PDA

View Full Version : Main Concept 1.4 Encoder

Norman
09-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Today, Main Concept announced an upgrade to their encoder to version 1.4 that has a lot of new improvements. I was just wondering if this upgrade will be included with a later version of VT3, or if we can just download the upgrade and update the encoder that is currently included with VT3? :confused:

ScorpioProd
09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
You're confusing MPEG with DV.

Norman
09-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Eugene,

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I should read more carefully from now on.

tlively
09-17-2003, 06:57 PM
However, they also upgraded their DV encoder. The new DV encoder works seemlessly from within the Toaster options.

The MPEG encoder wants to see 720 x 480 avis to make NTSC compatible DVD mpegs. The AVI wrapper puts out 720 x 486 Tsha!

The MPEG encoder makes good use of Hyperthreading enabled processors but still works well on Dual Athlons. Dual pass option for max quality.

ssorrentino
09-25-2003, 01:14 AM
related question. What is the mgeg encoder you are refering to and does it encode to mpeg directly from RTV files. And where can i get this mpeg encoder. Thanks for any help

Sam

tlively
09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ssorrentino
related question. What is the mgeg encoder you are refering to and does it encode to mpeg directly from RTV files. And where can i get this mpeg encoder. Thanks for any help

Sam

http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_encoder.shtml

Most people are using something called Tsunami to get to MPEG. I looked at it for about 10 seconds and decided to go another way. It's a 2 step process I use Mainconcept's DV encoder to get to AVI and then the Mpeg encoder to get to Mpeg 2 suitable for DVD. I'm sure this will generate a lot of traffic from people who, for whatever reason, like Tsunami. To each his own!

ScorpioProd
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Whatever encoder people choose is their choice. I'm sure more than one can give good results. :)

Thing is, you wouldn't have that 486 line versus 480 line problem with TMPGEnc. (Since you don't use the AVI wrapper for it.)

ssorrentino
09-25-2003, 09:34 PM
So you are saying that the main concepts encoder to avi intigrates seamlessly with Toaster to create the AVI? I have tried the AVI render with Toaster 2 and it did not produce a good result going to MPEG2. Does it have VBR encoding? Thanks

Sam

ssorrentino
09-25-2003, 09:41 PM
By the way what DVD authoring software package are people using. What do you recommend on a tight budget?

Sam

09-29-2003, 09:17 AM
It is true to say that mainconcept codec's render straight from the timeline (different editing app's may vary) !! or even from the file bin (Toaster 2/3) !!!

just select the codec when you want to render from the editing applications render panel !!! adjust the settings as needed !! & render it's as simple as that !!!

As for what MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.4 can do

http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_encoder.shtml

Also for those who want to author DVD's on a budget the wise choice is Ulead's DVD Workshop !!
it comes in two flavours, one with ac3 & one without.
(The one without can be upgraded at a later date if needed)
It is possibly the easiest to use DVD package i have come across.

For latest UK prices please contact me !!!

Sym @ onevideo

Aegis
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
DVD Lab by MediaChance is a pretty cool package too and the price is excellent ($79 at the moment). The downside is that you'll need a separate MPEG encoder although TMPEGEnc covers that quite nicely. It supports AC3 audio but you'll have to encode the WAVs yourself using BeSweet or similar - even with the extras it comes in a lot cheaper than DVD Workshop...

www.mediachance.com

09-30-2003, 02:42 AM
Can anyone advise me of a wav to ac3 encoder like BeSweet that is actually a dolby labs certified ac3 coder ?? as BeSweet can have compatiblity problems with some hardware players ?
Due to it not being a licenced encoder !

but i must say DVD Lab by MediaChance is a nice little app !!
great price as well ! shame about having to use pre aurthed clips thou.

ScorpioProd
09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I use TMPGEnc for my MPEG-2 encoding.

I use DVD Workshop AC3 for my authoring and AC-3 encoding.

I use RecordNow Max for my burning.

Cunhambebe
10-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Sony Vegas is a great option for ac-3 encoding! :rolleyes:

Rich Deustachio
10-13-2004, 10:39 AM
I use TMPGEnc for my MPEG-2 encoding.

I use DVD Workshop AC3 for my authoring and AC-3 encoding.

I use RecordNow Max for my burning.

Eugene are you saving out of Workshop 2 as an Image File then burning with Record Now?

ScorpioProd
10-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Yup, it's what I've done for the last year.

mgrusin
10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Can anyone advise me of a wav to ac3 encoder like BeSweet that is actually a dolby labs certified ac3 coder ??Pegasys (the people who make TMPGEnc) sell a licensed AC3 encoder for $30. It's advertised as a plugin for their own DVD authoring system, but it is also recognized as a plugin by DVD Lab Pro (currently in Beta), and works standalone as well. I've been using it for a while now and it works PERFECTLY, zero problems. Well worth the low cost.

but i must say DVD Lab by MediaChance is a nice little app !!
great price as well ! shame about having to use pre aurthed clips thou.I love DVD Lab pro. The pipeline does get complex sometimes (video via VT-Edit.Project through TMPGEnc, audio via AC3 Plugin, both into DVD-Lab, then burn with Nero :p ). There is something to be said for an integrated solution, such as the one in VT4. :cool:

Have fun! -MG.