a bunch Dodgy, was beginning to think it was something i was changing and didn't realize. I do have the cape as separate object as the main object but the shoulder pads and cape are a single object. But I believe changing the subdivision order solves the problem. Thanks again!

That's exactly what I was thinking, when I read through this thread, Subdivision Order. It can be the fall of many a Lightwave boy, or girl.