PDA

View Full Version : Create Hypervoxel particles of different size

AmigaNewTek
04-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Hello everyone,

i'm trying to create an asteroid field. I've created some asteroids in modeler using the spray tools (in 4 layers), then moved to layout and applied the hypervoxel to objects. I tried several settings but each asteroid are all similar. How can i change the size, form and the movement of each asteroid?

Thank you very much
Best regards

AmigaNewTek
04-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Anyone?

UnCommonGrafx
04-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Have you looked in the hypervoxel panel? Is "size variation" not what you want?
It's right there under the field where you determine the size of the hypervoxels.

prometheus
04-16-2010, 05:43 AM
In case your lost..

Ps.. you can also use the texture button T for giving size variations with procedurals.
Michael

AmigaNewTek
04-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you for the reply.

I saw the size variation option and used it. Maybe i gave not a good description of the problem on the post #1. The size variation let me create different size asteroids, but those rocks look like the same. Moreover i want to control (even randomly) the rotation and the speed of each rocks. It is possible to do this?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

shrox
04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Try world coordinates. You'll have to readjust the surface though.

AmigaNewTek
04-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Thank you for this information.
I will try this option.

AmigaNewTek
04-27-2010, 03:58 AM
In case your lost..

Ps.. you can also use the texture button T for giving size variations with procedurals.
Michael

I don't know all the Lightwave features. Can you give me, please an example of this?

However, i still unable to move, rotate the particle indipendently.

prometheus
04-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Here you go..just a sample emitter with changed hypervoxel particle size by
procedurals, check particle size "T" button as shown in image in earlier post.

9.6 scene.

Michael

AmigaNewTek
04-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Thank you for the file.

Btw i don't have emitter in my scene.
I created the asteroids in layout with the spray tool, then i applied the hypervoxel to the asteroids layer. In this way i cannot control the rotation or the movement of each single asteroid, but i have to move or rotate the entire layer. Moreover, the asteroids look like the same, like a multitude of twins. Yes, i can have different size asteroids, but they look like all the same.

prometheus
04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Thank you for the file.

Btw i don't have emitter in my scene.
I created the asteroids in layout with the spray tool, then i applied the hypervoxel to the asteroids layer. In this way i cannot control the rotation or the movement of each single asteroid, but i have to move or rotate the entire layer. Moreover, the asteroids look like the same, like a multitude of twins. Yes, i can have different size asteroids, but they look like all the same.

divide or spray some other points on a couple of more layers perhaps, and
change the hv look on those.

It might be possible somewhere to get different looks by using nodes perhaps, not sure.

Michael

4dartist
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Here is what I would do.. I would create in modeler:

Very unique asteroid 1
Very unique asteroid 2
Very common asteroid 1
Very common asteroid 2
Spray points layer 1
Spray points layer 2

In layout, select your Spray points layer 1, go to Utilities>Additional>FXLinker. Attach one of the common astroids to it. Here you can put in the random rotation and speeds and scales. Then go to the graph editor and tweak how you want. Do the same for the 2nd common asteroid and spray layer. Now you have a basic looking asteroid field. THEN take the very unique astroids and place them in your scene so you can see them, these will help sell the idea they are all unique.

AmigaNewTek
04-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Thank you, i will try.

I thought that was possible to intervene on hypervoxel object to give them scale, rotation and xyz proprerty.

medicalart
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Have you looked in the hypervoxel panel? Is "size variation" not what you want?
It's right there under the field where you determine the size of the hypervoxels.

Enter the percent variation you want.

Also, you might try varying the points on the model of each asteroid, or varying the size of the models.

AmigaNewTek
04-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Enter the percent variation you want.

Also, you might try varying the points on the model of each asteroid, or varying the size of the models.

The variation option works quite well, unless you use too high values. In that case the closest particles seems to glue each other.

The problem is that the particles (the meteor) seems similar. Moreover, i can't find a way to animate the particles independently.

AmigaNewTek
04-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Just found another thread about the very same argument two years ago.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=740606&postcount=13
3DGFXStudios used HDInstance to animate the meteor. Look at the movie he posted.

prometheus
04-30-2010, 02:49 AM
The variation option works quite well, unless you use too high values. In that case the closest particles seems to glue each other.

The problem is that the particles (the meteor) seems similar. Moreover, i can't find a way to animate the particles independently.

some simple independent particle control over single particles can be done, by using the edit fx tab in the fx_emitter, select particles by node, or click
on a particle to edit-delete,move,rotate.

Michael

AmigaNewTek
05-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Really? Going to try.

Thank you.

AmigaNewTek
05-03-2010, 03:05 AM
some simple independent particle control over single particles can be done, by using the edit fx tab in the fx_emitter, select particles by node, or click
on a particle to edit-delete,move,rotate.

Michael

I have created some points using the spray tool in modeller. IN the layout i turned on the hypervoxel loading some rocks preset to create asteroids. I don't use any emmiter to create asteroids. If i include an emitter in the asteroids layer, the asteroids hypervoxel object disappear. I'n not able to select a single hypervoxel object by clicking on it.

Mr Rid
05-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Set the voxels Blending Mode to 'none' to prevent voxels from growing together.

You might also apply voxels to an emitter which allows random 'spin' for each particle. Make an emitter size big enough for your scene. Set the particle birth rate to a very high value (depends on how many particles you are using) so that all particles are born on the first frame. Then, under the emitter Rotation tab, select Random Rotation&Scale, and click the button below it for random rotation, scale and spin options. Spin makes them tumble. Rotation sets particles to start out at random angles.

Then under the voxels Geometry tab, check the 'Use Particle Orientation' option. Check the 'Use Particle Scale' option also if you have set random scale values.

The particle spread can be controlled with a birth rate texture, and after saving particle motion, individual particles may be edited.

prometheus
05-03-2010, 03:17 AM
I have created some points using the spray tool in modeller. IN the layout i turned on the hypervoxel loading some rocks preset to create asteroids. I don't use any emmiter to create asteroids. If i include an emitter in the asteroids layer, the asteroids hypervoxel object disappear. I'n not able to select a single hypervoxel object by clicking on it.

I donīt quite follow why you need to use sprayed points for this.
Maybe you should try and create an equal particle cluster field instead, then
you can use the options I mentioned.

But if you still want to use spray point, you can go to properties for that
point cluster and under dynamics tab, add softFX, then calculate..that will
read the point data, and you can then in the softFx tab go to edit fx and
move around some points almost as mentioned with particles.

Another way might be to use a lot of nulls..but it would take some time
and work to handle a lot of them, maybe use a point to null script that exists, donīt remember where it is thou.
you can then acivate each single null and apply specific hypertexture for each one of them.

Michael

prometheus
05-03-2010, 03:25 AM
uhhmm. change of mind, you might not want to use the softfx and read point data to move
around, Im not quite sure itīs that easy to move them around with animation.

Michael

prometheus
05-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Well..better to add hard fx to the point cluster and calculate, that will
also scan the point, and you can edit in editfx..
when selecting node edit or point directly, make sure to check the fix
buttons for start edit and end edit..that way you can move single points in time, set them within your animation range.

Michael

AmigaNewTek
05-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I donīt quite follow why you need to use sprayed points for this.
Maybe you should try and create an equal particle cluster field instead, then
you can use the options I mentioned.

But if you still want to use spray point, you can go to properties for that
point cluster and under dynamics tab, add softFX, then calculate..that will
read the point data, and you can then in the softFx tab go to edit fx and
move around some points almost as mentioned with particles.

Another way might be to use a lot of nulls..but it would take some time
and work to handle a lot of them, maybe use a point to null script that exists, donīt remember where it is thou.
you can then acivate each single null and apply specific hypertexture for each one of them.

Michael

Thank you for the reply.

I used the spray tool cause i saw a tutorial on how to create an asteroids field somewhere. With the spray tool you can put asteroids randomly to make them look more realistic.
Btw, the suggestion i found in this very forum (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=740606&postcount=13) in another post i started (sorry) seems interesting. I should end up using plugin for instances, like hdinstance. I will put the result online.

Thank you all