PDA

View Full Version : Was it Lightwave? MegaParania!

shrox
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Was it Lightwave?

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/mega-piranha-this-one-has-teeth--1121

Nangleator
04-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Somewhere someone is rocking back and forth in a dark room... but then his wife shows him the pay stub and it's all better.

shrox
04-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Somewhere someone is rocking back and forth in a dark room... but then his wife shows him the pay stub and it's all better.

Oh...I wish that was me...

Titus
04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
A movie like this needs Lorenzo Lamas.

Shnoze Shmon
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Good news is after 15 days they get to be 912' long. By that time their diet will be cruse ships, oil tankers, and aircraft carriers. Individuals will be too small to be noticed so the beeches will be safe again, but I'd stay away from the Sta... umm... ok no need to worry about people in the Statue of Liberty... or the Golden Gate... wow no more Rock of Gibraltar, those are some teeth...

Four and a half days later you may want to rethink those beaches as at 7296 feet long these fish dine on Hawaii, and oh I guess Florida too.

These things will be eating galaxies inside of a year. With that kind of a growth rate I'm gunna roll my 401K into these guys...

Traveler
04-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Apparently it so bad they don't even want to show it to anyone outside the States :(

"We're sorry but currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States"

cresshead
04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhSogGnu4I

enjoy!

WillBellJr
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I saw the preview on syfy yesterday and shook my head laughing.

I told my wife, now that the syfy channel has a 3D graphics dept., they're throwing out all kinds of crazy stuff, unfortunately with ease.

I can't deny I wouldn't mind working there at all, even if I have to wear shades and a hat when I leave the office in the evening. :D

Naturally I have the DVR set to record it - as I kid, I grew up loving my Friday / Saturday nite monster movies - it's my jaub, to watch monster movies.

Now admittedly, there was a movie last week on syfy, Hostile Planet or something like that - they licked teleportation to a distant star system but couldn't manage to stop a BIGG BEAR from killing them all off after they got there... - I stopped the movie before the end, I can take but so much... :help:

-Will

warrenwc
04-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I've got my DVR set as well.
I'm convinced that the SYFY original movies are being written by
"someones Brother-In _law" (& some are obviously animated by Cousin Ned),
But the comedy value increases with each escalation.
We need a contest to see if the LW community can out-superlative SYFY.

Nangleator
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
... last week on syfy, Hostile Planet or something like that - they licked teleportation to a distant star system but couldn't manage to stop a BIGG BEAR from killing them all off ...

Savage Planet. Good, god, all they could muster for a monster is 10 minutes of footage of a trained bear standing up and yelling. NO scenes with bear AND victim, apart from one 2-second comped scene, the likes of which I bested with my very first comp attempts, 15 years ago.

clintonman
04-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Mega Piranha is going to be hilarious. I'm really looking forward to it tonight.

shrox
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
How about those ab strengthening fish kicks! Chuck Norris would be proud....

JamesCurtis
04-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I caught the commercial and thought it was funny as heck!! The dialog is soooo hoaky!! I may watch it though - if I can convince the wife - she hates all monster/horror flicks.

jasonwestmas
04-10-2010, 05:03 PM
lol,That creature feature SyFy stuff is too painful for me to watch.

Cageman
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Was it Lightwave?

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/mega-piranha-this-one-has-teeth--1121

I think it is quite hillarious that everytime there are effects that doesn't look good, the assumtion that it was done with LW comes up. :D

Why is that, I wonder? Doesn't other apps have _bad_ users?

I have to assume it is done by people who are not as good in 3D as they think they are and they are quite possibly using what the AD marketing machine have told them to use... I mean... who uses LW these days?

;)

shrox
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I think it is quite hillarious that everytime there are effects that doesn't look good, the assumtion that it was done with LW comes up. :D

Why is that, I wonder? Doesn't other apps have _bad_ users?

I have to assume it is done by people who are not as good in 3D as they think they are and they are quite possibly using what the AD marketing machine have told them to use... I mean... who uses LW these days?

;)

I wasn't thinking of it as looking bad so it must be Lightwave, more like the quick work flow of Lightwave allows for stuff to be done quickly. Good or bad is up to what the director will accept, although I would guess there is no such licence granted to the director in movies like these.

"Hey! We need that evil mutant parade float done in time for the Big Labor Day sci-fi movie!"

Nangleator
04-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Just watched it. Helicopters were a different color in every scene. There was one where the helicopter's motion across the screen was minimal, yet it was blurred on its Z axis. Bizarre effect!

The comping of the dead fish onto river scenes was surreal, both in color and in camera matching.

The biology stuff during the credits was nice. I liked the fairly consistent color grading of all the scenes, including the massive amounts of stock footage.

Reuse of footage was egregious. In particular, the shot of one scientist holding back the other while the soldier was eaten in the water was repeated perhaps eleven hundred times in a row before the scene was over. (It may have been a bit less, but that's what it felt like.)

The scale of the fish was problematic. Throughout the story, you expected the fish to get periodically bigger, but throughout the film, you'd see building-sized fish and hand-sized fish in some of the same scenes.

Jaw-droppingly bad moments of acting, writing, direction, editing. Good fun all around, though!

jasonwestmas
04-11-2010, 07:43 AM
J
Jaw-droppingly bad moments of acting, writing, direction, editing. Good fun all around, though!

Fun if you get to make the film and get paid I guess.

Nangleator
04-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, I envy the whole crew, actually.

clintonman
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Mega Piranha is going to be hilarious. I'm really looking forward to it tonight.
I have to answer myself on this one. It was funny, but equally painful to watch. I'm not so sure the laughs were worth it.

Nangleator
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh, yeah. The fish were just arriving at Florida, and the characters said:

"How long will it take them to reach Washington?"

"Two hours."

Erm... you know where they're going? An inland city? And it's the capital city of the people attacking them? And the fish know that? And it will only take two hours?

That's some jaw-droppingly bad writing.

Red_Oddity
04-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah yes, Asylum sure knows how to lower our standards with every movie they produce.
Watching their flicks is like, and i quote Ford Fairlane on this one, masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painful.

Matt
04-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Brain numbingly pointless and bad.

Shnoze Shmon
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, yeah. The fish were just arriving at Florida, and the characters said:

"How long will it take them to reach Washington?"

"Two hours."

Erm... you know where they're going? An inland city? And it's the capital city of the people attacking them? And the fish know that? And it will only take two hours?

That's some jaw-droppingly bad writing.

No. It's just wishful thinking.

"We can't get rid of our government. Maybe monsters/aliens/natural disasters can."

So every monster/alien/natural disaster has the innate ability to home in on political capitals.

biliousfrog
04-12-2010, 04:31 AM
I'm not sure what I find most shocking, the poor effects, bad acting or that Tiffany looks like Catherine Tate on a fat day

Nangleator
04-12-2010, 05:23 AM
... Tiffany...
Not fair to snark on a woman's looks... generally... but they didn't choose her for her acting talent. They chose her to be this week's Dr. Hot Chick.

Red_Oddity
04-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Not fair to snark on a woman's looks... generally... but they didn't choose her for her acting talent. They chose her to be this week's Dr. Hot Chick.

Wait, she was supposed to be hot?

Nangleator
04-12-2010, 06:54 AM
SyFy movies have very few character slots:

Dr. Hot Chick
Ex-SEAL Tough Guy Hero
Comic Relief Buddy
Sneering Bad Guy
Sneering Bad Guy's Minion
Dr. Exposition (Scientist)
Imperiled Daughter
Clueless Victim
Dr. Greed (scientist who probably created the monster)
Monster (endless hunger and stomach capacity; Impervious to bullets; omniscient with regard to character placement)

Philbert
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
My thoughts were that Tiffany saw fellow 80's pop star Debbie Gibson doing a SyFy movie and decided she had to do one as well.

WillBellJr
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Admittedly, I haven't watched MegaFAIL yet but I'll definitely get to it this weekend...

I agree about this stuff keeping peeps employed and I'll say I feel it does push the visual FX bar just a bit.

Why?, Because I feel soon, a single person will be able to make / complete >this level< of production right on their desktop and within a decent timeframe...

Actually, it's mostly possible now, BUT animation is still too laborious for a person to churn out on say a month by month schedule (which it seems like the Syfy channel works on LOL! )

I mean what did they churn out recently? A really bad Ogre and their cop on Transformers with dude from Babylon 5...

I'd imagine their 3D dept. prolly gets though production the fastest since they never seem concerned about making their 3D models seem like it's really in the scene; getting the lighting matched for example.

Much less the feel of weight the creature should have; just shake the frame and add a boom/bigg footstep sounds...

I see a new definition of horror / monster movies emerging from Syfy; it's not the creature that's in the movie, it's the seriously suspect production values that's scary and has you running out the room! :thumbsup:

I like it! :hey:

-Will