PDA

View Full Version : Little morph problem

blindsided
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi all,
I think I am trying to do something simple, but for some reason i cant get it to work.

I start with a flat plane split into 1m polys.

I do a bevel on shift only and random it.

I then create a new morph.

In the new morph I take the highest points of the beveled polys and use point info to flatten them out in the y plane.

What i want to do is use the morph in layout so that the 'boxes' move into a flat plane, so that i can map a video on the top face of the polys, so it looks like one big image coming together.

But for some reason the base morph takes the shape of my MORPH 1 and I lose the random bevelled state.

What am I doing wrong?
I have attached a few pics as I am about as good at explaining as I am at morphing so hopefully it may make more sense.
Thanks all.

nickdigital
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Hm, not sure cuz I got it to work here.

Using 9.6.

You could also try copy/pasting your object into a new layer and then flattening the object. Then go back to your base object and use bg/morph to create your morph target.

But the process you described worked fine for me. Is there another step you're inserting into your process that might be the problem?

THREEL
04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi blindsided,

Is this the kind of thing you want to do? The 1st 2 sec. are a hold. The next 2 sec. bring the pieces together. The 3rd 2 sec. hold the pieces together. The 4th 2 sec. move the pieces back apart. The last 2 sec. are a hold again. The separated images are made by giving the object 100% morph applied & the together image is the object with 0 % morph applied. The object was made by modeling a box that is 16 polys wide by 8 polys deep and 3 polys tall. I selected all the top polys and changed the surface to image & applied the texture. Then, I beveled those polys with 0 shift & inset. Finally, I randomly picked top polys and moved them in the Y at different distances. All the side and bottom polys I gave the surface of base and gave that 100 % in the transparency channel. Then, I did a Bkg to morph to create a morph target between the 2. Hope this helps!

blindsided
04-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks Guys for looking at this.
Nick, For some reason it just will not work for me..although your model works fine and i can see the morph.
The problem seems to be with the point info step. If I move the points manually it works, but if i try to moce the pints by editing them collectivly in point info, the base mesh assumes the same shape as the morph!

The work around i have got is to use stretch to flatten out the points/polys, and also moving them manually as threel did.

thanks threel, thats exactly what i was looking for, I used your method of moving the polys manually and it worked.

Thanks for the help, I will try to update if i get it finished

THREEL
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
You're quite welcome blindside!

Honestly, you wouldn't even need the base polys. I think you could have, also, done this by making a flat 16 x 8 plane, or how many ever polys you'd want to make it. From there you could randomly pick like 10 to 20 boxes and copy them into other layers. Then you could move each set of polys up-or-down as you see fit. Then, you could copy all of those polys into another layer. Once, you have all the staggered height polys in another layer, you could copy that to another layer, use Set Value (V) to bring all the polys together somewhere in the Y. Then, you could use Bkg to morph on those two layers.

That might sound like a lot of work, but it's really not. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about what kind of surface the base would have to be, because there wouldn't be one.

Glad I could help!!

blindsided
04-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Here is a little test of what I am trying to do.
Eventually it will be a DVD menu, a couple of the boxes becoming the menu buttons.
Let me know what u think or any ideas for improving.

ty

THREEL
04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Here is a little test of what I am trying to do.
Eventually it will be a DVD menu, a couple of the boxes becoming the menu buttons.
Let me know what u think or any ideas for improving.

ty

That's looking pretty cool. Does it finish coming together the rest of the way? Are the outer blocks supposed to be inset? It looks like some of them are, but that could be an optical illusion. How would you tell which boxes will be the DVD menu buttons?

If I were doing this, I'd probably add some kind of frame around it, like something to make it like movie film, or an HDTV screen, or something technical looking, or something like that.

Looks like it's coming together.

blindsided
04-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks Threel,
Maybe add a bit of a HUD? Give it a bit of a sci fi feel??

I was thinking of cutting together a few of these bits with different footage from different angles as an intro.
And then the menu will be a static wide with a couple of boxes very tall, with "play" "scene Select 'extras' etc running vertically up the side of the box and the top being the button highlight.

Does that make sense?
I will try to mock something up.

The inset boxes were a test with the morph, i tried from +500 to -500 to try to get a fairly extreme effect.
Will try to update asap.

THREEL
04-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah, something like that. Just something to dress it up a bit. What sport are we talking here? I thought if it was something like soccer, I was wondering if you could do this with a sphere and turn it into a soccer ball, or something like that. I believe there's a tutorial somewhere about how to model a soccer ball. Maybe you could make a Death Star/Soccer ball effect, or something.

blindsided
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes its soccer and thats an amazing idea!!
It maybe a little too tricky for me, so I may come back with a thousand questions, but youve only yourself to blame!

THREEL
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes its soccer and thats an amazing idea!!
It maybe a little too tricky for me, so I may come back with a thousand questions, but youve only yourself to blame!

Oh boy! What have I started? I think once you get the soccer ball modeling figured out, we can go from there. Have to figure out how to map your video to the sphere to look good. Maybe put different videos on the different pentagon areas of the ball. Just thinkong out loud.