PDA

View Full Version : Image Maps Failure "could not load clip. unsupported file type or file not found"

sampei
04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
this never happened to me before.
I had a perfectly working scene on my home computer.
I copied all the files (scene,object,textures) to a folder.
I opened up the scene on a new machine (only difference that its LW32 bit)
The scene gives me the error message and canno't load 2 specific JPEGS.
I've tried everything but it seems it is something do to with the model itself, I tried opening the model (see screen grab) and got the same error message.
I tried loading the images on another object and its fine so it must be the object. Has this happened to anybody ? I've often worked and rendered succesfully from different LightWaves in the past and I'm out of ideas, and time. :(

Dexter2999
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
::Doh::

actually read your post again and deleted what I had written before.

You said you applied the JPEGs to another model on the new machine? And they worked?
Um, is the file path the same on the new machine as the old one? Because it could be looking in the wrong place for the files.

sampei
04-20-2010, 04:27 AM
hey dex, yeah the path file is exactly the same. All the texture maps (which are a mixture of jpegs and tiffs) are in the same folder. I get the error message for two jpegs specifically. I also cannot load up the node editor as it kills the machines. I tried pretty much anything, it seems like somehow the lwo is in some way corrupted. I have no idea it's just a random guess. Really I think some 3d divinity up there does not like me one bit :bangwall:

Sensei
04-20-2010, 04:42 AM
I would move file to C:\
Then try loading such object.
It should show message that image file doesn't exist, and pick up alternative, from C:\

If it's readable on other computer, just save it in different file format.

sampei
04-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Sensei, the file is in all the folder I have copied on the desktop (and therefore on C:\). The message that I posted does not allow to select another texture. Of course I could save the file as another format but since I can't open the node editor it's all useless...

Sensei
04-20-2010, 05:54 AM
You said *copied*
But I told you to *move* it..
So it's just in one location on disk.. (it must not be found in original location!)
(I was thinking about shrinking path to see whether it could cause problem. C:\image.jpg will be very good test whether it could cause problem)

I meant opening in anything else than LightWave.. image file, not lwo. Just load it in Photoshop and save as PNG or so.
In cooperation with not possible to found image (moving, renaming or deleting), you should be able to open lwo in Layout again and set new image. At least as long as .lwo is not really corrupted.

sampei
04-20-2010, 05:58 AM
oh I get it, that's actually a really good idea I never thought of that ! lemme try :D

sampei
04-20-2010, 06:28 AM
uh before I meant I copied it from my usb memory stick to C:\...anyhow I've tried moving it in a different location, even in a different drive and still same message.

I've saved it as a png and same message.

Tried renaming the files, same message. I'm afraid I don't have any more time to waste on this :(

Sensei
04-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Send object and image here as attachment, so we will try to fix it.

sampei
04-20-2010, 06:53 AM
thanks for your kindness Sensei, really I'm speechless! but honestly I don't want to waste your time, I'm already rendering the scene on my own machine at home. In short I wanted to set up some computers in uni so I could work on another project at home...but Im doing the opposite, my machine at home is rendering and Im here...and I've already bought the train card for all week :D
I really appreciate though !

Dexter2999
04-21-2010, 06:53 AM
You have the files on the desktop. The point about "file not found" may be because the path to the desktop includes a user name, "b00130382",that may not match between your home computer and this second computer. Since the user name doesn't match the path names can't match. The rest of the file name may match because it starts with "Documents" and has "Desktop" in the description but that user name thing can make the whole process a "no-go".

If you had say done a "save as" and saved the object and images all to a thumb drive and opened the object on the new machine it may have opened. Not a guarantee though.

sampei
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks, I'm quite busy but will try to find the time to test your theory. It's really been bugging me and I don't want to leave it unsolved ;)

rapscallion
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Hei...just curious...what are the operating systems on the machines that you are moving between? I had the exact same issue where files that opened with no trouble on my XP64 and XP32 desktop machines would refuse to open on my Vista32 laptop...I was NEVER able to solve it...the image files would open just fine with preview or quicktime or photoshop on the V32 lappy, but for some reason Lightwave refused to acknowledge the existence of certain image files...for the record, I did not have those issues on my W7 desktops - so at this point, I just keep the laptop out of the loop...

Good luck! I really hope you solve this, 'cuz I would love to be able to work with my laptop in Lightwave when the mood strikes me to watch TV at the same :D

thanks!

sampei
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I have vista 64 on my thinkpad and the desktops in uni should be vista 32 if im not mistaken but it might be xp...argh cant remember....

wibly wobly
12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
I just ran into this as well. I think the textures are just too large (at least in my case). Everything was fine as I loaded in some pretty large psd UVs for colour, diffuse, spec etc. Then when I hit one more of them, it all went to hell. Saving them out as diff formats didn't help either. If they do load, I loose the colour date. They're dark, black and white images. pngs, tgas, no help. Either it's a 32bit problem or it's LWs texture limit I'm hitting. Like I said, they're getting a bit big. Around 5.5x5.5 k each. I can load the images that won't load in when I clear the scene of everything else, just not when I have a certain amount of them. Gotta scale them down I guess.

dwburman
12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I just ran into this as well. I think the textures are just too large (at least in my case). Everything was fine as I loaded in some pretty large psd UVs for colour, diffuse, spec etc. Then when I hit one more of them, it all went to hell. Saving them out as diff formats didn't help either. If they do load, I loose the colour date. They're dark, black and white images. pngs, tgas, no help. Either it's a 32bit problem or it's LWs texture limit I'm hitting. Like I said, they're getting a bit big. Around 5.5x5.5 k each. I can load the images that won't load in when I clear the scene of everything else, just not when I have a certain amount of them. Gotta scale them down I guess.

Have you tried saving out the diffuse, spec, etc images as grayscale instead of color? Diffuse (and most other channels except color and normal maps) only use the luminance of an image so saving them as color means you have 2 (or 3 if you include alpha) extra channels of data loaded in memory.

wibly wobly
12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I got it all working thanks. I just hit the texture wall I've heard about. I was using psds to set things up before optimizing them into smaller more manageable files and it just crapped out on me. I was already using grayscaled images for spec and diffuse. The data size was just too big when I reached a certain number of textures. I don't know if I'd have the same issue in the 64 bit version, as I don't have that running at home yet.

Phil
12-30-2010, 03:46 AM
There's one answer - infiniMap :)

wibly wobly
12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
haha, I suppose I could go that route. I think part of my problem is I've been waiting for service pack 1 for win7 to come out before I go 64 bit at home. I'm assuming most of my problems here are memory related.