PDA

View Full Version : Mission Style Architecture

lynxlab
09-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Hello,
I am trying to model a building which has mission style architecture, and I am having some troubles (I am very new to lightwave). Most notably, what is a good way to make the roof look good without adding an enormous number of polygons. It has the standard interlocking layers of red curved tiles. I thought of trying to model one tile and then replicate it across the roof, but this seems like it would make a huge number of polygons. Also, the tiles are not uniformly colored. Some are brick red while others are much darker almost black. What is a good way to apply a variation in the texture across many thousands of objects? Getting the stucco walls right is proving challenging as well. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Glenn

Wade
09-10-2003, 05:58 PM
lynxlab,

Bump maps work very well for stucko and tile. If you are getting really close you may want to model a small section for the close up.

Here is an old image with some tile and stucko maybe much cleaner and uninform than what you are looking for, but you would just need to add a few more texture layers.

Ade
04-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Wade how did u do that terrific stucco texturing?

Wade
04-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Ade,

Shoot an e-mail my way and I will send the surface to you if I can dig it up. If not well I think I used two or three procedural textures like smoke … in the bump settings…just played for awhile until it looked like it should. Might post it later as I will have to dig some to find that project.

Wade

Wade
04-21-2004, 04:17 PM
That was it.

Exper
04-22-2004, 02:26 AM
I found Shades's free Stucco3D shader useful...
good results and highly configurable!

Shades Project
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/shades/index.html