PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Newsletter APRIL 2010 discussion thread

TheDeacon
04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
This is the official discussion thread for the APRIL 2010 edition of the LightWave Newsletter.

Click HERE (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php) to get filled in on all the latest news, including:

-Exciting update on LightWave with Core technology by Jay Roth
-Project News on Lunar Rover
-A beautiful picture of the month
-LWCAD preset pack download!
-Information on Animation Alchemy
-Creating a CGI short

hrgiger
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
The CORE shader looks nice!

MAUROCOR
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Soooooooooooooo nice!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/profiles/imagesimage/newsletter/04_2010/jroth/Buddha2.png

geothefaust
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah that's pretty swanky lookin'...

Matt
04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
First time we've seen the SSAO in action, VERY nice guys, very nice indeed!

stevecullum
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah very nice!

I'm wondering of that's normal or displacement details in the viewport on the model?

Mike_RB
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah very nice!

I'm wondering of that's normal or displacement details in the viewport on the model?

Neither, its a scan isnt it?

jayroth
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah very nice!

That's just the standard mesh as it is, with SSAO and bloom combined.

Nicolas Jordan
04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Nice! Look at that, a bloom effect without having to use an image filter thingy. :D

stevecullum
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
That's just the standard mesh as it is, with SSAO and bloom combined.

Ah ok. Perhaps viewport normal maps are an announcement for another time. :)

Cageman
04-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice work guys! CORE is shaping up, step by step! :thumbsup:

The FPS seem to be very good too!

:)

mav3rick
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
nice NT.... this means lot more CG shaders to be included in future? normal map shading?

speismonqui
04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
i dont get it... the budha viewport screenshot isnt the VPR? solid view in perspective viewport?

khan973
04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeeah, I'm really looking forward to get normal mapping, bump, texture based specular and diffuse in the viewport. It can be a huge improvement!

Samus
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Hmm... Good to know we have "SSAO" Looks good Sadly those news letters make me miss William Vaughan and his Videos showing new LW Features. Videos instead of pick's Like for that Bullet physics!!

Anyways...hope we get that Bi-Monthly news on Core soon.

sam

hrgiger
04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
i dont get it... the budha viewport screenshot isnt the VPR? solid view in perspective viewport?

Yes, that's a realtime shader. Not VPR which is preview/progressive rendering.

probiner
04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice CORe news.
Congrats to Gennady Guryanov and to Michael Scaramozzino

Yeeah, I'm really looking forward to get normal mapping, bump, texture based specular and diffuse in the viewport. It can be a huge improvement!

This would be nice. I think the Transparent Wireframe (that seems to take place in some CORE screenshots) is also a great improvement modeling wise.

a fake example

Cheers

prometheus
04-22-2010, 12:20 AM
why isn´t the newsletter for april announcement posted in the newtek 3d announcements?

Michael

flashover
04-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Cool newsletter :D

serge
04-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Considering Bullet dynamics:

> Does Bullet work with separate objects only, or does it work with 'parts' as well (like HardFX). In case of a scene with hundreds or thousands of objects it's not very nice if we end up with separate objects and an equal amount of MDD files.

> What exactly does the 'interactive' array tool do, and how does it work with Bullet?

TheDeacon
04-22-2010, 10:18 AM
why isn´t the newsletter for april announcement posted in the newtek 3d announcements?

Michael

done! thanks for pointing that out.

Chuck
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
done! thanks for pointing that out.

Done about one minute after I had copied, retitled and edited the lead post of this thread to do the job! :)

I removed my copy in favor of yours, but getting there at the same time was just too funny! :beerchug:

TheDeacon
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Done about one minute after I had copied, retitled and edited the lead post of this thread to do the job! :)

I removed my copy in favor of yours, but getting there at the same time was just too funny! :beerchug:

:agree: too funny!

Titus
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
So we have occlusion, bloom and shaders in realtime?

stevecullum
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Does Bullet work with separate objects only, or does it work with 'parts' as well (like HardFX). In case of a scene with hundreds or thousands of objects it's not very nice if we end up with separate objects and an equal amount of MDD files.

Good question! Also, there is no answers yet about how we can multi-edit all the object settings once they are defined as bullet objects. Hope NT can let us know soon...

Kuzey
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, that's a realtime shader. Not VPR which is preview/progressive rendering.

How does it handle when rotating the scene/object and is the effect close to the final render??

Looking nice by the way :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/profiles/imagesimage/newsletter/04_2010/jroth/bullet.jpg

Also...it would be nice if you can have visible id numbers for clones...just so you can see which box is which....instead of having box1...box..box...box etc.

It's a small thing....but would be so nice.

Kuzey

Scazzino
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Nice CORe news.
Congrats to Gennady Guryanov and to Michael Scaramozzino...

Thanks! The book was a lot of work, hopefully it will prove helpful to fellow short filmmakers! :thumbsup:

BTW: Thanks for the mention in the Newsletter guys!
The book's just moved up on Amazon to #1 in CGI, #6 in 3D Graphics and #9 in Animation... :thumbsup:

Ĺgrén
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Woah, yeah !

If it's like Nvidia's SSAO, it looks like this:

http://3d-output.com/spAce/images/various/nvidia_ssao.jpg

This can be really helpful if the wireframe behaves symbiotically. Like if the cursor is not on the model or alt key is down, wireframe gets invisible. Wireframe transparency is good - wireframe also needs a color that stays visible on ***** black nooks and chalk white walls. It's really hard to compose and design with diffuse lighting only as it is so damn hard to estimate how things will look like in the end with the realism factor of AO and shadows. If this works nicely, it's time for hardcore smile.

hrgiger
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
BTW: Thanks for the mention in the Newsletter guys!

Yes, thanks to BeeVee and Newtek for the opportunity this month.

Kuzey
04-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks Oliver,

So it's only really useful....if you can save out realtime animations from the viewport...or...if Core is getting a game engine down the road....Mmmmmm :D

I just presumed since there weren't any id's on the boxes that it's not possible yet. It would be cool to have a demo of the Bullet engine with all the clone id's running about.

Kuzey

Ĺgrén
04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
BTW, all CORE screenies shown have this super fat top bar that says LightWave CORE Qx ... . It's like 35 pixels high - could be just 7 or something like this: http://digitalthink.fr/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ZBrush31_interface.jpg You really wanto give so much space for nothing ?

Is it possible to toggle a viewport to fullscreen mode ?

Ĺgrén
04-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks Oliver,

So it's only really useful....if you can save out realtime animations from the viewport...or...if Core is getting a game engine down the road....Mmmmmm :D

Also belongs to the category of "estimate quality of work", or "get to feel the work". Getting to feel what you are doing is very important, isn't it ? You could even feel cosy inside your architectural design - this non-semantical benefit is exactly what is lacking in our primitive and alienated virtual artist fumbles. Some use AO in modeling as it kills the flatness problem of traditional diffuse+wf. We understand form and also design in terms of light and shadow, so... The effect is subtle/realistic enough for modeling/designing in 3DSM.

littlewaves
04-23-2010, 06:16 AM
why no video for bullet dynamics? c'mon newtek.

Kuzey
04-23-2010, 06:35 AM

Jay did say there might be no videos in this newsletter...a turntable animation of SSAO in action would have been nice too.

Maybe next month???

Kuzey

Samus
04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Proton Where are you!!!! Gosh how hard is it to put 30 seconds of video??
Do we have to begg ??? if Newtek never listens how could a Hard-core membership be of any use.??

did i mention nice pics BTW.

serge
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Considering Bullet dynamics:

> Does Bullet work with separate objects only, or does it work with 'parts' as well (like HardFX). In case of a scene with hundreds or thousands of objects it's not very nice if we end up with separate objects and an equal amount of MDD files.

> What exactly does the 'interactive' array tool do, and how does it work with Bullet?
No answer? I guess we'll have to assume then that there's no 'parts' option. And the 'interactive array tool' isn't spectacular enough to explain what it does.

hrgiger
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
No answer? I guess we'll have to assume then that there's no 'parts' option. And the 'interactive array tool' isn't spectacular enough to explain what it does.

It's probably a little too early to get into how Bullet works with items. I'm sure there will be more info on that later.

The array tool lets you create either meshes or instances. If you use current LW array tool, you know that you have to enter in your numbers, positions, etc.. and then hit enter to apply. In CORE, it's interactive. If you've ever used Modo's array tool, it works similar (though in Modo, creating meshes and instances is a seperate tool. In CORE it's one)

serge
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
It's probably a little too early to get into how Bullet works with items. I'm sure there will be more info on that later.
I understand. I'm curious because, as far as I know, Bullet for Blender doesn't seem to have a 'parts' option. So this could be a selling point for CORE. (Blender has the option to export MDD's, so I'd really like to know what advantages CORE dynamics would have over Blender.)

The array tool lets you create either meshes or instances. If you use current LW array tool, you know that you have to enter in your numbers, positions, etc.. and then hit enter to apply. In CORE, it's interactive. If you've ever used Modo's array tool, it works similar (though in Modo, creating meshes and instances is a seperate tool. In CORE it's one)
Thanks. I'm wondering though what they mean by the 'interactive array tool' working well with Bullet. What's the difference between using this tool and sending the result to Bullet, and using this tool 'together' with Bullet?

serge
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't understand that either. On the other hand, you might as well look on youtube for Blender or Cinema 4D rigid body dynamics, cause they use the same solver.

jayroth
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm wondering though what they mean by the 'interactive array tool' working well with Bullet. What's the difference of using this tool and sending the result to Bullet, and using this tool 'together' with Bullet?

No difference at all; interactive array helps you to create "Bullet fodder," nothing more... The array tool is completely separate from Bullet; it's just a tool to use as you would any other.

serge
04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
No difference at all; interactive array helps you to create "Bullet fodder," nothing more... The array tool is completely separate from Bullet; it's just a tool to use as you would any other.
I see. Thanks for clarifying, Jay.

*Pete*
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice! Look at that, a bloom effect without having to use an image filter thingy. :D

wow....archviz modeling and lighting with ambient occlusion and bloom on.

can it possibly get much cooler than that?

*Pete*
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
wireframe also needs a color that stays visible on ***** black nooks and chalk white walls.

heheh....i think the censored word should have been written as Pitch, not as Bi*tch :D

Cageman
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Yes. It is OGL/CG Shaders.. true realtime stuff.

:)

speismonqui
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
awesome! TNX for the reply
So maybe in next newsletter: CORE videos!!!! really looking forward to some Bullet performance.

Sonk
04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
wow....archviz modeling and lighting with ambient occlusion and bloom on.

can it possibly get much cooler than that?

Yes it can, it slightly more taxing on the GPU but worth it IMO.

http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/SSDO/

If you want to one up the competition add it :neener: