PDA

View Full Version : buying 2nd hand LW 9x...

GCastro
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
If i buy a 2nd hand copy of lw 9x, I am assuming i'd have to pay an upgrade fee to get into core? Or might newtek grant me access? If there is a fee, anyone know what it would be?

Thanks,
George

hrgiger
04-14-2010, 08:24 PM
If you buy it second hand, I'm about 99% sure you would not be eligible for CORE upgrade. However, owning a copy of LW9 would allow you to buy a CORE membership which includes the resulting upgrade for $495. But you'll have to check with Newtek to be sure. I would shoot them an email.

Snosrap
04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Make sure you get the dongle!:)

OnlineRender
04-15-2010, 01:44 AM
make sure you get the dongle and the original owner to pass there/your details over to NT .

GCastro
04-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Got more info. Seems this copy of lw 9x is new and was never registered. I wonder if that would warrant it to allow for core beta access. If it seems i'm trying to save a few bucks, well i am. heh. I've emailed newtek to see what they say. Thanks for the advice. There have been a few sellers trying to sell without a dongle.

-George

GCastro
04-15-2010, 04:45 PM
In case anyone has a similar question, I got a response back from newtek and you would still need to pay the upgrade to get into core when buying lw 9x from a 3rd party that is not an authorized dealer. Makes sense, just wanted to be sure.

-GC

borkus
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
It's pretty obvious, but it still bares mentioning in this topic that if you are buying second-hand, do your homework first which GCastro has done. Make sure you read all the license agreements. Not just for Lightwave, but for anything. I got bit in the *** buying Photoshop once on Ebay. Never going down that road again...