PDA

View Full Version : request for all rounders, present and future (LW, LWCAD, Core)

Myagi
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Don't know if it's just me, but there's one thing I'm missing in all rounders I've used so far, it's proper smoothing support. What I mean by that is the feature that the Box tool actually has for its built-in rounding, that it creates one extra rounding segment on the flat side to ensure that smoothed normals are absolutely flat on the base polys.

An image will hopefully explain it better.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84153&d=1271691646

Matt
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Rounder does have this option ...

But once you use it, it can make Rounder unstable and fail to do subsequent rounding operations.

Myagi
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
wow, that was the most obscure names ever for such a feature, no wonder I missed it :D

but aside from potential crashiness, I'm not too fond of the percentage thing, it would be nicer if it worked like Box, in that the segment width is somewhat equal to the other division. The rounder one seems to require adjusting the percentage for each radius to match segment width.

(Now if only Mass Round could have it too, unless I also missed that one)

Myagi
04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
well now I feel a tiny bit less stupid :D OGL Polys in rounder doesn't really work correctly, it doesn't add the points to adjacent polys.

For example make a cube and only round one side edge with OGL Polys enabled, the top/bottom polys will have all the points from the rounding but not from the extra segment thus no longer be an airtight mesh one would expect. So my original request for (working) extra segment for proper smoothing stands :)