PDA

View Full Version : rendering with alpha channel

dasnico
04-23-2010, 09:28 AM
hello to all Im new to this forum.

Im a max user so im very new with lightwave.

in max if you choose to render with a targa or png file you will get a render with a transparent background. how do you get this with lightwave?
I render with a targa file but there is a solid background behind it.

thank you

nickdigital
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Make sure to use the "32" versions of the file format.

LW_PNG32
LW_TGA32
etc.

dasnico
04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
hey thx for the reply!

I did but that didnt do the trick. strange isnt it.

nickdigital
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Do you have something in the render that would be blocking your alpha?

dasnico
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
nope nothing at all.

But is it working on your lightwave? if you render as png 323 do you get an alpha?

lwaddict
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
You sure that you're not aiming the camera into something like a ground plane object or something in the back?

Because it's always worked with 32bit tga or png's.

And if there is something in the way,
you can set how it'll be handled in the alpha as well...
<don't have Lightwave in front of me at the moment but
I believe it's under the Object->Properties panel.>

nickdigital
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Do this.

Do a F9 render of your scene. In the Image Viewer window on the far right there's a pulldown menu that'll give you the option between Image and Alpha.

Toggle between those. Toggling to Alpha will obviously show you what your alpha channel looks like. If your F9 render looks right saving out to any of those 32 options should save out the proper image with the proper alpha.

Danner
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
hello to all Im new to this forum.

Im a max user so im very new with lightwave.

in max if you choose to render with a targa or png file you will get a render with a transparent background. how do you get this with lightwave?
I render with a targa file but there is a solid background behind it.

thank you

Just to be clear on the problem. Are you rendering TO a pgn or tga, or are you rendering a surface WITH a png or tga on as a texture?

If you are having issues with mapping a surface with an image with alpha you must understand that mapping on the color channel using an image with an alpha will not make the object transparent, it will let you see other textures in that same surface underneath that image. For transparency you need to map an image to the transparency channel.

Serling
04-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Here's another quick way to test for alpha on a render:

Toggling an F9 render between image and alpha will show you if you do - in factr - have an alpha. You can also save an F9 render as an RGBA image (RGB+Alpha) as either TIFF, TGA, or PNG providing you specify the 32 bit versions of these formats.

If you're trying to render an animation as Quick Time, use the Animation codec and make sure it's set to save as "Millions of Colors +". Like the "A" in RGBA, "+" in QT means "Alpha."

OnlineRender
04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
dont suppose your trying to get a zdepth path into AE ?