PDA

View Full Version : animated cloud maps for globe?

monovich
04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Howdy all. I'm doing yet another project with a big fat Earth in it. The earth has moving plate tectonics, etc. I have a static cloud layer in there, but it looks pretty dumb when you see continents moving but the clouds stay still.

Has anyone got a lead on a place to get an animated cloud map?

I've found numerous cloud satellite sites, but most have grid/geography overlays, bad seams, etc etc. I need a map I can slap on and go.

the more resolution the better, but beggars can't be chosers!

many thanks.
-sf

wayne1 huffman
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Maybe this is too simplistic, but an animated turbulence procedural for bump or transparency?

eyelandarts
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
I seem to remember Dpont nodes having an excellent procedural for that

monovich
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
yeah thats what I ended up doing. I used the satellite map for basic shape then ran it through denis' weather procedural for some subtle turbulence. I think its going to work, but it isn't as cool as real swirling clouds.

thanks.
sf

wayne1 huffman
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
We had to do a weather map for the show "Saving Grace" and ended up realizing it's not as simple as it looks. I think we ended up using animated transparency maps. Deadline was looming, I never got farther than that on it... but my next step was going to be warping the cloud textures in Photoshop and blending between them.

monovich
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I noticed that a flat projection of a cloud map in motion looks a lot like a cross section of a modern fluid/smoke sim (check the other thread with that new plugin and you will see what I mean).

I wonder if you could simulate a not entirely accurate base shape of a cloud layer with a fluid sim app, then wrap it around a globe, then layer it up with some alphas in LW to get it to churn/boil while it animates.

thats beyond what I need for this project, but it might look cool.

here is where I'm landing with my render. Its not 100% science, its more hollywood, but thats okay. the animated procedural makes the clouds "evolve" a little so it looks okay.

-sf