PDA

View Full Version : Glass problem

jurupari
04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi everybody! Hope somobedoy can help me with this.

I'm modeling an exhibition stand, with lots of glass (showcases). Glass is not-nodal plain old layered LW glass. You can see my problem in the image (sorry, no larger available just now): the green box should be the glass of a showcase, seen through another, larger showcase. It looks that, in place of glass, i get the "backdrop colour": to confirm this, I turned it green on purpose.

What I tried: turn off raytraced reflections, refractions and transparency, and permutations of the three; turn off Fast Fresnel in Surface editor; again in Surface editor, Environment tab, tried switching to Raytracing+spherical map, without setting any map: as a result, got a black box rather than a green box.

I'm using final gather radiosity, and full raytraced shadow, reflections etc.

I hope this is not kind of a FAQ whose solution I missed: i made a quick search by keyword in the forums, found nothing of help.

Thanks in advance for any help
Tommaso

BeeVee
04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Raytrace recursions?

B

jurupari
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Excuse me, I'm not sure what you mean: if it's "ray recursion limit" it's set to 4; indirect bounces is set to 7

cagey5
04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Excuse me, I'm not sure what you mean: if it's "ray recursion limit" it's set to 4; indirect bounces is set to 7

Try increasing the recursive limit to 8

BeeVee
04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Try upping that amount, ray recursion also applies with multiple transparencies in addition to reflections. The fact that you can see your backdrop colour is a sure sign.

B

jurupari
04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Ah, OK ... brain sluggish at 1 AM... set ray recursion limit to 8, much better results, but render time increased (with VERY low antialias and radiosity settings) from 4'43 to 7'57 minutes...

digitaldoc
04-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Ray recursion is basically the number of surfaces the rays will penetrate plus one, radiosity is probably killing you renderwise. FPrime might be an option.

jurupari
04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Ray recursion is basically the number of surfaces the rays will penetrate plus one, radiosity is probably killing you renderwise. FPrime might be an option.

True, I'm fighting against absurd render times... Unfortunately, Fprime is not an option, not for now at least.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

bjornkn
04-18-2010, 08:04 AM
If you move all your glass to a separate layer and set that to be unseen by radiosity you'll cut down your render times a lot !

jurupari
04-20-2010, 03:07 AM
If you move all your glass to a separate layer and set that to be unseen by radiosity you'll cut down your render times a lot !

That's a good idea! thanks, biornkn! Think that all glass is already in a layer of its own...