PDA

View Full Version : composition software

DONGLE THIS!
09-11-2003, 08:51 AM
anyone know of any good compo software that the pros use.
please let me know.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 09:23 AM
After Effects, Shake, Digital Fusion, Nuke, Combustion... make your choice.

WizCraker
09-11-2003, 01:23 PM
If you hurry you can buy the upgrade to 8 and get DFX+ free.

munky
09-11-2003, 01:51 PM
with compositing software you have to ask yourself, what exactly you will be expecting it to do for you. If it is just to comp 3d stuff together and you are using a pc then DFX looks like a excellent bet; bear in mind the free version is linked to your lightwave dongle and comes with only two modules which are geared to comping 3d). If you intend to do more varied motion graphics type stuff then combustion or after fx would be better. If you want to get heavily into fx compositing then shake and nuke would be the gig. also you will find one that suits your wallet and your way of working.

the best thing is to download the demo versions and try them out.
adobe has afx 6 out with a demo version available. discreet has just announced combustion3 soon(windows only until osx panther G5 optimised version happens in the spring) but you can get a demo of c2 and I'm pretty sure the others have too. You will find older threads on this subject so search them out.

regards

paul

DONGLE THIS!
09-11-2003, 05:48 PM
now wich one has a good learning tool, is easy to learn qiuck, and also i can import avi files,
remembr im new to all this, im just really hitting 3d, i want to learn a bit how in the world did they make hulk, or how does a 3d object interact with a live scene.

thanks for all your input
:)

Zafar Iqbal
09-11-2003, 07:32 PM
If you are used to Photoshop, then After Effects would be rather easy to learn. Combustion is easy as well - took me a weekend to learn about most of the basics etc.

Beamtracer
09-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Shake is at the top of the tree, and it has a high price to match. Shake was used to make Lord Of The Rings.

Midrange is After Effects (Production Bundle) and Combustion

Bottom range is DFX+, because it can only work with 8-bit-per-channel images.

Professionals generally use 16bpc images or even 32bpc for compositing.

WizCraker
09-12-2003, 02:59 AM
The only reason you would use 16 or greater is if you are working on film, and Digital Fusion is perfect for that. Blur is a major studio that uses it and they have put out some excellent work. Yes DFX+ is 8 bit perfect for anything video related and will work with HD[unless you shoot at HD to later blow up to film it would be best to get the DF HD version that does uncompressed HDTV and 8/10 Bit 4:2:2 sampling and is built just for HD], Also DFX+ is just not for 3d the modules let you customize it for what you do most. They include:

Module 1 - Visual effects
Module 2 - Keying
Module 3 - Input/Output
Module 4 - 3D Tools
Module 5 - Distributed Network Rendering
Module 6 - Paint
Module 7 - Particle Suite

Dongle This!

For Digital Fusion and DFX+ info goto http://www.eyeonline.com/

Nuke from D2 Software http://www.d2software.com [Digital Domains very own Compositing program]. Is $6000 though which makes it on the expensive side where as Digital Fusion and Shake are at $5000. Combustion 2.1 is $1000. All these packages are Node based. After Effects 6 starts at $600 for Standard and ends at $1000 for Pro, it is not Node Based but does up to 16 bit Color.

I personaly like both Digital Fusion and Shake [I have the old Windows version 2.4 before Apple bought Nothing Real] If you have a Mac I would say save up and get Shake if not then get the DFX+ bundle with lightwave if you have not already and if you want the full blown version save up and get Digital Fusion.

TyVole
09-12-2003, 05:27 AM
16-bit compositors are not only for film work, but for giving you greater range when performing certain affects, and therefore giving you greater results.

DONGLE THIS!
09-12-2003, 06:06 AM
hey, thanks for your input guys.
I have decided that (my personel project)
i want to shoot a live scene in my house, i have a mini cam corder,
save it as a avi or mpeg, then i want to throw it in a composition software. and all my objects i will make them in lw.
now what software should i use for all this, and dont have any skills with any composition programs
is combustion good for this, will it do the job?

or something else.

thanks
ps.
i also want my objects to cast a shadow with my live scene.