PDA

View Full Version : polygonal problem

Crim
09-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey guys im fairly new to lightave and ive been putting alot of time in to tutorials and stuff. I was wondering i created a logo in adobie photoshop and converted it to an ai. i loaded it with the epsf loader and i had all the points to this logo sitting infront of me but i cant seem to change them to proper polygons>?????
i tried clicking drill on and off and every thing.. and this modle is the letters CRIM.

i tried skinning but that filled in the out sides and stuff i tried selecting all the dots in order and (p) but that dosent properly fill in the polygon Im sure theres an easier way to do this does any one know how??

CoryC
09-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Do you have the book Inside Lightwave 7? EPSF rarely just imports in perfect and you need to do some work to get the logo right. Chapter 17 does a step-by-step example of what you are trying to do. One thing Dan recommends is to save out your file to Illustator version 6 for reliable importing.

Crim
09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
yah ive got that book and ive read the first 300 pages. and i looked that section over because i was hopeing to use it in a school project. im guessing the polygons should alredy be in place.

i saved it as a ai 6. file and it didnt work so i tried it in photo shop and did all the path setting stuff and converted it to an ai so i dont know.... :(

CoryC
09-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Is your logo complicated? You can make the remake the outer solid polys and then put the points for the cutout section each in their own layer, make a solid poly, move the poly a little back, then drill with tunnel. Make sure the X,Y, or Z is correct or nothing will happen. If your logo is flat in the top view use Y, Front or back use Z, right or left use X.

Crim
09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
il try that but isnt there an easier affective way just to make points to pollys? id think light wave is capible of connecting a few dots to createa a polygon.. i dont know im pretty new to this.

Crim
09-10-2003, 07:35 PM
is there like a way to tell the program to fill in the internal segment insted of binding them all to geather.?

CoryC
09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Points to polys - Select the points in a clockwise rotation and hit 'p' to create a poly. Can you post a screen shot of what you are getting?

riki
09-12-2003, 08:02 PM
From my tut site see link below

EPSF Loader - Importing Font Outlines from Illustrator

An alternative to using the Text Tool, is to import Font Outlines from an Illustrator EPS file, using the 'EPSF Loader'.

First convert the Text to outlines in Illustrator (Type > Create Outlines), then select the Text and deactivate 'Colour Fills'. Save as a Version 8 Illustrator EPS file. Then Import into Modeler using the EPSF Loader.

Note: The 'Auto AxisDrill' option in the EPSF Loader Popup will try to automatically drill any required holes in your Text.

File > Import > EPSF_Loader