PDA

View Full Version : Beveling and Fillets - again and again and again...

Mylenium
09-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Hi everyone,

Having not so long ago already "requested" adding Richard Brak's Rounder to the standard Modeler tools, I once more want to/ need to point out the need for dramatically enhanced beveling/ smooth shifting tools. Especially over the last few months such tools as Rounder, David Ikedas Power Tools, Bevel++ and Jagoca's two LScripts have proven that it is doable. I mean if 3rd party programmers can work their way around the LW SDK/ LScript, why can't NT implement such functions natively? It's really ridiculous. Luckily enough some of those tools are available freely but still NT's behavior in this case for me is unacceptable. It cannot be that difficult to combine all those ideas into one powerful bevel/ smooth shift/ fillet tool.

Mylenium

Rory_L
09-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Here here! And if possible, don`t make it like Maya`s beveler, which produces nasty, unwanted extra points.

R

geoff3dnz
09-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Luckily enough some of those tools are available freely but still NT's behavior in this case for me is unacceptable. Why? You say yourself some of the tools you mentioned are free. You've probably got them. What's the big incentive for NewTek recreating the wheel? Sure, I suppose it wouldn't hurt if they were native, but it's surely not that big a deal. I would be pretty disappointed if all LW 8.0's modeler had was tools that I already have.

Mylenium
09-11-2003, 11:44 PM
The problem with the tools is that they are not really integrated - sure, I can assign them any button I like and place them wherever I want, but it would be much more comfortable to have them integrated into the standard bevel/ smooth shift tool. There I would only need to activate certain options instead of having to use an entirely different tool. Also due to limitations in LW's SDK they are only pseudo-interactive or not interactive at all, don't use gizmos and some LScripts even use more then one step so they consume a lot of undos.

Mylenium

Exper
09-12-2003, 07:13 AM
I totally agree!
NT must expand Bevel and SmoothShift tools!

geoff3dnz...
NT doesn't need to rewrite from scratch;
a single SuperBevel and SuperSmoothShift will be very appreciated by the 99% of us!

Bye.