PDA

View Full Version : CORE - How much $$$?

cgisoul
04-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I know it says $895 for LW, but will I also get CORE and the Hardcore membership with it? Access to the beta CORE test and all the whistle and bells? :hey:

Thank you.

biliousfrog
04-15-2010, 10:19 AM
yes, as far as I'm aware

hrgiger
04-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes. http://shop.newtek.com/lightwavev9fullwithpdfmanuals.aspx Also, you're a Modo user, you might want to check to see if Newtek offers any kind of competitive discount. They might not, but it never hurts to check.

Matt
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
One miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillion dollars!

hrgiger
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM

damn. Now I wished I had kept my Dr. Evil avatar.

OnlineRender
04-15-2010, 11:09 AM

No make it one miiiiiiiiiiiiiiilion miillllllllllllllllllion dollards , yaz that'sa keeper

cgisoul
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
lol Matt.

hrgiger, yes I'm selling my license modo 401. Waiting for buyers to knock my door mduque at live dot com if you know any taker? I want to help to suppor CORE instead even not being a full app I know.

Snosrap
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
lol Matt.

hrgiger, yes I'm selling my license modo 401. Waiting for buyers to knock my door mduque at live dot com if you know any taker? I want to help to suppor CORE instead even not being a full app I know.

Wow! thats surprising. I'm not sure if Luxology allows transfers of licenses, that is one thing I like about the dongle on LW. I'm not sure if I'd ever sell my license of modo 401. Also not so sure I'll ever upgrade it again. Core is moving along alot faster in it's development IMO and modo is becoming a mess!

hrgiger
04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow! thats surprising. I'm not sure if Luxology allows transfers of licenses, that is one thing I like about the dongle on LW. I'm not sure if I'd ever sell my license of modo 401. Also not so sure I'll ever upgrade it again. Core is moving along alot faster in it's development IMO and modo is becoming a mess!

Luxology just recently started letting people sell their licenses. Of course, it costs $100.:cursin:

I wouldn't say Modo's a mess at all. I'm sure they'll have some nice additions to Modo 501 and if they offer a good character animation toolset with fast and powerful features, I'll upgrade again. But once CORE has them, Modo's going to have to do something pretty special to keep me coming back.

cgisoul
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Yes, you can for a $100 as hrgiger mentioned already.
Modo is indeed becoming a big mess and the tools just seams to be everywhere. I just don't get the organized feel of it anymore and plus, I don't like modeling in modo at all. Therefore, I would much rather start to support a new program and help to shape it if possible. been there for the last 5 years and despite mine and many efforts, Lux seams to do just what they want and towards Archiviz.
I understand that CORE is not a complete full app and doesn't have the nice modo render (yet), but again, it's an investment and risk I'm willing to take.
Cheers m8.

Bloody Hell... No Way! XD

Nicolas Jordan
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Therefore, I would much rather start to support a new program and help to shape it if possible. been there for the last 5 years and despite mine and many efforts, Lux seams to do just what they want and towards Archiviz.

Are you saying that you think modo is being geared more towards the Archviz users with the addition of a few Archviz friendly tools?

cgisoul
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Are you saying that you think modo is being geared more towards the Archviz users with the addition of a few Archviz friendly tools?
No, that's not what I said. My main interest is pure organic (Creatures, Characters work). I'm sure Archiviz users will find modo great for their work.

Nicolas Jordan
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
No, that's not what I said. My main interest is pure organic (Creatures, Characters work). I'm sure Archiviz users will find modo great for their work.

Well if your into organic modeling you should check out Tarons' Gnomon video if you haven't already. He uses very select few powerful tools to do his modeling in Lightwave. The videos are a bit pricey but if your really into organic modeling they might be worth the price. http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/339/The-Secrets-of-Organic-Modeling

cgisoul
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Well if your into organic modeling you should check out Tarons' Gnomon video if you haven't already. He uses very select few powerful tools to do his modeling in Lightwave. The videos are a bit pricey but if your really into organic modeling they might be worth the price. http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/339/The-Secrets-of-Organic-Modeling
Thank you Nicolas, I actually bought it few years ago as for reference. Nice work from Taron.

prometheus
04-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes, you can for a $100 as hrgiger mentioned already.
Modo is indeed becoming a big mess and the tools just seams to be everywhere. I just don't get the organized feel of it anymore and plus, I don't like modeling in modo at all.

hard to get the grip on main structure and how tools are organized in modo is
one of the reasons I havenīt bought it yet

thereīs a lot of item list,properties,item tab etc..to many of them in a
confusing order, the surfacing shader list just feels wrong aswell, and Iīm a little afraid that this also might show up for lightwave core too.

There are some good stuff in modos workflow UI still, but mostly confusing.

Michael

Nemoid
04-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Having seen a bit the CORE UI i can find how it is quite well projected since the start. the use of text as in old lw and xsi allows for more order than icons used a la Modo and more importantly gives more screen place to the user. :thumbsup:
Also if they do create nice layous for different areas this could become a big thumb up.
Problems from UI POV, may chime in when other areas are added, like the ones for CA, Dynamics, etc. Actually 3D is complex, and there are areas compenetrating (for example: mesh edit for animation)so not easy to develop an always clean UI.

a good method IMO is actually exploiting the viewport and RMB menus, pie menus and thngs like that, to allow the user to stay onto the object /scene as more as possible,rather than onto the UI.

another concept could be having some kind of automation.

Allow the user to work with the tools and the app to actually deal with modifier, nodes... then the user can edit those further to refine, exploit their flexibility.

BTW, even in Modo you can create your own layouts.

Lux should streamline them better when they add new features. They also should add lots of things...nodes everywhere, modifiers, too, even if its difficult (but not impossible) to provide a fast workflow, and the same will be valid for CORE.

In this moment, what i find is that NT made alot of good fundamental choices regarding CORE, related to how to layout a complete app, with the most important areas covered since the start, even if they will be quite poor at the start, they will be able to build over them with time as it happened with XSI.
This is a good thing, because you know where the app is heading since the start, and even developing it, you have the overall vision of its architecture and structure.

In the Modo case, they add chunks of new stuff to it but they seem not to have a planned final goal.

p.s. i would also add that CORE could reveal to be a good app also for archiviz, thanks to tools like LWCAD and its rendering.

The most important thing i would work and that are weak Lw points are:

1) tight connection with Adobe apps like Photoshop, AE, and in general with external apps for editing/compositing
2) CA area one of the weakest LW points that has to be worked with great love for CORE.

cgisoul
04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Nemoid,

Yes I agree. And hopefully soon I will be joining CORE, despite not being a full program yet. I don't go with high expectations at all, but I do love the idea of growing with it.