PDA

View Full Version : Kerning

Paul6_3333
09-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Has anyone else experienced trouble kerning individual characters? Just started using VT3 last week and I have had no other trouble with CG. I have followed the instructions from VT3 manual (12.15). Maybe I am missing something.

bradl
09-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Kerning works fine you just have to know two secrets:

1. CG Module must be on it own desktop
2. ALT + LEFT (or RIGHT) ARROW

For more details here is a quote from cineman on the betaforums a while back.

I commented above in this thread about kerning not working but when Andrew and I finished working it out, I posted about how to kern on itís own thread, thinking that more people would see it faster.

First here is how to kern in VT[3] CG.

In CG place the cursor between the two characters that need to be kerned.

If separation is needed, press and hold Alt. Press the right arrow key as many times as needed to properly increase the space between the characters.

If less space is needed, while holding Alt, use the left arrow key.

I think most of our kerning issues have come from the skin mislabeled adjuster on the bottom Text tab. That has been labeled kerning when the actual process done by it is Tracking which is a different type print display adjustment.

Here is what I expect we will see in the next build/Gold Master. Kerning will be covered in the Keyboard Shortcuts pop-up for VT CG, as well as in the Manual. The label on the text tab will be Tracking instead of Kerning.

Paul6_3333
09-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the response, I was afraid no one knew what I was talking about.
I have already tried what you (and the manual) say to do for kerning, but the CG doesn't respond. Ever have this happen?

bradl
09-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Haven't tried it in a while, let me try right now...

works but definately does not work if VTEdit is on the same desktop, because ALT Arrow is a VTEdit command.

Try shutting everything down except CG. One other weird off chance item, look at the Layout tab and ensure you are truely on a text line, as sometimes it may appear you are but you are not. If none of this helps you may consider re-installing, but IMHO that rarely is the case...

Paul6_3333
09-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm not on right now, but I had VT-Edit on in the background each time...that must be it, because I could see flashes in the background. Thanks!

Paul Lara
09-17-2003, 08:06 AM
In VT[3], Alt-right/left arrow will kern individual letters.