PDA

View Full Version : RE: Lightwave Core

simonlion
04-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Hello Every one.

Last time I started this Thread it ended very Ugly, and few people got Banned, Please dont let this happen again, I just have a simple question.

With all the respect to Newtek, and my favorite program Lightwave.. I heard once you purchase the LW Core, you have to pay $495.00 a year.
Is this true ?

Now, what happends if you dont pay $495.00 a year, can I still use the core ?

Well, in my openion you have to follow the Technology, so I guess we cant use LW 9.6 Any-More, because no Tutorial will work with that any more.

Thanks
Simon

colkai
04-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Newtek always have held a policy of once bought, you can use it as long as you like.
I'd be stunned if they ever shifted from this position.

The "subscription" basically, as i understand it, means you are buying in to the dev cycle for that release. However, it doesn't mean that you need to pay again to continue using LW.
So you can pay $495 and get Core 1.0 but do not have to get Core 2.0 if you do not want to.

Likewise, you do not have to buy Core if LW9.6 fits your bill at present.

As for not using Lw9.6 - it may be "dead" development wise as Core is where the future is for Newtek, but it is far from dead as a product.

LW 9.6 is still very much a good tool and just because future tutorials may be for Core, doesn't make any of the myriad of tutorials for LW9.X out there redundant.

There is plenty to learn, so don't feel forced into using Core simply because it will be the new thing. Another thing to consider, until Core 1.0 is actually released, tutorials for it are hardly going to be prolific so again, LW9.6 will have the larger training material base.

You only have to look at ones such as the 'Serenity' tutorial over at Foundation3D, that'll keep you well busy I can tell you! ;)
It'll also do wonders for your modelling skills, which is far from a bad thing. :)

hrgiger
04-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Hello Every one.

Last time I started this Thread it ended very Ugly, and few people got Banned, Please dont let this happen again, I just have a simple question.

With all the respect to Newtek, and my favorite program Lightwave.. I heard once you purchase the LW Core, you have to pay $495.00 a year.
Is this true ?

Now, what happends if you dont pay $495.00 a year, can I still use the core ?

Well, in my openion you have to follow the Technology, so I guess we cant use LW 9.6 Any-More, because no Tutorial will work with that any more.

Thanks
Simon

Just to be clear Simon, the $495 is the subscription price for Lightwave 9 owners. With it, comes that current CORE periods end version. So if you bought the subscription now, you would own CORE 1.0 when it was released.

It is not a subscription in the way that you have to pay to keep your software working. Once you buy a CORE version, it's not going to expire. You don't have to pay to keep your software working.

You only pay again when you want to upgrade to the next version, in this case, version 2 of CORE. While the subscription thing is new for Lightwave owners, it doesn't really work much differently then the way things have worked up to this point. You only pay when you want to upgrade. You are also not penalized by waiting so you can skip a few upgrades and still buy in at whatever the current upgrade price is. This isn't Adobe or Autodesk. Newtek has always offered a good value.

You will be able to keep using 9.6 for the forseeable future. But I think after CORE 1.0 is released, you're going to start seeing less and less support for older versions of Lightwave, especially from third parties. That's just my estimate, but I think it's probably true. For instance, Viktor who makes LWCAD, a major plug-in for Lightwave has stated that the next version of LWCAD, version 4, will be CORE only.

sampei
04-20-2010, 05:25 AM
ah there's so much training material for LightWave that it would take years to through all of it...no lists please !
also why can't we use LightWave 9.6 anymore ? there's still people using version 7 or 8 and doing mind blowing stuff, so I say keep using LW 9.6 and if you want CORE get it. I personally think that for my personal work I will keep using LightWave for many, many, many years to come. :)

simonlion
04-21-2010, 12:27 AM
ah there's so much training material for LightWave that it would take years to through all of it...no lists please !
also why can't we use LightWave 9.6 anymore ? there's still people using version 7 or 8 and doing mind blowing stuff, so I say keep using LW 9.6 and if you want CORE get it. I personally think that for my personal work I will keep using LightWave for many, many, many years to come. :)

I agree with you. I have seen Animiations, and Models, which did blowed my mind, and it was done on LW 7.
simon

MacDoggie
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM

A valid statement for sure. We still rely on LW for animation and for most of the 3D work with Modo to fill out the areas that we feel that LW is deficient in. Maya is also being used to some degree and starting to gain ground... Lightwave core looks like it is going to be really nice (we'll see) but the viability of LW Classic (god this is confusing!) is going to be around for sometime till Lightwave core gets fully underway. So I wouldn't rule out altogether the capability to carry Lightwave core till development reaches a viable point.

Kudos to the current crewe of coders especially the guys in the trenches. Lw 9X series is easily the most robust LW I have ever seen.That being said I am fairly confident (if the right decisions are made) that Lightwave core will be a force to be reckoned with... Till then the 9x series (supplemented with your app of choice ) is still VERY capable... Don't rule out the Wave....:hey::hey:

Cheers

Nangleator
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
I will keep using LightWave for many, many, many years to come.
I still play Doom from time to time. The app still does what it was designed to do. (Except for surprising me; I know where all the monsters are.)

Silkrooster
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I still play Doom from time to time. The app still does what it was designed to do. (Except for surprising me; I know where all the monsters are.)

I hear that...:thumbsup:

OnlineRender
04-23-2010, 02:25 AM

There is a patch to correct that :D , likewise with LW , there will always be a patch / plugg'in :D

Shnoze Shmon
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Newtek always have held a policy of once bought, you can use it as long as you like.
I'd be stunned if they ever shifted from this position.

The best sells pitch for NewTek ever IMO.:newtek:

colkai
04-23-2010, 09:28 AM
To be honest, this is why I think the "subscription" concept has caused so much confusion.
Easier to say its the upgrade price as has been the case previously.
Pre-ordering gets you into the 'Dev' cycle for that release, otherwise, you pay what you pay when it's released.

To me, that structure has never given me any cause for confusion, as soon as folks hear the word subscription though, it makes one think of paying to continue use as in buying magazines etc.

Chuck
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
To be honest, this is why I think the "subscription" concept has caused so much confusion.
Easier to say its the upgrade price as has been the case previously.
Pre-ordering gets you into the 'Dev' cycle for that release, otherwise, you pay what you pay when it's released.

To me, that structure has never given me any cause for confusion, as soon as folks hear the word subscription though, it makes one think of paying to continue use as in buying magazines etc.

Marketing very carefully has actually adhered to the term "membership" rather than "subscription" in all marketing collateral, but clearly it still ends up putting folks in mind of "subscription." They've also worked at indicating it is really just another approach to purchasing an upgrade, and that the traditional approach is going to stay available for those who prefer. All in all, though, clearly some thought needs to go into future communications and how to make a clearer differentiation, if not into the whole concept.

And to confirm, yes, a LightWave license can be used for any length of time, regardless of whether the user joins HardCORE or not or ever upgrades in any fashion. That's not changed and not going to change.

Chuck
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Lightwave core looks like it is going to be really nice (we'll see) but the viability of LW Classic (god this is confusing!) is going to be around for sometime till Lightwave core gets fully underway. So I wouldn't rule out altogether the capability to carry Lightwave core till development reaches a viable point.

Kudos to the current crewe of coders especially the guys in the trenches. Lw 9X series is easily the most robust LW I have ever seen.That being said I am fairly confident (if the right decisions are made) that Lightwave core will be a force to be reckoned with... Till then the 9x series (supplemented with your app of choice ) is still VERY capable... Don't rule out the Wave....:hey::hey:

Cheers

Yep, it is confusing when you feel compelled to separate out the elements of the next update to talk about them. So I don't, I and the engineers are just working on LightWave 3D, next edition. LightWave has always had a lot of modules, with several visible from the user point of view in daily use, and more visible if you go look in the folders, which tends to reflect more of the engineering experience of working on the product, which actually has even more breakdown than the compiled files would indicate. Now there will be one more available from an application standpoint. And Layout and Modeler are both getting significant development for that update, with Layout getting a good array of features, Modeler a modest set, and both undergoing the Cocoa transformation and getting extensive stability work.

MacDoggie
04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Yep, it is confusing when you feel compelled to separate out the elements of the next update to talk about them. So I don't, I and the engineers are just working on LightWave 3D, next edition. LightWave has always had a lot of modules, with several visible from the user point of view in daily use, and more visible if you go look in the folders, which tends to reflect more of the engineering experience of working on the product, which actually has even more breakdown than the compiled files would indicate. Now there will be one more available from an application standpoint. And Layout and Modeler are both getting significant development for that update, with Layout getting a good array of features, Modeler a modest set, and both undergoing the Cocoa transformation and getting extensive stability work.

Which is as it should be. Fight the good fight Chuck! :thumbsup:

colkai
04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
And to confirm, yes, a LightWave license can be used for any length of time, regardless of whether the user joins HardCORE or not or ever upgrades in any fashion. That's not changed and not going to change.

'Nuff said and as expected, not only that, Lightwave doesn't try to "upgrade" your current version, which means many of us have more than one version on their system.
(Of course, some go wild with that, Mr Jerrard, I'm lookin' at you! ;) :D )

colkai
04-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Yep, Can sell LW, can have multiple versions installed and used them, few packages give you that flexibility, one reason LW will be on my PC for years to come. Though I have lost the ability to run LW5.6 since I moved to a USB dongle, my 5.6 key just won't work anymore, which is a shame as I have quite a few scenes which use Steamer et al.

Unless of course, anyone knows of a way to get around this problem? :)

MacDoggie
04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Yep, Can sell LW, can have multiple versions installed and used them, few packages give you that flexibility, one reason LW will be on my PC for years to come. Though I have lost the ability to run LW5.6 since I moved to a USB dongle, my 5.6 key just won't work anymore, which is a shame as I have quite a few scenes which use Steamer et al.

Unless of course, anyone knows of a way to get around this problem? :)

Yeah Modo does this as well However, Luxology ups one on LW in this regard. You can run both flavors of Modo on either platform on one license. So at the moment I am modeling and working in 32 bit Modo and rendering in 64 bit modo on my wintel box .... sweet And of course you can run multiple builds of Modo as well. In my dealings with LW I have found that I almost HAD to run multiple builds of LW just get things done. But, it worked... :thumbsup:

Cheers

MacDoggie
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
But doesn't it cost $100 to transfer a modo license? Or have they smartly eliminated that?

True, but I am not selling my license and don't plan to in the foreseeable future. Even with the advent of Lightwave core. Most people selling their licenses are the folks who thought that Modo would be a totally proficient app in all respects as well as those are in stressful financial times. Oh and the Lw users who are animating in LW and modelling and partial rendering in Modo. The two complement each other very well. One definitely makes up for the deficiencies of the other. As far as I can tell, a great symbiotic exercise. So I don't see the sale of either coming up anytime soon.:thumbsup: The odd thing is people are paying the 100.00 go figure....

It is funny because most of the animosity towards LW users on the forum (Modo/luxology) are not Modo users but Maya and Max users who have this somewhat apparent disdain for LW and seemingly take great relish in pointing out the deficiencies of LW. :hey:

MacDoggie
04-29-2010, 06:06 PM
But it's something that others take into account before buying the software. Fusion had a $995 transfer fee for quite some time and that stopped a few buyers from getting the software. I think now it's down to $195.

Ouch! 100.00 is not looking too bad!...

Not at all. It's usually cheaper to buy used software than a new license.

Well there you have it! Personally I feel 100 is a bit steep 50.00 fine. 100.00....Hmmmm

And I wonder what they will do a few years from now if/when CORE is more on equal terms? (At least hopefully it will be MUCH closer. :))

That's the plan mate!:thumbsup::thumbsup: