PDA

View Full Version : Where are Presets and Plugins in 9.6x?

sami
04-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi again,

As you can tell from my last post, I've been struggling to see how to install a clean, brand new install of LW 9.61 and now have more problems.

I am loading sample content scenes to see if my new LW install is ok, and I'm getting plugins not found and yes, I Scan Folder'ed my Plugins folder.

I've installed the 64bit LW. Does this mean that many FACTORY plugins such as CelShader, SasLite etc are not 64bit and therefore much of the content included with LW will plainly not work? If so this is ridiculous. I would understand if some obscure 3rd party one wasnt updated to 64bit, but surely all the LW shipping plugins should be 64bit too by now?

If I have this all wrong, can some one please correct me and let me know how/where I can fix this?

Also, where the heck are all the Surface and Hypervoxel presets that used to be included?? My presets panel is bare. Thanks for any and all assistance. :)

sam

Kuzey
04-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi again,

I've installed the 64bit LW. Does this mean that many FACTORY plugins such as CelShader, SasLite etc are not 64bit and therefore much of the content included with LW will plainly not work? If so this is ridiculous. I would understand if some obscure 3rd party one wasnt updated to 64bit, but surely all the LW shipping plugins should be 64bit too by now?

If I have this all wrong, can some one please correct me and let me know how/where I can fix this?

sam

I'm not sure about celshader, but 3rd party plugins are not Newtek issues..even if they are bundled in with the software.

I do believe you can install both 64 & 32 bit versions of lightwave on the same machine.

Kuzey

sami
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I totally disagree. Anything bundled with the software and on the register.newtek.com my downloads section inside the lightwave installer should most definitely work and be tested to work.

It's stupid to release content that doesn't work with your product unless it's clearly marked - like maybe a 32bit content only folder?

Anything we've come to rely on as a core feature of LightWave that has been in the installer for years should work unless clearly deprecated and a replacement provided. (I don't think this applies to LW Core as that is a new product though).

And besides, other apps like Sonar have bitbridge and things like that which allow the majority of plugins of 32bit plugins to work within their 64bit host application no problem. This is not rocket science and should be a part of the roadmap. You can't tell me all of a sudden that "Nope, sorry no celshading allowed in 64bit - wait for the (now nonexistent/anemic) LW 3rd party market to fill the void of the plugin you've been using for years we've bundled with our product."

Well, I suppose you can tell me that, but I won't have to like it. :grumpy:

:)

sami
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Also, where are the LightWave presets in 9.6.x?? how come they don't show up any more? What do I need to do to get them back in this new clean install?

thanks....

EmperorPete
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I do believe you can install both 64 & 32 bit versions of lightwave on the same machine.
You can indeed; I have both 9.6 32-bit and 64-bit installed and working fine together.
While I agree that it's a bit off that some plugins aren't there for the 64-bit release, and while I do feel your frustration, to be honest I'd aim your anger at the developers of the plugins rather than at Newtek. Newtek concentrate on getting us a 64 bit version of their software; do you honestly expect them to do 64 bit versions of other people's/companies' plugins as well...?

sami
04-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the reply and I'm not angry - though I may admit to some frustration at the mere lack of communication from Newtek about the status of their own mature product that's all.