PDA

View Full Version : Weight Map Displacement

boarslight
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Why can't I figure this out? How can I get a displacement map to affect only objects with a certain weight map without placing those objects on a different layer?

probiner
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
There are many ways i guess. Here go some.

SplineGod
04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
With layers you can also use the weight map as the input parameter to a gradient with the blending mode set to alpha.

boarslight
04-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, I'll give these a try this morning and let you know how it goes. I was working with the gradient layer, but I never set it to alpha. That could have been the trick.

sampei
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I had some trouble with this a while back, there's a cool tutorial in the training video section that explains that a vertex map weight node can be plugged directly in the opacity of the image or procedural driving the displacement if im not mistaken...

boarslight
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I went in the node direction and that is working well right now. I need to get my nodal skills up so that I can better understand how to build these setups from scratch.

sampei
04-26-2010, 01:03 PM
using nodes has a lot to do with hierarchies and logical input-output relationships, I find it useful to go through the node section of the manual every now and then and sometimes just playing about with them can help understand the nodal system or just get use to it...there's also quite a lot of William's tutorials crammed with cool techniques with nodes :)