PDA

View Full Version : 3D animation viewing

04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Anyone found out a way to turn LW stereo L & R image sequences into an avi of some species capable of being viewed with Nvidia's lovely shutter specs ?

-'StereoMovieMaker' freebie download can make them into anaglypgh (urgh) and can play 'pageflip' avi's but not make them,

Surely there is a way? (other than laboriously creating an avi file at 120fps showing alternate images - yeah, bet that will work!)
I had high hopes of SpeedEdit2 (sniff!)

wayne1 huffman
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Not sure about the requirements for nvidia 3D but you may be able to make a mask of single pixel high black and white lines, alternating, at the resolution of your files, then use it as a "mask" to create interlaced files for stereo viewing.

04-23-2010, 05:12 AM
That was the sort of solution I tried 10 years.
I'm working on a the design for a big show, which will be performed live and filmed in 3D and released in cinemas & on blueray in about a year - and watched by people on their new 3D complkient monitors with their brand new GEFORCE3DVISION specs.
I normally produce HD animations of our designs for the client, in this case I need to produce them in viewable stereo so that we can adjust/plan effects/action/ camera for the real thing.

rapscallion
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
hello!

making 3D viewable movies for the Nvidia 3DVision glasses (or RealD or whichever brand you have) is very easy at this point...

first of all, I'm assuming you have the glasses and have downloaded/installed either 3DVision Player (included with the 3DVision drivers) or Stereoscopic Player (a free download located here: http://3dtv.at/Downloads/StereoscopicPlayer155_en.msi )...with that assumption, here are some options:

1. Render left and right pairs separately, but make sure that you have "_L" and "_R" at the end of the files names for each side respectively; then use OPEN LEFT AND RIGHT FILE inside your stereo viewer application - as soon as you load the left, it will automatically search out the right...

now, from the wording of your post, it sounds like you really want a single avi or mov file, as opposed to pairs, so...

2. Take your left and right video files and import them to your compositing or editorial program...create a composition that is 1x as wide as your image, and 2x as tall - then stack the left and right pairs on top of each other in the composite, with the left on top and right on bottom...when you do this, you can also squeeze the entire composition back down to your standard frame size so that the left and right pairs are actually shown 1x wide by .5 tall in the comp - but when you load up the file in your player, you'll be able to adjust the aspect ratio to correct it

3. Take your left and right video files and import them to your compositing or editorial program...create a composition that is 2x as wide as your image, and 1x as tall - then set the left and right pairs side by side with each other in the composite, with the left on left and right on right...when you do this, you can also squeeze the entire composition back down to your standard frame size so that the left and right pairs are actually shown .5x wide by 1 tall in the comp - but when you load up the file in your player, you'll be able to adjust the aspect ratio to correct it

So if you do step 2 or 3, when you open your stereo player, just drop the file into the window and you'll instantly get a pop-up interface asking you to describe the format; go ahead and choose side-by-side or over-under from the list...then it will load and interpret properly for playback without any extra effort

Additionally, there is a StereoCam plug-in for Lightwave that will allow you to directly render side-by-side stereo images to help you avoid the extra step of compositing the layers together:

http://colm.jp/plug/stereo.html

Personally, I don't use that plug, because I have compositing work that I need to do on the left and right sides individually, which would be very difficult if they were already married together in the initial render...

So that's about it...I've been using Lightwave to render stereo for several months now, and playing it back in Stereoscopic Player and 3DVision Player without any hassles using all three of the approaches mentioned above...

Good luck...and have fun!

arsad
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
very nice and complete description rapscallion. ;-)
I was about to answer this when I read your reply.

One thing though, in fusion 6 you can split the side by side
sequence you rendered with StereoCam and the comp the
images individually. And after that reunite them if you wish.

The advantage of the plugin is that you render only once,
(no more double overhead for "moving objects" and other stuff
our beloved LW likes to do before it renders each frame)
and you save some valuable time.

I was researching the workflow as we have 2 stereoscopic
projects right now.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

rapscallion
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
arsad: I just started using Fusion about two weeks ago and I'm totally in love...haven't messed with the stereo functions, yet, though - but I will...and I hadn't considered the whole 'moving objects' thing, but that makes ALOT of sense...will definitely give it a try...thanks!

rapscallion
05-14-2010, 01:40 AM
shortly after writing up the more lengthy of my posts on this thread, I decided to take another look at that StereoCam0.1.5 plug-in...

it actually turns out to be insanely useful, cutting render prep time substantially, reducing render times by approximately 40% (wow), and making my compositing workflow and file management much more streamlined...until Newtek comes up with their own improved tools, this is a real time-saver...

05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Nothing was NVIDIA 3D compatible on my workstation so:
Purchases:
NVIDIA GTS250 iGb graphics card 88.99
NVIDIA 3D Vision kit (specs & ir transmitter) 199.99
Acer 23" GD245 HQ monitor 297.79

Call it 600 including delivery.

:devil:1st mistake - tried to replace existing 2nd video card (run to a 40" DVI/HTMI TV directly with the new card. lots of frustration.
:devil:1) a download was needed of an upgrade to the NVIDIA software with the glasses becausethe ACER monitor wasn't on the built in list - if the software don't see a monitor it recognises it don't even try.
:devil:2) the software seems to need the 3D monitor/card combo to be the primary monitor.
:devil:3) but that may be because the downloaded software was faulty and would not allow the workstation to set the monitor as primary.

Anyway, :help:phoned NVIDAI on the helpline (even though it said US & Canada only) and started a case, and corresponded for a couple of days.

Started again.

Removed all old cards & installed new (3D compatible card) in the slot numbered 1!
- removed all old video drivers. installed the ones from the NVIDIA download package.
Installed the 3D software likewise.
3D image viewer appeared and worked.
Went back to NVIDIA site and downloaded Video player & installed it, that worked too.
Re-installed my old 2-monitor card & plugged it's monitors in, rebooted for the 93rd time,8/ opened device driver to see why other 2 monitors were lifeless, & they leapt into life & grabbed 'primary monitor' again, couldn't assign 3D monitor as primary in NVIDIA control panel, could over-ride in win7's own multi-monitor setup, re-ran NVIDIA 3D software install, image viewer worked fie, got a bit stuck with movie viewer until I found the new button letting you assign monitor for full screen (3D movies are only shown in full screen, and if wrong monitor selected it shows as side-by-side)

I rendered a test scene in stereo 1280x720 - (with 200mm eye separation!) and set up a 1280x1440 project in speededit, put the left image sequence in & slid it to the top half, put the right sequence in under it & slid it to the bottom & ticked 'overlay' - rendered to 'SpeedHQ' avi - project size.

Opened the NVIDIA stereo movie viewer, opened the avi, selected 'left over right' & played fullscreen.

EURIKA!