PDA

View Full Version : all about to die? - OT

KillMe
09-10-2003, 04:44 PM
i just read this - best start buying canned food and installing a damned good central heating system

"Volcano Threatens Life on Earth

A SUPERVOLCANO simmering beneath one of the planet's areas of outstanding natural beauty has been branded a threat to mankind.

The massive explosive force lies beneath America's Yellowstone National Park - and scientists believe it is ready to erupt.

The volcano is so huge that when it does blow all life will be extinguished within a 300-mile radius, leaving vast swathes of the US devastated.

Thousands of tons of ash and sulphur dioxide will be thrown up into the atmosphere causing acid rain, blocking out sunlight and plunging the world into a bleak frozen era that will threaten all life on earth.

And scientists are warning the 'extinction-level event' is long overdue.

Professor Bill McGuire, of the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre, at University College, in London, said: "The Yellowstone supervolcano has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years.

"The last eruption was 640,000 years ago, so the next is long overdue."

US geologists have discovered a bulge beneath Yellowstone Lake which is 2,000 feet long and has forced the lake bed to rise by 100 feet.

Part of the park has been closed to visitors as ground temperatures have also soared - sparking fears the volcano is set to blow.

Liz Morgan, one of the geologists monitoring the site, said: "The inflated plain is a potential and serious hazard and possible precursor to a large hydrothermal explosion."

Beamtracer
09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Maybe you should model the event in Lightwave to show us all what it will be like!

I suggest using Hypervoxels.

Fasty
09-10-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm more scared of being impacted upon by a meteor actually. Which is also overdue. Or a flesh eating disease that makes your lungs fill with fluid and your eyeballs fill with blood. That's scary. I think a volcano would be pretty exciting actually!

KillMe
09-10-2003, 05:43 PM
not convinced the ice age would be fun though - ah well its a good excuse to propose to my g/f if i can work up the courage lol

just hope its an over eager journalist

jb_gfx
09-10-2003, 07:40 PM
According to your nick name I bet it's really what you want, isn't it? So why crying now?

Seriously what the heck that has to do here, in LW community forum?

And a good suggestion for you, go to see a psychiatric doctor cause you really need one.

A Mejias
09-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Maybe you should model the event in Lightwave to show us all what it will be like!

I suggest using Hypervoxels.

I've already built a scale model, in my kitchen, out of paper mache(sp) and chicken wire. I will make it erupt with vinegar and baking soda. Or is it gasoline and fertilizer? OK, I use both, just in case...

Elmar Moelzer
09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
So, you just read this?
What publication was that?
I mean was it the Sun, or the Times, or National Geographic, or even Scientific American? I mean something like that going to happen would be a major sensation right, yet you are the first one talk about it, how comes?
CU
Elmar

Beamtracer
09-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Actually, the greatest threat to humanity is a mutant influenza virus. Most of the world's top virologists believe such a pandemic capable of killing a third to a half of all the healthy people it infects will emerge in the next few years.

Some links for those interested:

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/17221

http://www.abc.net.au/am/s683183.htm

http://www.ninthday.com/spanish_flu.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol4no3/webster.htm

It'll emerge from the live chicken and bird markets in South East China and Hong Kong and quickly spread around the world. There is currently no vaccine available for this killer flu, as regular flu vax is made from chicken embryos, and the killer flu kills the chicken embyo so the vaccine can't be created.

Nature can create a far worse bio weapon than Saddam Hussein ever could, but you don't often hear anyone calling for the end of live chicken markets or high density poultry sheds.

You could try using Lightwave to animate the mutating virus as well. I suggest using Morph Mixer for this. Maybe we should hold a competition for the best doomsday animation!

I hope you all sleep well tonight.

hrgiger
09-10-2003, 08:31 PM
There is a meteor that has a decent chance of hitting us in I believe it's 2014. Not really enough time to do much about that one. Don't believe what you saw in Deep Impact or Armaggedon. If we only had a year or two to prepare, we might as well spend that time kissing our asses goodbye. There was a good story in this month's Popular science about NEO's (near earth objects).

What's even scarier is that an asteroid whizzed by earth in 2001 and we didn't see it until it had passed by. So much for spotting any incoming asteroids. A similar one hit Siberia back in 1908 and flattened several thousand square miles of forest. It wasn't a very big one.

But Beam is right, we're more likely to have an outbreak or epidemic of some kind then get hit by an asteroid of extinction level event size.

hrgiger
09-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
So, you just read this?
I mean was it the Sun, or the Times, or National Geographic, or even Scientific American? I mean something like that going to happen would be a major sensation right, yet you are the first one talk about it, how comes?
CU
Elmar

Was it the weekly world news? And if it was, any good stories about what BatBoy is up to this month?

Beamtracer
09-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
There is a meteor that has a decent chance of hitting us in I believe it's 2014.
I suggest you use texture displacement maps to create the shape of the killer asteroid for your animation. A particle simulation program could be used to depict the planet Earth in its final moments, exploding into tiny fragments.

Howzat
09-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
There is a meteor that has a decent chance of hitting us in I believe it's 2014.
lol the last I heard the chances were at 1 in 1 million at the moment and it was expected to get even slimmer after they took more readings. So yeah, don't get too worried!

Vincent Brumbac
09-10-2003, 11:09 PM
I read about this as well. It was in a science magazine. Maybe Popular Science. They have GPS trackers on the ground that track the up and down movement of the ground. Same thing happens to a volcano. The mantel (right word?) rises and lowers before it erupts. It has been written that if it should erupt it will be something like 100 times or was it 1000 times more powerful than Mt. St. Helens. I seriously doubt that it will erupt in my lifetime. But you never know what tommorow may bring.

Cheers

Vincent D. Brumback

WizCraker
09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
I think this http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/ site has something on the 2014 astroide theory.

lord
09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
What a cheery thought that was KillMe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I was having a wonderful day, thankfully your post has brought me back to earth.

Cheers.

Beamtracer
09-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by lord
your post has brought me back to earth.
Hey, Lord, we should have asked you. After all, you would know! ;)

retinajoy
09-11-2003, 01:48 AM
On reading the first post, I thought "The Sun" or "News of the World" sensationalism . However I found some sobering links on from what seem like reasonable sources about the Yellowstone Volcano.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/supervolcanoes.shtml
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/faqs.html
http://millennium-debate.org/ind3fe2.htm

Anyway. Why worry? Enjoy life. I'm up for a doomsday animation competition though.

DarkLight
09-11-2003, 02:11 AM
Not the most cheerful topic to start the day on. Still interesting though.

moth0027
09-11-2003, 03:18 AM
I was on holiday in Italy a couple weeks back and saw Mount Vesuvius. It's the largest volcano in Europe. In 79BC it erupted and killed almost 3,360 people and that was then! Today close to 3 million people could be potentially 'effected' by another eruption.

Can't believe I stood on the ba***rd.

Anyway how big is this Yellowstone Volcano in comparison? Anyone know?

Have a nice day.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 05:29 AM
This forum is getting worst and worst everyday, you are all a bunch of pathetic neurotic

retinajoy
09-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
This forum is getting worst and worst everyday, you are all a bunch of pathetic neurotic

Maybe we should increase our anti depresent pills. Naahh!

1. Model an asteroid by following this tutorial
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/specialfx/asteroid/index.html

2. Send it to earth and make it explode as in this tutorial
http://www.users.space.net.au/~phaedrus/tutorial.html

3. Finally you need that all important Shockwave by following this.
http://www.hi.is/~nonnib/3dtut12.htm

4. Finally repeatedly watch over and over again and put it on your own "The end is nigh" web site.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 05:54 AM
???

moth0027
09-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Hey, if you can't joke about the demise of the entire human race and pretty much all the living creatures on the planet (bar aracnid and other insects I imagine) what can you joke about?

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Hey retarded brain let me tell you something,

When I come on this forum I like to read and discuss about LightWave, graphics, animation, film.. you know the kind of subjects that are awaited when you join suck comminity.

Now if some peoples feel they need to talk about more general (or just different subjects) they still can use the general discussion forum tho it would be really better to looks for a more appropriated place on the net (there is plenty of them).

Now Newtek's forums are getting a lame place cause of all those non-related subjects, kids and other nerds like you who come to polluates this board.

If you can't understand a simple logic question I'm wondering what you can understand.

And to answer your last (stupid) remark I can joke about fun stuffs not "moronic" ones.

Have a nice day

moth0027
09-11-2003, 07:58 AM
retarded brain?

that's a little rude

i think you are taking things a little seriously.

Matt
09-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
Hey retarded brain let me tell you something, . . .

Now Newtek's forums are getting a lame place cause of all those non-related subjects, kids and other nerds like you who come to polluates this board.

:rolleyes: it's even lamer when people start attacking others!

KillMe
09-11-2003, 08:17 AM
well i apoligise for starting this topic but i cant see why all teh stushy about it - its clearly marked off topic and well i liek to be informed and when i read about it i thought others might liek to know too

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 08:21 AM
When I call someone retarde brain that's not supposed to be "a little" but very, totally, absolutly rude. And I'm taking this very seriously because I'm really pissed off when I see the amount of crap and unrelated posts on Newtek's board nowadays.

Just look at the amount of posts by peoples like Matt or HRGiger, 99% of 'em of childish uninteresting remarks that has nothing to deal with the forums.

Btw thx for stating the obvious Matt but if unicellular brain persons like you didn't hit this place so much I could keep calm and just chill out.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by KillMe
well i apoligise for starting this topic but i cant see why all teh stushy about it - its clearly marked off topic and well i liek to be informed and when i read about it i thought others might liek to know too

You know, I was just stating that there is (much, much) more appropriated place to post this, and if you really want to put on Newtek's board you could have, at least, posted it in the general discussion forum and not in a LW one. No matter how you name your topics when they are at the wrong place peoples will think the content belong to the section they are currently browsing, and they will be right.

Take 5 minutes and go browse some boards on the net, no matter if they are about politics, environment, ecology, music, custom car or nostradamus like prediction nobody there is talking about LightWave. Amazing isn't it?

LeMartialou
09-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Take it easy man! Keep your great energy to be pissed off by serious things. :rolleyes:

Peace.

moth0027
09-11-2003, 08:42 AM
This is crazy...

If you don't like posts like this why do you waste your time replying to all of them - especially if you are going to be rude to people you don't even know.

I work freelance - sometimes at home sometimes at a company. Every now and then when I'm at home, I like to stop thinking about work for a while (which is predominately Lightwave related stuff) and see what other people in the Lightwave community are doing and talking about. I'm sorry if the subjects are not always what you want to talk about but this world does not revolve around you.

A community is 'people with common interests living in a particular area' (or in this case in a discussion forum) so I suggest you stop being so rude and kindly let people discuss whatever their hearts desire.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Ah yeah you comes to Newtek's board because you are tired to think about LightWave and you want some kind of different discussion.. nice but don't blame if I think that's a really stupid way of thinking.

Personally I come here to talk about LightWave and sometimes Aura. And since I don't care much about general subjects I don't go to the general discussion board.

Call me a genius.

moth0027
09-11-2003, 09:28 AM
sorry...

I should have said:

I work freelance - sometimes at home sometimes at a company. Every now and then when I'm at home, I like to stop thinking about my work for a while ...

cresshead
09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
dear "kill me" [such a nice "handle" you have there!]..just where did you read all of this doom n gloom?

give me 3 independent links and i'll start to take this without a large lump of salt....or saltpeta!

steve g

hrgiger
09-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Oh, I see. It's not ok to post off topic stuff but it's ok to break in on other people's off topic stuff and post a lot of stupid argument about how they shouldn't be posting off topic stuff. Seems like that's a moderator's choice to decide what's OT and what's appropriate , not yours jb_gfx. The thread was clearly marked off topic and you didn't have to open it.

You're being rude, not to mention a complete idiot and your the reason these boards sometimes suck, not general off topic disucssion.

And You obviously haven't read 99% of my posts.

hrgiger
09-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
dear "kill me" [such a nice "handle" you have there!]..just where did you read all of this doom n gloom?

give me 3 independent links and i'll start to take this without a large lump of salt....or saltpeta!

steve g

Retinajoy already did:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizo...volcanoes.shtml
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/faqs.html
http://millennium-debate.org/ind3fe2.htm

cresshead
09-11-2003, 09:47 AM
yeah..but the bbc one was from 2000....so what [scus the punn] make this a hot topic today....

where's the "news"..as in today's news that say it's about to happen or has changed since 2000.......

did he just stumble over a 3yr old story n post it as a new news topic?

actually the bbc story was shown in feb 2000 that makes it about 5 years old due to the program being created and researched..if you bought the cans of food they would be almost rusted by now!

ahhh summer stories on t.v when there's "no NEW news" to write about...seen all summer...now we get 'em in september!

any "current" news links would be nice...and i may just stock up on cat food for my pets!

steve g

Chuck
09-11-2003, 10:00 AM
The topic does seem more appropriate for general discussions, so I've moved it here.

As a reminder, whenever you have issues with the appropriateness of a post ot thread on the forums, please report it to the moderation staff, rather than flaming about it on the thread. Thanks for your consideration!

wacom
09-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Yes this should have been put in the "General Discussion" forum but that doesn't excuse certain behavior...

I can't believe that people like "hrgiger" and Larry Shultz among others are getting attacked these days. Negative actions towards other community members are what is hurting the LW discussion groups- not clearly marked OT posts! Sure "hrgiger" has made a lot of posts, but many of them are truly helpful- and his explanations are often MUCH more explanatory than the posts by people like you "jb_gfx" (I looked through your post record). Plus "hrgiger" can give real critiques to things and not come off like some jerk- call it "genius", but most call it being thoughtful. I'm sorry to tell you "jb_gfx" that you are not a genius, but more likely the dork/nerd that you have accused others of being- seeing as you exhibit all of those behaviors yourself.

You obviously must work freelance if you are employed. I have nothing against freelance artists, it just seems that you could NEVER work well in a team- and you can't be smart enough for people to put up with your crap. I'm going to do a search and try to find your name- that way I can warn the FX people I know NOT to hire you or attain you for freelance. Nothing personal mind you- just professional.

Cheers!

PS thank you "jb_gfx" for your scripting and such- Jean Predery ([email protected])?:

http://www.presetcentral.com/profiles/JB

http://www.geocities.com/jb_gfx/

Matt
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
whatever!

:rolleyes:

KillMe
09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
ok so its not likely its going to blow up tomorrow but it jsut popped to the top of some news site and i commented on it - as for other sites colaborating it well those others sites doa good enough job for me - after all tis already 40,000 years late so it probally wont go in our lifetimes but who knows maybe it will tomorrow

jsut pointing out our world we all happily live in might not be as stable a we like to think

Miles
09-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Such events have happened before and they will happen again... The 3rd rock from The Sun IS alive! Sorry if this was mentioned before I haven't had time to read the entire thread.

KILLME, if this topic is of interest you should check out the documentary about Krakatoa (I think that's how it's spelled) call "Catastrophe!" from the PBS "Secrets of the Dead" series.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/

You'll note in the documentary the time line connection to how several 6th Century societies (large and small) all around the world reacted to and during the aftermath (If I remember correct more than 18 months of 24/7 ash filled atmosphere of darkness) often to their own demise due to religious superstitions about the end of the world... Imagine the fanatical take on such natural events when the planet will go through yet another of these horrible, yet natural events... Doing some homework will show you our planet has a history of such events. Thankfully, just not often enough for us to document them regularly. ;)

Miles
09-11-2003, 04:03 PM
:eek:

Beamtracer
09-11-2003, 09:41 PM
jb_gfx is obviously highly offended that people were discussing natural disasters in the Lightwave section of this forum.

It's turned out to be highly relevant to Lightwave users. How many people have made money by using Lightwave to simulate a natural disaster for film or television?

I know of asteroids, tsunamis, interplanetary collisions and volcanos that have been seen by a worldwide television audience, and all rendered using Lightwave.

What's wrong with this?

OK, the discussion started in a non-serious tongue-in-cheek manner, but in the end there was some very useful information gathered that could be used by all Lightwave users.

In particular, the tutorials that retinajoy listed on page 2 of this thread.

The Hypervoxel Asteriod:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/specialfx/asteroid/images/figure16.jpg

The interplanetary ParticleFX explosion:
http://www.users.space.net.au/~phaedrus/bang.jpg

The Lightwave atomic blast wave
http://www.hi.is/~nonnib/fig22.jpg

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by wacom
Yes this should have been put in the "General Discussion" forum but that doesn't excuse certain behavior...

I can't believe that people like "hrgiger" and Larry Shultz among others are getting attacked these days. Negative actions towards other community members are what is hurting the LW discussion groups- not clearly marked OT posts! Sure "hrgiger" has made a lot of posts, but many of them are truly helpful- and his explanations are often MUCH more explanatory than the posts by people like you "jb_gfx" (I looked through your post record). Plus "hrgiger" can give real critiques to things and not come off like some jerk- call it "genius", but most call it being thoughtful. I'm sorry to tell you "jb_gfx" that you are not a genius, but more likely the dork/nerd that you have accused others of being- seeing as you exhibit all of those behaviors yourself.

You obviously must work freelance if you are employed. I have nothing against freelance artists, it just seems that you could NEVER work well in a team- and you can't be smart enough for people to put up with your crap. I'm going to do a search and try to find your name- that way I can warn the FX people I know NOT to hire you or attain you for freelance. Nothing personal mind you- just professional.

Cheers!

PS thank you "jb_gfx" for your scripting and such- Jean Predery ([email protected])?:

http://www.presetcentral.com/profiles/JB

http://www.geocities.com/jb_gfx/

So you call me a Jerk because of my remarks among other peoples and you think you can judge me by presumption? Hahaha sorry but I can only laugh.

Btw if you want to post my name, at least show me some respect and try to spell it correctly: Jean-Baptiste Prédéry

I'm not looking for a job nor I'm a freelance artist. And if I'm (or not) employed by someone it is because of my skill and not because some clown like you will or will not ***** in my back.

PS: You are welcome for the scripts.

Beamtracer
09-11-2003, 10:53 PM
jb_gfx, you've done nothing but start flames and continue flames. I think it's time to cool down, relax and not worry about continuing these fights with other Lightwave users. It's non-productive.

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 10:54 PM
I know you are right BeamTracer

Beamtracer
09-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Try some of those tutorials mentioned earlier :)

sbrandt
09-11-2003, 11:22 PM
This excerpt from the U.S. Geological Survey regarding the Yellowstone bulging and topology shifts pretty much wraps it up. This thread should end here...

"The most likely type of eruption would not be volcanic but, rather, hydrothermal. This type of small, but still explosive eruption can occur from shallow reservoirs of steam or hot water rather than molten rock. These reservoirs are the sources of Yellowstone's famous geysers, hot springs, and fumaroles. Such explosions could blast out shallow craters more than a kilometer wide; as has occurred in the NORTHERN YELLOWSTONE LAKE BASIN, including Mary Bay and nearby Turbid Lake and Indian Pond, and in western Yellowstone National Park north of Old Faithful. Each of these craters was produced by STEAM BLASTS within the past few thousand years." :rolleyes:

colkai
09-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
So, you just read this?
CU
Elmar

Actually, there was a program on Discovery a while back about the supervolcano under Yellowstone. He's right, it is actually bulging the ground so much the lake is slipping.

To quote Dad's Army - "We're doomed - we're all going to die!" ;)

meshmaster
09-12-2003, 08:00 AM
so that we can all move to the moon? :)

sbrandt
09-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Actually, it said, "the lake basin is TIPPING...". One end of the lake has raised enough to place the waterline at the trees on the opposite shore.

The documentary focuses ONLY on the most alarming and sensational POSSIBITIES, NOT the PROBILITIES.

From the USGS (the United States Geological Survey), the PROBILITIES are:

"The MOST LIKELY type of eruption would not be volcanic but, rather, hydrothermal. This type of small, but still explosive eruption can occur from shallow reservoirs of steam or hot water rather than molten rock. These reservoirs are the sources of Yellowstone's famous geysers, hot springs, and fumaroles. Such explosions could blast out shallow craters more than a kilometer wide; as has occurred in the NORTHERN YELLOWSTONE LAKE BASIN, including Mary Bay and nearby Turbid Lake and Indian Pond, and in western Yellowstone National Park north of Old Faithful. Each of these craters was produced by STEAM BLASTS within the past few thousand years."

So when that bulge blows... and it will... it will make the lake basin larger and blow down a lot of trees for a few thousand yards around the blast.

colkai
09-12-2003, 12:47 PM
There are actually 3 possibilities, the larger the destruction, the lower the probability.
I figure, we could be hit by a NEO anyhoo, or on a more personal level, get wiped out by some nutter at the wheel of a car.
No point fretting over it, bugger all we could do about it anyway :p

So I say Wave while ya can folks! :D