PDA

View Full Version : Color Maps

kcsull
04-24-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm new to LW ( since Aug.09 - my version is 9.6) and when I try to create a Vertex Color Map the surface selected turns black.I follow a web tutorial by William Vaughan exactly. I'm trying to learn the program from tutorials as I find in my case the official documentation is not newcomer friendly.Any advice would be appreciated.

BeeVee
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
That might be completely normal? We need more information to be of more help. What video by William are you talking about, what are you trying to make, what are you trying to achieve with the Vertex Color Map? Lastly, a screenshot of your model would be helpful.

B

Snosrap
04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Try this:

1. Create a box
2. Go to the Multiply tab and select Subdivide
3. select Metaform in the panel that opens up and hit OK
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 several times – this should give a nice subdivided ball.
5. Go to the lower right W T M C S weight map selections and select C and in the dropdown select New
6. The Create Vertex Color Map panel will open up, select your Surface in the Apply To Surface dropdown and press Create
7. Go to the Map tab and select Airbrush
8. In the Numeric panel select a color and begin to paint on your subdivided mesh
9. Save object and send to Layout
10. Open Surface panel, select your surface and go to the Advance tab
11. Set the Vertex Color Map dropdown to Vertex Color (Or whatever you named it in step 6) and turn the percentage to 100%
12. Render

See if that works.

Hint: The more points in your object the more “resolution” you have so don’t be afraid to subdivide your object.

Good luck.

kcsull
04-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Texture: Introduction to Vertex Color Maps under Surfacing Texturing.Iwas trying to follow William's Tut and Apply some blush to the cheeks of a head model for practice.He can see where to airbrush but I cant with the surface turning black when I create the color map

Snosrap
04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Texture: Introduction to Vertex Color Maps under Surfacing Texturing.Iwas trying to follow William's Tut and Apply some blush to the cheeks of a head model for practice.He can see where to airbrush but I cant with the surface turning black when I create the color map

Ok-forget his tut for a second and try the above mini-tut just to see if Vertex color maps are working. Is his tut on the web somehere? If so post a link.

kcsull
04-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Surface still turns black when vertex color map is createdftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/color.mov

kcsull
04-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for reply. I'm trying to learn by following tutorials as I find it's better to see how things are done rather than to read how things are done. Kevin

BeeVee
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
And you're sure you haven't selected black as your colour in Airbrush?

B

kcsull
04-29-2010, 02:30 AM
No. The surface selected in "Create Color Map" turns black before the Airbrush Tool is selected. On clicking "Create" the named surface turns black. Kevin

littlewaves
04-29-2010, 02:49 AM
I think I've had this problem before. I think I dismissed it at the time as a bug on the Mac version but I see you're using windows so maybe not.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

littlewaves
04-29-2010, 03:09 AM
okay try hitting "D" for display options and playing around with the open GL settings (maybe take a screen shot of where they're currently at so you can switch them back!)

I'm pretty sure there's a bug here but that might just be on the Mac so might be worth you trying. I found that the shading method needs to be set to MultitextureShaders for the color map to be visible in the viewport.

kcsull
04-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Littlewavers you're a Littlebeauty as I did as you suggested and changed the GL to MultitexturesShaders and everything works like a charm. Beautymate. Kevin

littlewaves
04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Excellent! glad to be of service.

Unfortunately now I have to go and bury myself in the open beta forum so I can ***** about how color maps are still buggy as hell on the Mac!

Or maybe it's just my Mac.

Snosrap
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Littlewavers you're a Littlebeauty as I did as you suggested and changed the GL to MultitexturesShaders and everything works like a charm. Beautymate. Kevin

Glad you got it figured out. Sometimes those little things can just drive a guy mad.