PDA

View Full Version : Occlusion avoidance ideas!?!?

rdrdrd23
04-14-2010, 03:11 AM
guys.... does anyone know of a way to make objects (or surfaces!!??) NOT take part in occlusions? For example, I've got some sprites/face-me's/billboards/decals that I'd like to use in a scene, but they sit above something I'd like otherwise to receive occlusion (think, grass tuft sprites on the ground!). Ideally I'd like to keep the occlusion on the ground, but have those objects set to somehow not take part in the occlusion process.

At the moment, I can only think of rendering it twice and doing a bit in photoshop, but given that the scene will end up fairly complex and need a lot of work anyway, I don't want to double my work in lots of touching up.

any thoughts?

Sensei
04-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Object is seen from camera, but not seen by Ambient Occlusion node/shader if it has toggled Unseen by Rays in Object's Properties.
Also, you can make complex node setup, which is analyzing context, and using 100% or 0% Transparency, depending on wanted by you triggers.

rdrdrd23
04-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey Sensei, thanks for that.

Simple but elegant, and one feels like a neanderthal for not thinking of it in the first place! :thumbsup: