PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Sneak Peek for Post Production

MentalFish
04-12-2010, 10:26 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/10885521

Time to also let this cat out of the bag... Keystone is not just a solution for Unity to read LightWave file formats, it is a workflow philosophy, completely file type and application agnostic.

In this sneak peak I am showcasing some post production aspects of Keystone. Here it is used as a tool to quickly and easily transfer 3D geometry and animation into compositing applications After Effects and Nuke.

In essence it will be an integrated pre- and post-production solution to communicate with apps such as Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Avid and so on to recieve animatics, storyboards and rough cuts. Then send that over to LW for the rendering of these sequences with the same FPS, camera settings and camera cut lengths.

After that you have an easy camera and object transfer to compositing apps such as After Effects, Nuke, Fusion and Combustion, to use as 3D masks and any other use you would have for such elements at the comp stage.

Once the 3D is rendered and the comps have been finalized, its a matter of replacing the animatics and you're good to go.

geo_n
04-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Cool! Finally we're catching up to c4d in terms of 3d->comp integration.
I think manual update is fine as an option. Sometimes with automatic stuff you don't know that you accidentally updated something :D

GCastro
04-13-2010, 12:55 AM
That was pretty cool Mentalfish. Defintely a tool i'd use if i make the jump to lw. Looks very interesting.

-George

MentalFish
04-13-2010, 02:17 AM
That was pretty cool Mentalfish. Defintely a tool i'd use if i make the jump to lw. Looks very interesting.

-George

Cool, good to hear. What tools are you working with now, or what others you are considering?

Cageman
04-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Finaly someone is taking the steps to make dataflow between LW and compositing apps alot more streamlined.

Looking forward to more news and demos!

:thumbsup:

Matt
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Finaly someone is taking the steps to make dataflow between LW and compositing apps alot more streamlined.

Looking forward to more news and demos!

:thumbsup:

Absolutely, I'm wondering though, maybe we should compile a list of the parameters in the SDK that needs exposing (and to LScript too) to aid writing this stuff?

Nice work though Petter! (Love the accent too!) :D

Tzan
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool.

Not to be a total jerk but... I dont do video work. Just game stuff. :)
Are there any thoughts on selling it and a price?
I really dont need the price jacked up for the video stuff since I'll never use it. This seems like 2 different products to me.

I could really use the LW->Unity tool in May. I'm probably quitting my job for 4 months to work on a game.

I really do appreciate the hard work being done here.

MentalFish
04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice work though Petter! (Love the accent too!) :D

Accent? What accent? :D

In terms of SDK, we don't need more exposure to play nice with others. Since the LWS format is like a textual instruction format, its pretty nice for cross app transfer of scenes, master scene files, shots scene files, and so om.

Tzan, right now I am getting a hand on this section by Alexx (http://earthwormjim.free.fr/) while Rommany is working full steam ahead on Unity still, so don't worry, this doesn't affect any progress on the LW<->Unity aspect of it.

I'll get back to you on price.

Tzan
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Great! Thanks for the explanation.

GCastro
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool, good to hear. What tools are you working with now, or what others you are considering?

I currently use maya and after effects. Looking to get into Nuke and lw core. I assume you'll have something that will work in core as well?

This really is a pretty neat tool. I've only tried to get camera data from maya to ae once and it was a pain. A button click (or even a few) to get data to and from 3d/2d apps is pretty darn sweet. Keep up the great work.

-George

Matt
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Accent? What accent? :D

You say 'City' just like Bjork!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y

Ahhhhh bless! :D

Cageman
04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
The idea behind Keystone is simply brilliant, if I may say so. Catering for both game and film/vfx needs is really awesome.

I can totaly see a workflow where LW-data is sent to Unity to create a realtime asset (a scene, a mockup whatever), rendered out in realtime to an image sequence, then sending LW-data over to AE, Nuke or Fusion to do pre-comp ontop of the rendered output from Unity.

:)

Matt
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
The idea behind Keystone is simply brilliant, if I may say so. Catering for both game and film/vfx needs is really awesome.

I can totaly see a workflow where LW-data is sent to Unity to create a realtime asset (a scene, a mockup whatever), rendered out in realtime to an image sequence, then sending LW-data over to AE, Nuke or Fusion to do pre-comp ontop of the rendered output from Unity.

:)

Yup! What he said!

MentalFish
04-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I currently use maya and after effects. Looking to get into Nuke and lw core. I assume you'll have something that will work in core as well?

This really is a pretty neat tool. I've only tried to get camera data from maya to ae once and it was a pain. A button click (or even a few) to get data to and from 3d/2d apps is pretty darn sweet. Keep up the great work.

-George

I was in the hardcore membership program, but CORE never ran on my Mac Pro so I got a refund and bought some plugins such as HD Instance and IFW2 to add features to my toolbox. Thanks for a no fuzz refund NT!

I'll get back to CORE once it is released and I have it running on my Mac Pro so I can write a Python version of this solution.

And for that insult, you are now my mortal enemy for life! :D I have previously suggested you apply for a job as a cross dresser, so comments on my accent is totally fair game :thumbsup:

If only my accent was as cool as the Icelandic one :) All the original/native developers of EVE sound like that too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6E4dDDUF90

I sound like a mutt, a west coast Norwegian accent, diluted by studying in England 2 years and married to a Canadian 4 years. Its a challenge for us Norwegians to not pronounce the letter i as the letter e, so when we see the word iMac or item, it quickly becomes eMac and eetem, as that's how we pronounce i :D

Matt
04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
And for that insult, you are now my mortal enemy for life! :D I have previously suggested you apply for a job as a cross dresser, so comments on my accent is totally fair game :thumbsup:

If only my accent was as cool as the Icelandic one :) All the original/native developers of EVE sound like that too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6E4dDDUF90

I sound like a mutt, a west coast Norwegian accent, diluted by studying in England 2 years and married to a Canadian 4 years. Its a challenge for us Norwegians to not pronounce the letter i as the letter e, so when we see the word iMac or item, it quickly becomes eMac and eetem, as that's how we pronounce i :D

What's interesting is that accent sounds a little like Welsh!

adk
04-13-2010, 07:34 PM
... this is looking even more interesting & awesome than I first thought :thumbsup: kudos to all involved & I'm really looking forward to when we actually get a chance to play with this.

JMCarrigan
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Geez Matt, I've been watching Bjork for an hour before I could break away. :)

GCastro
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I was in the hardcore membership program, but CORE never ran on my Mac Pro so I got a refund and bought some plugins such as HD Instance and IFW2 to add features to my toolbox. Thanks for a no fuzz refund NT!

Was this an isolated incident that it didn't run on your mac?

-George

MentalFish
04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
It was some weird curse on my Mac Pro ( early 2008 model ) that made it constantly not start CORE. I seemed to be the only user that had this problem, so it must have been a cosmic curse :) If you come from the Maya world and want to to have a no fuzz modeling and render solution, just take the plunge into LW classic ( 9.6 ) and get the HC membership as a part of the deal. Don't sit and wait for CORE to replace Maya or LW, as that will take some time. If you need or want that hammer in the store, just get it :)

GraphXs
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
WOW! Nice!

Andrewstopheles
04-20-2010, 07:14 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm