PDA

View Full Version : Importing 3DM OpenNurbs to Lightwave?

starbase1
04-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Is there a practical way to get 3DM / Opennurbs files, as created by Rhino3d into Lightwave?

Given that it's an open format, and LW does nurbs I would not expect it to be that difficult, but I'm struggling to find a method.

I don't mind payioing to have a cionversion done, or for a reaonably priced utility, but buying a full package like Rhino iteself or Poltrans is not an option...

Nick

Matt
04-16-2010, 05:04 AM
LW doesn't do nurbs, but this program loads .3DM files, has good meshing options and has .OBJ export www.moi3d.com

I believe it was written by an ex-Rhino3D programmer.

starbase1
04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
LW doesn't do nurbs, but this program loads .3DM files, has good meshing options and has .OBJ export www.moi3d.com

Aha! And it comes with a 30 day trial too! Thanks for that...

And as an aside, I thought that what happened when I hit the tab key was nurbs?

Dodgy
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
That's called metanurbs, and is really a subdivision surface as it is now known. Back then no-one really knew what to call it, so it ended up being called metanurbs.

prometheus
04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
yeah no way to get real nurb formats from rhino or solids from solidworks yet.

I Use deep exploration to convert gym machines from solidworks and do some material merging renaming and then export it as obj format before bringing it in to lightwave.

Much easier to surface things than exporting through stl and trying to select connected parts and surface in lightwave.
and apart from that itīs also good to select different parts and correct or export selected parts exclusive.

I hope one day I should be able to import solids/nurbs directly for a more
effective memoryhandling, maybe something for lwcad in the future.

Michael

Matt
04-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Sorry I meant to say .LWO export!

starbase1
04-18-2010, 04:53 AM
MoI worked, and looks to have done a good job, albeit with an unavoidably high polygon count.

What did hurt was the way it produced over 1600 layers and 1600 surfaces! ouch! Enough to bring LW to a juggering halt.

Anyway, here's what I successfully got in...

starbase1
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
OK, I managed to import a Rhino file into lightwave.

The bad news is that it came in as over 1600 layers, each with it's own surface! I managed to copy them all into one layer, and apply the same surface to them, but I think there is something that still needs fixing.

The object saves out as 280 Megabytes, which does seem more than a bit excessive! I'm wondering if it is hanging onto all those surfaces and/or empty layers or something...

Anyone got any ideas? I don't need to preserve any surfaces or layers, just all the geometry in one...

Nick
:help:

Matt
04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Hit the 'End' key in LightWave, creates a new object with all the layers collapsed, then I'd do a merge points.

accom
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Whats the poly count? Any geometry duplicating? Still, doesn't seem to be possible to get to 280MB... :(

archijam
04-18-2010, 01:42 PM
There is a modo plugin for importing 3DM files - perhaps someone (me included) could do a comparison test for you?

Matt
04-18-2010, 02:11 PM
There is a modo plugin for importing 3DM files - perhaps someone (me included) could do a comparison test for you?

Totally forgot about that! Might give that a go as I'm doing pretty much the same exercise Nick is but with a tram model!

Edit: Meh, the .3DM file has to be meshed for it to work, what's the point, Rhino can save out as LightWave .LWO which Modo can import anyway, kinda a pointless translator IMO.

starbase1
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Archjam, thanks for the offer, but I think I have what I need now. As you can see from the pictures, it seems to have held on to the details nicely.

I did some experiments with the file, including copy and paste. In the end I exported it as an OBJ, then imported it again, and it came in a LOT smaller after that! I guess it was hanging on to empty layers or unused textures or something...

Matt, I decided not to do a merge points, at the moment the parts are all seperate, (i think they started as separate layers), so I am expecting that keepiong them separate will make things a lot easy when selecting for the texturing stage.

Thanks again to all for the input!
Nick