PDA

View Full Version : Help with error message?

cricket60146
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I am trying to learn LightWave using Jonny Gorden's Cartoon Character Creation , Volume 1. All had been going well recreating the head of his Hamish character but suddenly I'm having trouble using the 'CUT' tool. I get the message, "Trying to access indexed set out of bounds" and the polygons divide up erratically. No parameters show up in the NUMERIC panel. As far as I can tell the polygons I'm trying to cut are all quads. Can anybody tell me what's going on and give a suggestion as to what to do about it? I'm totally perplexed.

Sue

Dexter2999
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Could you post your model?

cricket60146
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I've attached the .lwo file I've been working on and a .jpg showing the polygons selected to be CUT. The objective is to create more detail in the area and then use some of that detail to build ears on the character. I had occasion to use the CUT tool several times earlier in the tutorial and everything worked as expected - don't know where I went astray.

4dartist
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
You may be having trouble because of the 2pt and 1pt polygons in the layer. Open the scene statistics panel, select the 2pt and 1pt polygons and either delete them or copy/paste them to a new layer.

At first I didn't know what you meant by the CUT tool, but now I see it under the multiply tab, I've never used it. But I'm guessing those 2pt polygons are the problem.

I attached an image of the 2pt polygons selected.

EDIT.. I see you are using 8 and the 2pt polygons aren't visible in the viewports, selecting them via the statistics panel should work.

4dartist
04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I went ahead and deleted those 2 point and 1 point polygons, and saved it as a lightwave version 5 model file. I am using 9.6 so if I save it, you probably won't be able to open the file, so I had to export it.

It'll probably lose any surfacing or UV work you have done.. if you did that stuff already.

See attached

Dexter2999
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Ah well...someone beat me to helping...hate it when work gets in the way....stupid work.

cricket60146
04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Thank you for taking a look and helping. I'm having trouble opening the corrected file but would like to replicate what you did. I had suspected that 1-point or 2-point polys might be the problem but I'm having trouble using the Polygon Statistics Panel. In the list of items '1 vertex' is '0' and grayed out, so I didn't think there were any 1-point polys. '2 Vertices' is '56'. I think most of them are along the open edge of the neck. When I try to delete them I lose the neck. The reference books I have and the online Help section mainly refer to the Polygon Statistics Panel for creating and selecting Parts and don't go into what to do with one and two point polys. I've never encountered them before in any other program. Is the whole outline surrounding the image you posted composed of 2-point polys? I had attempted to eliminate that possibility by merging points along the center line. How did you identify them? How do you delete them without deleting the three and four point polys adjacent to them? I hate to be a pain in the neck asking newbie questions but I appreciate your help. If you can recommend a good reference book I'll check it out.

Sue

4dartist
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Heya Cricket. Since you are using lw 8, the steps I use may differ from what you could do so bear that in mind. There are a couple ways to select those polygons and eliminate them.

1st way: Open the statistics panel. Go into polygon mode. (not points or edges) Click the + next to 1 Vertex and 2 Vertices. Hit delete. (this will not effect any of the good polygons)

note: When I open the model you uploaded I see two 1point polygons. Not sure why you don't. Also, using '1st way' I don't see any damage to the neck area, or any change to the base model at all. (see attached statistics.png)

2nd way: Enter Polygon mode (not points or edges) Go to the top view, lasso around the middle row. (see attached image lasso.jpg) It should select those 2 point polygons, then hit delete. Also did no damage to your base model for me.

note: if either method gives you a change to the base model it's not so bad, now that you are 2point polygon free you can just repair any cracks or missing polygons.

two point polygons and one point polygons are actually very useful. They have a reason for existing, but yes, can be a pain. Other programs may not allow the formation of 2pt and 1pt polygons, but lightwave does, and it's not really a bad thing. You will get good at spotting when they are effecting your model.

edit: I attached the model as an OBJ. I actually couldn't even open the file I uploaded earlier... *sigh*
Oh, and yes the entire outline is 2 point polygons on my previously posted image. If you really get nasty results in the neck area can you post a picture? I don't see how that could happen.

cricket60146
04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I was able to duplicate the 'outline' by hitting the TAB key once, selected all of the segments, and deleted them and am now rid of the 2-point polys. Thanks for showing me what to look for and how to use the Statistics Panel! The CUT tool seems to be working now in that its dialog box opens and I can set parameters. Somehow my model has become asymmetrical and that's causing problems but I can deal with it. LightWave is certainly unique. I'm looking forward to understanding it better.Sue

4dartist
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Haha, well glad it's working better.

There are certain tells, that will give away if you have geometry issues in your model. The easiest I always notice is an error in the box on the bottom every time you try to subdivide your model. If you have 1pt 2pt or 5+pt polygons in your model, you should see an error show up at the bottom when you hit TAB. So if you see that (unless you meant to have them) you know you have an issue and should resolve it.

Also, you can tell when working if you have formed a 2pt polygons by looking at the flow of geometry. It'll catch your eye quickly as you use the program more. Basically you'll see weirdness or creases where it should be otherwise round. See attached image.

Cool, good luck, I like your character head so far. :)