PDA

View Full Version : BEST ALTERNATIVE to SCREAMERNET????

SNOOPY33
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Hello, I could render some scenes with screamernet but complicated scenes don't work.
It loads all the objects, then
"
Loading plug-in
Plug-in class "LightHandler" name "SpotLight" slot 1
Plug-in loaded
"
then stops and I gent a windows error lwsn.exe has stopped working

What's the best alternative software that you know?
regardless of price.

Thanks a lot in advance.
:help:

Dexter2999
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Butterfly Net Render
and
MULE Enterprise 1.5

calilifestyle
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
What ever happen to tequila scream. wasn't that one of the best .

monovich
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
BNR works great. the higher up the feature ladder you go the better. He sorta did a custom license for me because I needed scene priority and the like, but I only needed 5 nodes. email him if you are into that.

I couldn't be happier with BNR. Its as close to zero config as it gets.

SNOOPY33
04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Cool, thanks to everybody, I will give it a try.

THANKS A LOT!!
:)

m0184you
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
@ monovich: Hi mate, did you use BNR only for LightWave or you use it with other supported application as well? If you do, what's your working experience/opinion?
Thanks in advance!

MentalFish
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Smedge, I haven't used it myself, but when I saw Kelly Meyers use it in a Kurv webinar it got me interested:

http://www.uberware.net/smedge/index.php

http://www.uberware.net/smedge/2_Minutes_to_Smedge.mov

It supports a whole shebang of apps, not just LW or 3D apps for that matter.

SNOOPY33
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok I've got BNR working
It works very well, there are a couple of things I wish it had like percentage of frame done.

In general we found that it was NOT using all the CPU's and the ones that were used were NOT at 100%.

After trying many things we realized that one of the config files was set up with Render Threads at 2.
After changing that number to 8 and saving the Config file,
now all the computers are running at 100% CPU.

Great!

Question:
Is it faster if I set up a computer to be like 2 nodes with 4 cpu's each?
or is the same thing if I set it up like 1 node with 8 CPU's.

Anybody has done any kind of testing?

monovich
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I onlny use it with LW.
I just set one process per computer and let LWSN handle the multithreading on its own. Making a unique LWSN per core would require more tedious setup and more memory because each core would have to load the scene independently.

If your scene were heavy in polys or maps, or sub-d's you'd also want to consider that each core would have to load all models, maps, and freeze the mesh. whatever possible and tiny render speed increase you might achieve with one LWSN per core would surely be wiped out by the above slowdowns, right?

either way, I don't have time to test. I just load and render.

GraphXs
04-19-2010, 05:47 PM
We use BNR, wish it had more fail safes for other 3D programs. In my test with Max/Maya it will seem to render Max/Maya stuff without textures, it should stop and error out! LW was easy to set-up and worked. I also wish it could work with LW renderQ, has anyone ever tried that. Or how about batch rendering? We do most of our work/rendering in Max/V-Ray and backburner it easy to use, I was hoping BNR was faster and easier, and yes it is for LW, just wish it offered more for the other packages.

Sensei
04-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Whatever you will buy and use 3rd party render controller, it will use ScreamerNet. They're just better front-ends to LWSN.EXE.
So, I would better search for real source of your problem, because there is chance it will happen with any render controller.

If I were you, I would open .lws generating above lines in text editor, find Spotlight commands and analyze what is bellow.
Maybe you have some 3rd party procedural texture, node, light or camera, etc. etc, dynamics not baked to file, something that doesn't work on renderfarm, something that tries to connect to Internet but firewall disallows it and it's blocked for 3 minutes until time-out etc. Or path set in plug-in user interface refer to local file, instead of available for all render nodes shared disk.

You can run LWSN.EXE in Command window opened after using CMD.EXE locally, to check out whether it'll stuck too.

SNOOPY33
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
We removed the lines that call for the proximity.p plugin to be loaded up and used the "scan intel plugins in BN and that fixed the lwsn.
In general I think is faster using BNR than rendering the scene separably in different computers.
It saves the files faster too.