PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to fix or just avoid bad corner geometry?

RenderBlur
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi,

This is either an LWCAD question or a general LW polygon cleanup question or both.

I used LWCAD curves to create the following closed shape, then used Profiler to extrude polygons along it, sort of like Rail Clone would do, and it creates the connection areas where the straight lines and the arc meet in a way that makes it folded over itself, I'm just going to call it a bad corner.

Is there anyway to avoid these or is this just inevitable? When modeling by rail cloning along curves like this, what's the recommended method of avoiding these areas? I realize I could zoom in and click and weld points but if I want to regularly model like this do I always have to visit each corner and manually clean them up?

I look forward to learning how others would handle these situations. Thanks!

-James

fgreen
04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I think that maybe this is inevitable with rail cloning, beveling and etc, where the radius of the curves or shapes is smaller than the source geometry size or angles.

However it is easy and fast to manually fix these overlaps by moving or welding the points.

Here is a tut on LW's website. This is a tut on the bevel tool, but the solution to the bad corners is the same, and demonstrated in this video after beveling some text.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Bevel.mov

If you can't get it to load from here, it is on the 24 hours of training page and is called "introduction to the bevel tool.

RenderBlur
04-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Thanks fgreen for the quick reply and the link to the Bevel tutorial. I started experimenting with rail cloning many different curves and shapes and you are right, any shape that includes a tight enough corner results in overlaps. The Bevel tutorial gives a good overview on how to fix those.

Thanks again for the help!