PDA

View Full Version : Why is LightWave, so cheep?

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 03:18 AM
hello all
i was just wondering, Why is LightWave 3D so cheep compared to other 3D programs, like 3DS max, or Maya.
is it because its not as good or something.
i cant see anything wrong with it, so...
dos any one no y its so cheep?

thank you

-Oliver

cresshead
04-20-2010, 03:21 AM
mainly because Newtek as a company wanted to bring 3d and video editing (tricaster,video toaster) to the masses so they positioned their pricing so that people could afford to buy it with relative ease.

alias pitched maya pricewise at film studios and 3dmax was pitched for games studios

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 03:29 AM
aaa ok thank you
so each 3D program has its own main area?
LightWave is still a good 3D program tho isn't it?
i think so. just a friend of mine says its not a good program.
but iv been using it for 3 yeas now and i think its good. :)

thank you

-oliver

biliousfrog
04-20-2010, 03:33 AM
The companies involved with Maya/Max development are also from CAD/Engineering backgrounds which have always been used to much higher costs for software. I remember the days when Softimage required SGI workstations and would cost more than the average family home...prices have dropped considerably but there is still the mentality that better things cost more.

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 03:39 AM
ok cool
thank you for the info :)

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 03:55 AM
hey il ask this question here
just so that i don't hafto open another thread
is it any good using LW on a lap top?
or sud i stick to PCs

biliousfrog
04-20-2010, 04:29 AM
It depends on the laptop ;)

Modelling and animation is ok in general, although you'll be restricted by the capabilities of the graphics card, rendering is possible but isn't advisable because laptop's don't have very good cooling and rendering pushes the processor to the limit.

OnlineRender
04-20-2010, 04:30 AM
It depends on the laptop ;)

Modelling and animation is ok in general, although you'll be restricted by the capabilities of the graphics card, rendering is possible but isn't advisable because laptop's don't have very good cooling and rendering pushes the processor to the limit.

excellent advice ! agree , you can handle modelling on a laptop but render just kills it ! " exhibit A "

cresshead
04-20-2010, 04:43 AM
rendering on a laptop isn't ideal but i do it all the time just to boost up my render capabilities...desktop quadcore computer plus 2 laptops gets the job done faster:thumbsup:

i even tried out my atom powered netbook...though that WAS really slooooooooow.

sampei
04-20-2010, 04:53 AM
well it really depends on the laptop, they're getting more and more powerfull. I think you can now get the i7 extreme which is fastest than a lot of desktops. You can also get mobile versions of GTX and Quadro and ridicuolous amounts of RAM. I think the dell Precision has an option for 24 gigs (or 16) I can't remember.
The mobile workstations from lenovo and dell are excellent, reliable solutions. They're expensive though.
I use a thinkpad w700 with a quad core extreme and I can't remember the last time I turned it off. The only performance problems I had are because of modeler. It has rendered huge scenes for days and days and never had a problem, it has 4 vents, the fans go on every 2-3 minutes for about 10 seconds and you can barely hear them.
You could also get an alienware which should be cheaper.
But if you can, go for a desktop, just because its much cheaper and you can upgrade :)

colkai
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
I use Lw on a 1.5Ghz laptop with 1GB of memory, fast, no, useable, most assuredly.

Lightwave 9.6 and below don't really need major hardware to run, I've even run it on a 1Ghz Celeron. Naturally, the faster you can get the better, but even so, you can do enough work on a low-end laptop to get stuff done. The trick is to break it into smaller pieces so you are not overloading the poor thing.

Stuff like using bounding boxes in layout and layers in modeller, just don't be expecting to model something with 1 million polys. ;)

Of course, I wouldn't want to render a 10 minute animation off my laptop. :D

If you're thinking of buying into Core though, I would suggest getting a beefy machine as it likely will not be as "forgiving" about low spec hardware as prior versions of LW.

As others have said though, the big thing with laptops is the graphics, the onboards are rarely anything other than basic / adequate.

Unless you really want to work on the go, as Sampei says, a desktop would be better.

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
a ok cool
thanx for the info
every one
o and i dont realy understand what CORE is :S

and dos any one no if its posible to create screen savers in lightwave?
i duno if its possible lol

thank you

-oliver

Skinner3D
04-20-2010, 09:45 AM
CORE is the complete restructuring of the Lightwave system that is supposed to be coming out, or has come out, or something like that. I haven't followed it in awhile :eek::o:D

I have wondered the screensaver question myself. Lightwave itself doesn't let you make screensavers, but if you found a program that made them, Lightwave can probably let you export out to whatever format that program needs.

oliversimonnet
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
aaa ok thank you
well il be on the look out then lol

thak you

-oliver