PDA

View Full Version : Derform and stretch a sheet..

3djock
04-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I'am working on and animation where a straight sheet is stretched into a curved form and I was wondering what is the best way to do this.. I have tried a morph using spline guide but I cannot seem to get it to work well.

here is how it works, a sheet is stretched over a die.

1. It starts out as a flat sheet

2. Then jaws form a curve

3. A die comes up from the bottom to stretch the sheet over the die to form the sheet. there is no indentation just a form.

What is a good way of doing this? I tried clothfx as well but did not get anywhere..

Here is the object file with the morphs..

liquidpope
04-15-2010, 02:52 PM
You're on the right track with the morphs. That's how I'd do it.
Probably you'll only need 2 morphs; one for the initial lateral curve and a second for the stretch from the die.
I'd suggest using far less polys for the sheet, like 8x12, and sub-d.

UnCommonGrafx
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I concur and would add: a sequence of morphs that would represent a similar sequence of events of the jaws grabbing, the molder pushing, the final piece and a few in-betweens.

liquidpope
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Is it just me, or does that machine look extremely over engineered?
Seems like a fairly simple shape that could be much more easily produced.

Also, the guy standing at the front is waaaaaay to close.
He's inside the freakin' thing! **** that!

UnCommonGrafx
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Depends on what the companies needs are.
To me, looks like they are bending some REALLY thick metal. And for as smooth as they seem to desire the size seems appropriate.
I bet that machine has a bit of future-proof built into it.

3djock
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Is it just me, or does that machine look extremely over engineered?
Seems like a fairly simple shape that could be much more easily produced.

Also, the guy standing at the front is waaaaaay to close.
He's inside the freakin' thing! **** that!

Actually what is it does it stretches the metal over the form, what you see there is a Cesna body part being formed. The machine sets on 40 feet of concrete so it is a monster.

See those red buttons along the jaw line, those are so he can stop the machine in case he is in a bind.. No pun intended..HEHE

3djock
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Depends on what the companies needs are.
To me, looks like they are bending some REALLY thick metal. And for as smooth as they seem to desire the size seems appropriate.
I bet that machine has a bit of future-proof built into it.

Yep you are right on it actually saves time and money... Thanks there guys for suggestions.