PDA

View Full Version : summer deal..what's next?

cresshead
09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
okay here's my decision problem:

the lightwave upgrade summer deal runs out on monday...
i'm looking at getting th upgrade to lightwave 8 and the free digital fusion+ upgrade pack...

but

i already own combustion 2...
digital fusion seems a good idea if only to add some new tools alongside of combustion such as grid warp for example.

i'm not that interested in the 5 dvd other offer as a student of mine has them so i can look at them if i want to....just need to buy 'em a pizza or whatever!

do ya think there's going to be a different "deal" soon after monday's runs out??

am i going to kick myself if i go n get the digital usion deal and say for instance a sasquatch deal comes out the following week where you get a full sas bundle or a G2 bundle....

what do ya think?

steve g

moth0027
09-11-2003, 09:47 AM
I know what you mean. I have been thinking about the Lightwave [7.5] upgrade +5 training DVDs +free download of Lightwave [8] but I am not sure if I should wait.

I'm also going to the Lightwave training tour in London and thought they might be doing some deals there to.

Sorry this does not help at all but at least you know you're not alone.

Zach
09-11-2003, 11:14 AM
I just upgraded 5 days ago, and I'm wondering where you guys are finding this info about the dvd's?

moth0027
09-11-2003, 11:30 AM
The offer if form this site:

http://www.oneanimation.net

I think I have seen it elsewhere but I have no idea if it's avalible in the US

The DVDs are from Desktop Images.

TyVole
09-11-2003, 12:22 PM
This is always the question.

If you are satisfied with Combustion, I don't see how DFX+ really adds much. But if you're not satisfied, and you like the DF demo, . . .

Also keep in mind that C3 is coming out next month with a cheap upgrade price.

After 9/15, there could be some sweet new deal. But there could also be nothing. It's like that old TV show Let's Make a Deal -- do you risk what you've got for what's behind door number 2?

As for me, if I had waited three days before buying LW, I would've gotten the free LW8 upgrade and a free HP Xeon. So, I'm gonna wait for door #2.

cresshead
09-11-2003, 01:54 PM
aGGGH.. i really don't know wahat to do here.....

think i may need to spin a coin on monday!

any hints would be good!

steve g

VirtualFM
09-11-2003, 08:26 PM
I think it all depends on how much longer you are willing to wait... Newtek usually has some nice deals on Christmas... So if you want to wait another 3 months... It may even be a worse deal than this association with Eyeon, but since you don't need DFX+ maybe you will be more happy with L8 and a box of chocolates :-)

moth0027
09-12-2003, 04:42 AM
mmmm...chocolate

By the way, cresshead, what does your student friend think about the Desktop Images DVDs?

Are they worth getting?

If they are then I think my decision will be made.

trick
09-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Don't get seduced by offers, they will always BE !!! Just think about what you NEED, and put it on the project BILL !!!

( LW8, PShop8, AFX6, Premiere Pro, StudioMX2004, MAX6, C3, Modo, Animanium and the list keeps growing the longer you wait with upgrading...)

wizlon
09-12-2003, 05:52 AM
We ordered 4 extra Lightwave seats here at Dyson, and received 4 sets of training DVD's.
I've only watched the first two, but definately recommend them so far.

monty3d
09-12-2003, 06:29 AM
Hey, the one with the free DVDs is the full version, not the upgrade. So you get an extra seat! I have 2 seats myself and just upgraded one (with the DFX+ deal). Im waiting for what comes next before we upgrade the second one.

And by the way, they ship internationally. I dont know if they will charge the VAT in that case tho.

policarpo
09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
for what it is worth, DFX+ is fast as hell.
Before i decided on DF i compared it to combustion by using the demos and I can honestly tell you that DF was so much easier to use than C2.

Download the DF demo this weekend and give it a whirl. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what it can do.

And download the movies Larry created to get you up to speed.

Good luck on the decision...whatever it is, you'll make the right one, cause in the end you will get LightWave 8. :)

moth0027
09-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by monty3d
Hey, the one with the free DVDs is the full version, not the upgrade.

They also do an upgrade offer with the DVDs.

I think all the offers come in three different flavours:

Full version
Upgrade +Duo Dongle
or Upgrade

with either DFX+ or DVDs

cresshead
09-12-2003, 01:00 PM
well i've now scanned thru most of the dvd's and they are brilliant!
the take you through making a character head, body then rigging then animating the body plus animating the face and lip sync...
a total end to end character model rig and animate production.

and delivered quite well..thereos probably around 20 hours of tutorials on the toal dvd's....whew!

re my choice::
on monday i'm getting the digital fusion upgrade deal...
as i can watch the dvd's when i need to and benefit from digital fusion+....and get lightwave 8!

cool

steve g

Stranahan
09-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by policarpo

And download the movies Larry created to get you up to speed.

Larry did movies, too!?! Neat!

Like Poli said - the deal is really for LightWave 8 - DFX+ is just the best bonus offer in the history of the world.

cresshead
09-15-2003, 11:47 AM
well i held out as long as i could.....finally upgraded today to lightwave 8 and digital fusion+....

cool...

i hope theirs no surprises and a different monster deal around the corner!

steve g

Stranahan
09-15-2003, 01:00 PM
No, it's same monster deal....

archiea
09-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I have 2 mac LW licenses...

6.0, which I used for the X.X -> 7.5 (then 8) with DFX.

And 7.5 that I haven't updated yet.

Considering that I have two macs and one PC, the X.x to 7.5 was the better value. Since the 7.5 to 8.0 deal was the same price, I didn;t need a second copy of DFx (since I have onl one PC).

If they do a Mirage deal, then I'm screwed...:D

Thanks for the deal, BTW, NT. I hope it helps push V 8 forward....

C2, and the upcoming C3 has some priblems. The Paint module is a bit buggy, and from what my pals beta testing C3 have told me, C3 would make a poor C2.5, let alone a C3.

I hope Discreet gets their ducks in a row for... C3.1? as I think failing to properly support Combustion would be a crime. if only to drive development further with other compositing app...

Had their been a Photoshop competitor, we could have had Photoshop 7 at ver 5.0. 'nuff said.