PDA

View Full Version : Font list drop-down acting funny...

creach
02-27-2003, 11:26 AM
VT [2] build 3890.

I have (sit down first...this *may* be a shock) some nine-hundred fonts on my system. The list "becomes" 650 or so if I hide families/similar. Whenever I am in Toaster CG and access the font drop-down list, it acts differently. Each behavior will remain for an entire session, but re-booting will not always alleviate the quirk.

I have noticed a few repeated behaviors: 1) all the fonts display normally, 2) NO fonts display, but the list appears. The width of the list has now become approximately as wide as the monitor (e.g. 1024 pixels), 3) same as number 2 above, except there are SOME fonts displayed - they do not show the typestyle, only the font name in the current system font. I believe the fonts that DO show are the original (Win2K installed) fonts.

Is anyone else experiencing this under the same conditions, or am I really abusing CG with an "abnormally large" number of fonts?

Dan

Faraz
02-27-2003, 04:57 PM
I think you're recommended to keep the number fonts on your system under 200. :)

creach
02-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Sheesh! 200 fonts!! 8-0

Golleeeeee! So I get to choose Helvetica and Times and *only* 198 more?!

Whew! I'll use those up in a week!

Okay. 8-(

Thanks, Faraz.

Somebody's gotta teach them ol' aliens 'bout fonts, huh?

Dan

Gordon
03-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Having more than a couple hundred fonts on a Windoze OS based computer causes all kinds of problems in most programs. There may be a few exceptions to this rule but generally I use a font navigator program to manage windows fonts and the 2000 fonts that are available to me.

creach
03-18-2003, 03:14 PM
I have trimmed (and hacked and slashed) the font list down to a smidge *less* than 500 fonts, and now the drop-down seems to mis-behave seldom to never. :)

Dan

Dick Nelson
03-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Sometimes when I click on the font selection bar to change fonts the fonts don't show up. Don't think this is a problem of having too many because it happened even when we had only those that came with the system.

Gordon
04-01-2003, 10:48 AM
That can happend when you are out of real memory, (as compared with virtual memory). Generally, it is a good warning sign that things need to be changed to free up more real memory.

Close down any Toaster modules not being used.
Divide complex projects into subprojects
Save current project with all subprojects
Delete all but the first subproject
'Save As' this sub-projects with 'ProjectName_Sub1'
Reload original project
Delete all but the second subproject
'Save As' this sub-projects with 'ProjectName_Sub2'
etc.
[/list=1]

When finished saving all subprojects as separate entities, then:[list]
Start 'New Project', (this is important)
Exit Video Toaster, this will free up the memory.
Restart Video Toaster - it will load the last project which in this case was the new and empty project.
Load and work on each subproject.

When finished working on each subproject:
Render each subproject out as a single file.
Start a new project and load all the rendered subprojects into it.

With a now limited amount of clips, this should free up enough memory to list fonts, add titles, credits and other finishing touches to the video.

Gord