PDA

View Full Version : My first Beef with Newtek in almost 20 years...

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Ok, I have a Video Toaster 3.0, I never upgraded to 4 or five because I bought SpeedEdit. I love NewTek but I hate that my VT[3] won't run on 7. I have ONE supercomputer that will run XP, Vista or 7. I hate VISTA but I want my VT 3.0 to run on 7. I don't consider releasing new drivers that run on 7 a major upgrade a machine that does everything it was suppose to do and is still a great product EXCEPT that it's drivers to run on today's operating system. I personally like the "look" of VT[3] better than 4 or 5 and the fact that I own 2 copies of SpeedEDIT means there are no benefits to upgrading the VT[3] for me. I spent what..$3000.00 on this great product and I think that great service would be a minor upgrade to JUST THE DRIVERS to make it work on 7 so I don't have to invest in another supercomputer to run 7 and SpeedEDIT and almost ANY OTHER SOFTWARE BY ANY OTHER COMPANY NO MATTER ALMOST HOW OLD. My question to you is, do I have a real beef or do I have to spend a good amount of money JUST to make my drivers work with 7 and get a "Look and Feel" upgrade that I personally don't like. I bet premeire 1.0 runs on 7. I bet Vegas 1.0 runs on 7, I bet Final Cut 1.0 runs on Snow Leopard (virtually slowly but MAC people are slow and can't tell the difference). I bet I have a BEEF WITH NEWTEK and I find that amazing because they are in my mind THE #3 company in the world, right under www.trustmedia.tv and www.soundtraxxmusic.com (#1 & #2 in my mind).

Do I have a BEEF or am I a BEEF HEAD, be honest.:goodluck::newtek::cool:

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Sorry, Me again, just wanted to post another for instance. If we started getting e-mails from our clients that our .mp3's were not playing on Ubuntu it would be critical as a company that www.soundtraxxmusic.com (still under construction, launching May 31, 2010 but check it out now for a preview) make NEW versions of THE SAME SONGS that are great and do what their suppose to do FOR FREE and make them available for download. But, I can see where newtek is coming from, the way to make BIG MONEY would be to RECOMPRESS THE LIBRARY as .oggvorbis and sell it as SOUNDTRAXX 1.0 (Version 2.0) and charge maybe 1/4 the cost of what my customers paid for their perfectly good legacy .mp3's that won't PLAY on UBUNTU.

This is not some trick to get you to go to www.soundtraxxmusic.com, I REALLY HAVE A BEEF WITH NEWTEK ABOUT MY AWESOME VT[3] THAT DOESN'T LIKE to PLAY with 7.

Gentlemen, do I have "A BEEF WITH NEWTEK?"

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I think you're expecting a bit much here. How old is VT3? And now they're on VT5 and the hardware has changed? At some point you should be expected to upgrade to a system. You BOUGHT Windows7, right? Now it seems like you'll have to buy VT5. Interestingly enough, I've got the VT5 - but without the hardware upgrade - looks like my setup won't work either if I upgrade to Win7. I have a LynxOne soundcard (about $700) that I would love to have work on 64bit systems, but Lynx won't and have no plans to update the drivers. I'm stuck on a 32bit system for that setup. Oh well... :grumpy:

By the way, have you emailed tech support and asked them if the drivers will be updated? :)

Dear friend,

Let me assure you there is NOTHING OLD ABOUT MY VT[3] is a a state of the art TOOL that allows me to convert OLD ANALOG stuff to THE MOST MODERN FORMATS KNOWN TO MANKIND (except under 7). This is not a major upgrade IT a SMALL upgrade TO THE DRIVERS.

One time I was servicing a clients VT[4] and I boooted in SAFE MODE under 7 and GOT THE DRIVER TO INSTALL MANUALLY with THE OLD TOASTER CARD. I assure you that NewTek wold never purposefully BLOCK the old (perfectly good) drivers from working under 7. They've just been very busing with TriCasters and whatnot, I know nothing but speak the truth, if anything some FLASH or iTunes upgrade made the VT[x] drivers not work with 7 (that makes sense).:grumpy:

StereoMike
04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
I vote for 'no' either.

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Then IF VT[5] works under 7 I will upgrade at full cost and nother bother asking NewTek to upgrade the VT[3] drivers, I definately believe that if this is a major upgrade to an outdated legacy product that could not run on seven with just a small simple inepsensive little tweak free download then I will spen the money with NewTek, just like I did with DigiPaint, Digiview, 2 Toaster 2000's, 2 toaster 4000's 3 copies of Lightwave and 2 copies of SpeedEDIT. I'm not a cheap bastard, just a businessman who believes in free tweaks to keep a product running and fairly priced major upgrades for the same reason.

Do I have a beef with NewTek?:tcicon::vticon::newtek::lwicon::vticon::vt icon::vticon::vticon::vticon:

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I think you're expecting a bit much here. How old is VT3? And now they're on VT5 and the hardware has changed? At some point you should be expected to upgrade to a system. You BOUGHT Windows7, right? Now it seems like you'll have to buy VT5. Interestingly enough, I've got the VT5 - but without the hardware upgrade - looks like my setup won't work either if I upgrade to Win7. I have a LynxOne soundcard (about $700) that I would love to have work on 64bit systems, but Lynx won't and have no plans to update the drivers. I'm stuck on a 32bit system for that setup. Oh well... :grumpy:

By the way, have you emailed tech support and asked them if the drivers will be updated? :)

I don't think that the VT PRO card was a 64bit upgrade, it had some extra channell for something and some kind of doohicky addon port, nothing major but I think it allowed you to do LIVESETS which I personally do not use at this time. Its virtually the same card (I think please someone let me know so I can make the right decision).:help:

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Yes, it does seem that NT has been focusing almost (AFAIK) excluosively on the TriCaster as opposed to VT5. I really don't know since I haven't really followed VT5 and have not installed it. Busy with LW and Fusion.

Still... if it really is as easy as "simply" updating drivers, then NT will do it. If it is more involved, then... they probably won't and will expect you to upgrade. Either that or just use it on a spare computer with XP. ;)

What does (AFAIK) mean? ;):newtek::newtek::newtek:

Lightwolf
04-19-2010, 02:58 AM
What does (AFAIK) mean? ;):newtek::newtek::newtek:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=afaik ;)

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
04-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Perhaps the problem is that you upgraded to an operating system without determining whether your existing equipment or software was compatible...which is 100% your fault, not NewTek's.

We have some old cars and know a lot of people with various old cars, motorbikes etc...they were all made before unleaded petrol was introduced and it is solely our responsibility to deal with that. We can put additives into the fuel or we can have our engines converted to run on unleaded, I doubt that anyone would hold the manufacturers of a 30 year old car responsible and expect them to sort them out. Just like your VT3, they are long out of warranty and not the problem of the manufacturer.

Will you be offering free conversions for all of your old customers when new video formats are released?...I didn't think so.

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Perhaps the problem is that you upgraded to an operating system without determining whether your existing equipment or software was compatible...which is 100% your fault, not NewTek's.

We have some old cars and know a lot of people with various old cars, motorbikes etc...they were all made before unleaded petrol was introduced and it is solely our responsibility to deal with that. We can put additives into the fuel or we can have our engines converted to run on unleaded, I doubt that anyone would hold the manufacturers of a 30 year old car responsible and expect them to sort them out. Just like your VT3, they are long out of warranty and not the problem of the manufacturer.

Will you be offering free conversions for all of your old customers when new video formats are released?...I didn't think so.

No, I have not upgraded from XP yet, I use my VT[3] too much, I only have 7 on my laptop with SpeedEDIT.

And of course I wouldn't upgrade a $3000.00 production from VHS to Blue Ray for free, I would charge $10-$30.00 depending on the lenght. You see, my beef is that I am not SURE but I THINK that all that my VT[3] needs to run on 7 or VISTA is a simple inexpsnive easy driver upgrade that I would Gladly pay $10.00 to download or $30.00 for a disk.

If FORD produced a car for $3000.00 that needed new spark plugs to run on ethanol they would probably offer you new spark plugs for $10-$30 rather than try to sell you a new engine with different spark plugs for $500.00 or maybe they wouldn't???

Do I have a beef with NewTek:confused::newtek::vticon::help:

StereoMike
04-19-2010, 06:31 AM
And if only a single customer approaches FORD for those sparks, do you think Ford would still be in business, if they charged only 30$ for getting some engineers to work out a solution for you and produce your sparks?
How much does your car mechanic take for an hour of work? How much do you take? Now think about how rare an NT developer is compared to a graphics guy or a mechanic...

UnCommonGrafx
04-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Yes, you have a beef with NewTek.
Is it a valid beef? Probably not.
Tim built that expectation over the years that NewTek would "take care of their customers!" I believe that doesn't pay the bills like it used to...
To that end, they are a business working within the computer industry which never waits around for those sloughing about.

I have a new motherboard and the fancy vid card I bought for it died over the weekend. I have a perfectly good agp quadro card I was gonna limp on but, alas, the motherboard only has a pci-E slot. Whose my beef with? My wallet is about as far as it goes: do I buy or not. They moved on; if I want to use the computer, I bet I will, too.

Shawn Farrell
04-19-2010, 07:35 AM
I just checked the upgrade I would need to do It's the VT[5] + VT PRO card upgrade and it's $1995.00. Well, right now I can't afford it, I just upgraded SpeedEDIT and bought another copy of lightwave so I'm going to stick with XP until Microsoft somehow makes it obsolete which is bound to happen, I don't know how but when It does I should be ready to buy a VT[5] or Tricaster or Hoverboard or whatever is the latest and greatest that NewTek has to offer. Thank you all for your input. I have no beef with NewTek. :lol::newtek:

Titus
04-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I think SpeedEdit 2 now work with the blackmagic cards, not really sure.

robewil
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
In my opinion, it is unrealistic to expect a product 2 versions old to be kept up to date with an operating system. The other legacy produts you mention are software only, not a hardware/software combination which is much more prone to this sort of thing. At my company, we have all sorts of legacy hardware (document scanning equipment) that won't work with anything past Windows 98.

To upgrade to VT5, you don't need to upgrade the card to the Pro card. VT5 runs perfectly well with the old card.

aurora
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I love beef, especially now that the weather allows BBQ'ing again. Soon it will be beef with fresh corn and baked potato, some salad and french bread all out on the deck in the nice warm sun. Man who wouldn't love a little beef!

biliousfrog
04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Man who wouldn't love a little beef!

Me, I'm veggie :D

aurora
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
One in every crowd ;)

shrox
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I love beef, especially now that the weather allows BBQ'ing again. Soon it will be beef with fresh corn and baked potato, some salad and french bread all out on the deck in the nice warm sun. Man who wouldn't love a little beef!

I had an elkburger a few weeks ago, tasted very good.

Dexter2999
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
I had an elkburger a few weeks ago, tasted very good.

Uh, isn't that venison? So, no beef with Shrox.

shrox
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Uh, isn't that venison? So, no beef with Shrox.

There you go...all happy.

StereoMike
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Please stop eating away my meals fodder! :D

StereoMike
04-19-2010, 04:16 PM
zoMG!!111oneeleven!1!

Please don't eat ME!!!!

Ernest
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Actually, I think we've got it pretty good, considering the wilderness around us. On the one hand it seems that it's cruel that Newtek wouldn't take some VT5 developers from what they're doing and put them to update the VT 3 drivers for a couple of days. However, if you look around you, you'll see that not only is nobody else doing that, they are not even letting you upgrade. It seems that everyone else is happily de-customerifying everyone who skips a version (two, if you're lucky). They won't let you upgrade and you'll have to buy the product again (or a competitor, more likely). That is one stale, rancid piece of beef!

Remember an Audigy user actually fixed the sound drivers so that they would work properly in Windows 7 and Creative actually sent him a Cease and Desist and forced him to take them down?

dyls_E
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I would never expect any kind of fixes on software after about 18 months, i think its just time to upgrade rather then expected new tek to keep working on a out of date program.

I think new tek is great with the upgrades they do for lightwave.

StereoMike
04-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Audigy doesn't work on w7? I was planning to throw one of my Audigies (have 2) into the system I want to build the next week.

Ernest
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Audigy doesn't work on w7? I was planning to throw one of my Audigies (have 2) into the system I want to build the next week.

It works but it has lots of issues, especially with recording and with eax that a guy was able to fix by modifying the drivers. He was sharing them but he was forced to take them down.

Zane Condren
04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
It should be noted that we are offering a $5,000 trade in credit for VT3 and earlier customers towards the purchase of a TCXD850.