PDA

View Full Version : Selling Modo 401 License

cgisoul
04-17-2010, 04:20 AM
I'm selling modo 401 for $680 including 2 tutorials (Seahorse and The Le Mans C9 Experience). If there's someone who is interested, please email me to mduque at live dot com

Thank you.

cgisoul
04-25-2010, 05:12 AM
It's still available!

Total original value: $995 (modo 401) + $40 (2 Lux Tutorials = Sea Horse & Le Mans C9 Training Experience tutorials) + $58.95 (3D Garage 301 Signature Course) = $1093.95

I'm selling everything for $680 in total. You SAVE: $413.95!!!

Whoever is interested, send me an email to mduque at live dot com

geo_n
04-26-2010, 01:26 AM
I notice people selling modo lately. Is there a reason for selling modo 4?

cgisoul
04-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Let just say, I lost interest in Lux, modo in general, period.

Captain Obvious
04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
I notice people selling modo lately. Is there a reason for selling modo 4?
Not using it, and needing money? Same as the reason for selling anything else one owns? :D

hrgiger
04-26-2010, 04:02 AM
It could be becauuse up until recently, you weren't allowed to sell a Modo license. Lux recently started allowing people, but they charge $100 to do it. I guess they realized the Autodesk of their ways.

OnlineRender
04-26-2010, 04:18 AM
It could be becauuse up until recently, you weren't allowed to sell a Modo license. Lux recently started allowing people, but they charge $100 to do it. I guess they realized the Autodesk of their ways.

*chuckle*

cgisoul
04-26-2010, 04:46 AM
Autodesk is partially to blame. And not a lot of people are selling their licenses, only few. I'm interested in CORE and although CORE is not yet a full application I am willing to take this investment risk.

MacDoggie
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Understandable... Modo while being a Modeling, UV, and rendering solution (for rendering stills), we like a lot, does seem fettered to some degree and has some deficiencies. There is a lot of potential but it still has a ways to go and some of the aspects of it are what I would refer to as "halfbaked" (something i don't take pleasure saying). Somethings, I feel that not only hinders Modo's effectiveness but also it's perception. Luxology doesn't seem concerned and seems to think that the the 501 release will put everyone at ease... we will see. Nevertheless Modo still is a very effective choice, it just needs to be completed and the aspects that are incomplete need to be finished out. The very strengths that put Modo in such high esteem are seemingly being eroded by the development and progress of other applications. Most (if not all) features of modo that made it so unique are now features that other main stream apps process that are either very comparable if not surpassed by the standard feature list of said mainstream applications. Modo 501 will be a pivotal release for us and will indicate whether or not we invest in Luxology any longer (beyond that point anyway). Development in Core's Modeling tools are also something we are are truly looking forward to as they too will also determined whether we go with Lightwave core modeller (in lieu of Modo for modeling and UV mapping) or not. Both companies it seems are poised at the crossroads. We are looking forward to seeing just what transpires with them both. It will be interesting indeed.:D:D

cgisoul
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
modo is indeed in an dangerous position, but that doesn't reflect as the end of Lux business obviously. However, if they don't deliver this time, it will certainly put them further behind in relation to others and harder to catch up or the road is just longer. Maybe their intention is never to be a giant? It doesn't matter really.

As many love modo for modeling, I never use it for that task. What attracted me to get modo at first, was its quality rendering and never its modeling tools. For that, I have Silo / Hex (both considered death apps by many). Having tried modo for almost 5 years, and having heard Brad Mambo Jambo for so long, I find it that it's time to move away and invest in a new application like CORE. Yes, it is risky and adventuring to the unknown, so the same as for when I invested for Lux. :thumbsup:

Time to move on.

MacDoggie
04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
modo is indeed in an dangerous position, but that doesn't reflect as the end of Lux business obviously. However, if they don't deliver this time, it will certainly put them further behind in relation to others and harder to catch up or the road is just longer. Maybe their intention is never to be a giant? It doesn't matter really.

I wouldn't necessarily say dangerous any more than I would apply that term to lightwave. True if they don't deliver the goods they will lose some of their user base. True, the catch up will be a more daunting task. Personally I feel that Modo should focus on the areas that truly make them stand out from the others and then take it to the next level of efficiency. They seemed to have lost touch with that fact with their zeal for the animation and CA tools... understandably so. However, it also seems that the competition has caught up if not surpassed Modo's innovative approach so it is not so unique anymore. People don't have to leave their apps anymore for cutting edge modeling and UV mapping. the user base that wants these features and don't want to leave Modo will of course be very happy and will most likely keep Modo afloat till either Luxology does indeed finish out and expand their capabilities and hopefully gather up additional users along the way as well as (hopefully) impressing major accounts into giving Modo a go... Stranger things have happened. Luxology has the potential. Of course this is all speculative on my part and not to be construed as gospel...I will however,venture to say that Luxology without a doubt does wants to be a considered a top tier app (hell they all do). I do wish them the best only time will tell if they (LUX) are developing in the right direction. You could of course (in some respects) say the same for Lightwave as well. Only time will tell and if by any chance proves to the the wrong path that Luxology will have the good sense to learn from it's mistakes... Something we all know is easier said than done...

As many love modo for modeling, I never use it for that task. What attracted me to get modo at first, was its quality rendering and never its modeling tools. For that, I have Silo / Hex (both considered death apps by many). Having tried modo for almost 5 years, and having heard Brad Mambo Jambo for so long, I find it that it's time to move away and invest in a new application like CORE. Yes, it is risky and adventuring to the unknown, so the same as for when I invested for Lux. :thumbsup:

Time to move on.

That's an interesting point. True Brad does have some mambo jambo as you put it but, he's a sales/ marketing person that seems to go with the territory. I don't think any company is free of the mambo jambo factor ESPECIALLY in marketing and sales.:thumbsup: If Modo went belly up at this present point I personally would not have lost anything. The projects I have used Modo for have more than paid for Modo's investment at least five times over so at this moment I am operating Modo in sheer profit as I have been for sometime. Even if Modo went belly up, Modo would still support LW as a Modeller UV Mapping tool as well as an alternative rendering engine for studio shots or stills till either Lightwave core fills those shoes or (in the advent that NT drops the ball) we decide to migrate to Maya instead.... The bottom line for us is to be able to deliver a good product on time at the quality our clients have grown accustomed to. If the applications can't deliver for us or hinder us in anyway then we WILL use another tool without hesitation.:D:D

Here's to hoping LW core will deliver the goods:beerchug::beerchug:

Snosrap
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
If Modo went belly up at this present point I personally would not have lost anything.

Brad's latest Mambo Jambo says that sales are up 40%. I would dare to speculate on what - modo or Photoview 360 attachments to SolidWorks. Probably the latter.

Andyjaggy
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Even if the current version of Modo was the last I would still continue to use it for the foreseeable future as my modeler. Despite all the great advancements many of the 3D packages have gotten lately in regards to modeling, I still prefer and like the Modo way more than any of them.

What's funny is I have been using Modo for a year now...... and I have yet to render a single image in it. :) Except when I accidentally hit the render button.

MacDoggie
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Brad's latest Mambo Jambo says that sales are up 40%. I would dare to speculate on what - modo or Photoview 360 attachments to SolidWorks. Probably the latter.

Yup, that's what Brad says.... I heard the Modo cast. As I said, Marketing, regardless of which 3D app represented, is going to throw some :mambo jambo in there somewhere. It is pretty much that nature of the beast. Mambo Jambo by the way is not my term I would have said market speak which is not so confrontational I reckon.:thumbsup::goodluck:
As a Modo user, I am glad that sales are up 40% and it is possible that Brad is "lumping " the figures together not necessarily unknown for marketing and sales to do. Nevertheless I personally would love to see Modo do well as I have a vested interest in Modo. Just as I do (more so) in LW...:thumbsup::goodluck:

Cheers

MacDoggie
04-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Even if the current version of Modo was the last I would still continue to use it for the foreseeable future as my modeler. Despite all the great advancements many of the 3D packages have gotten lately in regards to modeling, I still prefer and like the Modo way more than any of them.

What's funny is I have been using Modo for a year now...... and I have yet to render a single image in it. :) Except when I accidentally hit the render button.

Me too! As a matter of fact I was using Modo as a stop gap for LW in the modeling department. As a LW Modeler EXpat I was completely blown away how nice it was to Model in Modo. now I do understand that there are those who use Silo and even Hex and really love to hold these over the Modo users (especially in the forums). I did try Silo and found it to actually be more intuitive than Modo yet at the same time it to me it lacked in a complete feel to me anyway. I preferred even with the (in some cases ) better tools to go back to Modo. LW's offering in the Modeling department is going to have to be very superior to Modo for me to come back to Modeler (LW) especially in regards to base capabilities of the native tool set.... No "schluffin" of basic tool capabilities to the third party please. Have a robust native tool capabilities and let third party do what they do best...enhance.

Like you I don't see Modo going away (although I am certain that there are those who would wish it so) and Modo will continue to carry LW for us in the Modeling department for sometime as I don't see anything coming out of NT anytime soon. However, when LW's offering does arrive, I expect it to at least compare favorably if not surpass Modo...Counting on it, I am.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers

cgisoul
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi There,

Maybe some got me wrong, I don't hate or dislike modo or even Brad. Sorry if that's the miss understanding or impression I gave. I enjoy modo for its rendering capabilities and easy small scene setup. For that, bar none. It's lighting fast.

Now, when I first invested in modo, it was indeed with an expectation that modo would grow for better. But as years go by and listening to modcasts and lots of other things, I came to understand that Lux indeed it's becoming a tool that is just not for ME. That expectation and hope has gone and disappeared. That's what I personally feel about modo.

Brad is not doing less of what he should be doing and what he does best, which is Sell modo with his manbo jambo. Indeed works. But I just had enough and there were times when I felt being missed lead. Features that should work are half baked and no SP fixes the problems.

Silo and Hex although considered dead by many, is by far the fastest modeling tools available and for me, the most intuitive tools ever. Certainly, what woks for me, might not work for you and so on.

Modo, like CORE is more of a toy for me to work at home. 501 might be a really good release and I vote/ wish Lux all the success. Having Max 2011, I don't see that I will be missing anything from modo.

I think that what triggered me to sell my license was indeed Brad's manbo jambo and miss leading experience I got from Lux. That's entirely my own experience and feel. You don't have to agree with me. And when I say mambo jambo, I have no intentions to insult or be rude to anyone. Maybe it's just my sense of humor that is different.

I am very excited to invest in CORE and grow with it even not being a full app, like I did with modo. Well, if 501 proves to be an irresistible update and I don't have it sold by then, who knows?

Andyjaggy
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
I tried Silo (the developers live in the same city as me) and I really wanted to like it. I tried. It just didn't happen, there were just too many missing tools for me. Granted if I was more of an organic modeler, it might have appealed to me more, but as a hard surface modeler it was not up to par.

It's kind of funny though, what CGicore says about Bard, is exactly how I felt about Newtek and why I sold my Core license. I felt like I had been lied to and misled and didn't like it, so I left and went to Modo. To each there own.

cgisoul
04-27-2010, 09:17 AM
I tried Silo (the developers live in the same city as me) and I really wanted to like it. I tried. It just didn't happen, there were just too many missing tools for me. Granted if I was more of an organic modeler, it might have appealed to me more, but as a hard surface modeler it was not up to par.

It's kind of funny though, what CGicore says about Bard, is exactly how I felt about Newtek and why I sold my Core license. I felt like I had been lied to and misled and didn't like it, so I left and went to Modo. To each there own.

Maybe I have just been long enough (+/-5 years) listening to Brad and CORE only came around 1 year so? :goodluck: for both sides.

Nicolas Jordan
04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Sometimes it doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. :D

Andyjaggy
04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
True. But I have found sometimes it actually is greener. :)

However I gave up a long time ago trying to convince people that X software is better than Y software.

Someday someone will make the perfect 3D program. Perhaps Core will be it, perhaps not. At any rate Modo + Max, and the occasional LW works for me.

MacDoggie
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi There,

Maybe some got me wrong, I don't hate or dislike modo or even Brad. Sorry if that's the miss understanding or impression I gave. I enjoy modo for its rendering capabilities and easy small scene setup. For that, bar none. It's lighting fast.

No, I never got that impression. As a matter of fact the few people I know who are selling their seats (Not exactly what I would call a mass exodus) are not necessarily doing so because they hate Modo. Monetary issues, having to turn to a another app due to the fact that if you want to for the most part want to remain marketable (hire-able) you need to have proficiency in certain apps., As well as those who just can't wait any longer for Luxology to deliver on certain capabilities, A few cited the arrival of children (birth). People have their reasons and they are not necessarily malevolent in nature. I am not going to bother citing those that are disgruntled for whatever reason... So a few people selling their seats of Modo hardly constitutes a disaster for Luxology AFAIAC...:D. Interestingly enough, there are people selling their seats of LW as well on the Modo forum. I don't see any one sweating here...

Now, when I first invested in modo, it was indeed with an expectation that modo would grow for better. But as years go by and listening to modcasts and lots of other things, I came to understand that Lux indeed it's becoming a tool that is just not for ME. That expectation and hope has gone and disappeared. That's what I personally feel about modo.

Brad is not doing less of what he should be doing and what he does best, which is Sell modo with his manbo jambo. Indeed works. But I just had enough and there were times when I felt being missed lead. Features that should work are half baked and no SP fixes the problems.

Silo and Hex although considered dead by many, is by far the fastest modeling tools available and for me, the most intuitive tools ever. Certainly, what woks for me, might not work for you and so on.

Modo, like CORE is more of a toy for me to work at home. 501 might be a really good release and I vote/ wish Lux all the success. Having Max 2011, I don't see that I will be missing anything from modo.

I think that what triggered me to sell my license was indeed Brad's manbo jambo and miss leading experience I got from Lux. That's entirely my own experience and feel. You don't have to agree with me. And when I say mambo jambo, I have no intentions to insult or be rude to anyone. Maybe it's just my sense of humor that is different.

I am very excited to invest in CORE and grow with it even not being a full app, like I did with modo. Well, if 501 proves to be an irresistible update and I don't have it sold by then, who knows?

I have to agree with you Luxology is going to make a big I repeat, Big mistake if they ignore their users. But developers are people that means they have their visions as well as their prejudices and that's baggage we all have to contend with both coming and going. As I have stated previously to me it seems Luxology wants the animation system as well as the CA system, then there is the dynamics engine that is necessary if you want to offer an industry grade application. They want to be a fully capable 3D application. Something (apparently) they are finding out ... Is easier said than done. Development is not easy. The statement of the half baked tools as fairly valid as far as I am concerned. Luxology does need to finish out and tighten up some of the issues with some the existing tools (It's not necessary to go into detail). however Luxology (Like NT) is a small company with a small Dev Team (even smaller than NT). They are committed to developing that animation system as well as the CA system so that means in the interim things like finishing to tightening up existing toolsets are going to take back seat. If they (Lux) are ignoring their users then well that's a whole other issue altogether and not something I want to get into. There will most likely be the same type of fallout with Lightwave core as well as people feel they aren't getting what they need or just downright feel as if they are not being considered. There WILL be casualties... Oh yeah...:boogiedow:boogiedow

As far as Brad speak goes well, Brad's a salesman dude... That's what salesmen do. Spew, "mambo jambo/market speak". If I may be so bold as to use your term :bowdown:

In regards to mambo Jumbo,I didn't mean anything by it I thought the term hit the nail on the head as far as colorfully descriptive terms go... :D I agree Silo is very nice but I just preferred Modo and I do wish Luxology would glean approaches similar to Silo. It is a true bad *** in the realm of Modeling. Hex, well maybe but I wasn't that intrigued by Hex. Sorry. Hopefully this clears things up ...

Cheers

MacDoggie
04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe I have just been long enough (+/-5 years) listening to Brad and CORE only came around 1 year so? :goodluck: for both sides.

Well Lightwave core is not exactly what I would call usable yet but if developed properly it will be a force to be reckoned with no doubt in the days to come... Like Luxology's Modo, the potential is there...:thumbsup:

Cheers

MacDoggie
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Sometimes it doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. :D

In my case, it was... Hopefully Lightwave core will be a welcome alternative in the realm of modeling and UV Mapping as opposed to having to resort to the life of a LW Expat.:D Till then, I'm covered. Personally, I would like nothing better than to keep it all in LW... We'll see!:thumbsup:

Cheers

probiner
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I still don't get what UV mapping you can do in Modo that you can't do in LW. Only issue i know so far is that LW can mess up your UV when you use commands like "connect", but other than that tell me guys. What can you do in UVM that you can't do in LW (and yes we know there are levels of patience of many "can do's").

Andyjaggy
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
For me the biggest problem with UV mapping in modeler was the selection system. You have to use the free PLG tools, and in order to select your creases for unwrapping you have to use the nasty PLG edge tool selection thingg magig, which sucks. In Modo you just use your regular selection system and it's a breeze to select the edges you need for your unwrapping.

I also really like the project from view option in Modo.

The interactive relaxing and seam stitching also works really well.

Also the ability to select islands in your UV window is a huge time saver, and I like how it shows you polygons that are overlapping in your UV map.

Overall it's not necessarily that it's anything you can't do in LW, it's just that it's less painful, easier, and faster in Modo.

MacDoggie
04-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I still don't get what UV mapping you can do in Modo that you can't do in LW. Only issue i know so far is that LW can mess up your UV when you use commands like "connect", but other than that tell me guys. What can you do in UVM that you can't do in LW (and yes we know there are levels of patience of many "can do's").

Well you see at the time I decided to go with Modo. UV editing was a brutal process. You had to use third party scripts and plugs to actually do what I would call great UV work with a high ease of use factor. the other issue I had was scripts and plugs breaking with the new architecture and not being supported on the Mac side. Modo on the other hand had all of these great features that worked "natively" with the default tools. They just simply worked and made a brutal process formerly done in LW a pleasant chore. I am expecting Lightwave core to have this same level of efficiency if not surpassing Modo. Hopefully at a default level as opposed to having to rely on a third party solution.

Cheers

probiner
04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
In Modo you just use your regular selection system.
I see what this says about modo. It looks like Modo has the Edge based operations better implemented than LW.

The interactive relaxing and seam stitching also works really well.
I get the stitching but PLG Relax looks better than Modo or 3DCoat. Stuff gets really flat and with the less tension possible. From the most tools talked here in the foruns i think only UVLayout does a better job at relaxing stuff.

Also the ability to select islands in your UV window is a huge time saver, and I like how it shows you polygons that are overlapping in your UV map.THAT ISLAND SELECTION THING IS SO COOL. i have to unweld by uv borders to do that. And its a great way to select things many times. The overlapping UV display is nice too.

Overall it's not necessarily that it's anything you can't do in LW, it's just that it's less painful, easier, and faster in Modo. That i get it =)

Hopefully at a default level as opposed to having to rely on a third party solution.

gotcha both.

Thanks for putting that out guys :thumbsup:

Cheers

Andyjaggy
04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
The quality of the unwrapping and relaxing with PLG is certainly not the issue. Sometimes I do feel like I get slightly better results using PLG than doing it in Modo, but not a big enough difference to get me back into LW for doing it.

MacDoggie
04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
The quality of the unwrapping and relaxing with PLG is certainly not the issue. Sometimes I do feel like I get slightly better results using PLG than doing it in Modo, but not a big enough difference to get me back into LW for doing it.

Same here. While I see a lot of truly excellent UV solutions cropping up since I had left LW for Modelling in Modo, I must confess I have become quite familiar with the UV mapping process in Modo as with anything else, it's shortcomings. However as with anything else There are ways of getting around. You generally learn this by application as well as the great source shared info from the Modo Community. Which incidentally reminds a lot of how I felt when I first started using LW and got into the LW Community... It was all about sharing.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Whatever deficiencies Modo may or may not possess it is still (for me)a very capable UV tool that has in it's default state far better capabilities than that of LW's where you have to rely on a third party solution to what should be a basic transaction IMO. There does it seems to be an issue though as Modo is being lapsed by other developers mainly due to the fact that they are focusing on their animation system, and being an even smaller company that NT means that the basic tools are going fall back to some degree. Hopefully (for their sake) Lux will devote some focus on once again raising the bar on the quality of the default tool set.

GraphXs
04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I wish LWM had more control in UV space. It would be nice to get edge selection in LWM UV window and also better display stuff in UV space edges/to edges, island selections, UV's not messting up when adding edge,etc,etc. Hope Core gets all these features! At least LWM has PLG and it's a great plugin, its to bad Newtek couldn't just integrate it more.

cgisoul
05-05-2010, 04:26 AM
It's still available.

MacDoggie
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
CGicore... My heartfelt apologies for derailing your thread. To those who are interested, this is not a bad deal!

Unfortunately, I have a seat of Modo and... It's NOT for sale.:D:D

Looking forward to Lightwave core though!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cgisoul
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
CGicore... My heartfelt apologies for derailing your thread. To those who are interested, this is not a bad deal!

Unfortunately, I have a seat of Modo and... It's NOT for sale.:D:D

Looking forward to Lightwave core though!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's all good it's all good. I am not in a rush to sell it. So, the deal is still on and whoever comes along, just shoot me an email and it's all good.
:hey: