PDA

View Full Version : I have a idea...

fineartist
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I have a totally unoriginal idea that I would like Newtek and the community to consider...

With how bad the economy is, with many out of work or looking for work and with all the available time people may have to devote time to now, why don't we create a short (like how Blender has been doing to promote their software)

Benefits include

A) Screen credit to put on your resume (and any work each person devotes to the cause, they have additional work to include in their demo reel)

B) Those who are just starting out could learn as if it was a apprenticeship (being able to dissect scenes, lighting setups, expressions, modeling techniques, etc...)

C) We all want Newtek to be able to market their products well, which in turn generate sales to reinvest back into the company for growth in their products, and really, seeing something more than stills from modeling challenges would educate people on what is possible with Lightwave, as well as being able to submit a short movie to festivals gets the product to people that are looking at their own productions and possibly would consider using Lightwave instead of or including with their future or current setup. Win, win for everyone.....

The way I see it, if Newtek could assign someone to help coordinate the venture, I believe the talent from the community could create something amazing. There is SOOOOOOO much amazing talent I see constantly on the forums, and much more importantly, I have NEVER seen more helpful people on ANY forum for any software like I see with the Lightwave community. That people are there for support for other people in help, I honestly couldn't see something like this not work.

So, basically I ask this, Newtek and community, would this work? Would you want to be involved in a project like this if there was someone that helped coordinate things to make sure it would come to fruition?

OnlineRender
04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Bagzie Director

biliousfrog
04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
This has been mentioned before...I even started a thread on it once.

There are some major problems though.

The biggest issue is managing the project, somebody will need to allocate a lot of time co-ordinating people and ensuring that the project stays on track. This isn't just something that you can pick up and put down around your own life, you'll need to ensure that people in different locations have the information that they need when they need it and that every person is pulling their weight. It's also important that the project remains interesting and morale is kept up amongst the team...Which brings us to...

People working on the project will be required to commit to a fairly strict schedule over a prolonged period of time, potentially years. Any slackers could jeopardize the entire project or at the very least hold it up. The people who could have the most to offer skill-wise are likely to be the busiest, the ones with the most free time are likely to be less skilled/experienced or more interested in finding paid work...it's a generalisation but you get the idea.

Steve's got the right idea, I'll be co-director if that's ok ;)

shrox
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Director of cinematography here.

hrgiger
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
It's been mentioned many times but I've never seen much come from it. Yeah as biliousfrog said, someone's going to need to oversee everyting and coordinate with everyone.

I would suggest first coming up with a script/story/idea and then laying it out and let people play with it for a while and make suggestions. Then you can start taking volunteers for building assets after you've decided what you need. That should at least start the ball rolling.

Dexter2999
04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
This was mentioned about three years ago. A younger person mentioned it. I tried to get behind it. Silkrooster even set up a section for the project on his Wiki. We got so far as submitting ideas/scripts for shorts to be voted on. By majority the young guy was put in charge since he was the one who brought it up. Then it came time to "put up or shut up" and.... everyone shut up.

shrox
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
It's been mentioned many times but I've never seen much come from it. Yeah as biliousfrog said, someone's going to need to oversee everyting and coordinate with everyone.

I would suggest first coming up with a script/story/idea and then laying it out and let people play with it for a while and make suggestions. Then you can start taking volunteers for building assets after you've decided what you need. That should at least start the ball rolling.

Subject matter might be a matter of contention, maybe some wild mix of vignettes is in order.

OnlineRender
04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
This was mentioned about three years ago. A younger person mentioned it. I tried to get behind it. Silkrooster even set up a section for the project on his Wiki. We got so far as submitting ideas/scripts for shorts to be voted on. By majority the young guy was put in charge since he was the one who brought it up. Then it came time to "put up or shut up" and.... everyone shut up.

exactly why people laugh at me when i say i produce games for xna .....

quote " what you make stupid games "

NO I FEKEN DON't , i need to organize and kick peoples *** if there foken about , trust me when i say this " I know how difficult it is to achive something via the internet but it could be done , project managment is KEY !

Bill Carey
04-09-2010, 11:45 PM

I would back up one more step and define the output. 3 minute short? 10? 30? Is that for the body, or including titles? Write the ideas to fit the project. Public use or for sale? Etc.

geo_n
04-10-2010, 12:03 AM
There's the Short Project at Spinquad.
Not sure what the next phase is.

Ernest
04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
On the other thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108117), warrenwc said, "We need a contest to see if the LW community can out-superlative SYFY."

Wouldn't it be anybody's dream to work in a project like that? The nuclear Hyperpoodle Vs the angry Megachihuahua?

Nicolas Jordan
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
The biggest issue is managing the project, somebody will need to allocate a lot of time co-ordinating people and ensuring that the project stays on track.

:agree: That is definitely the main problem I can see with doing something like this. I can also see that working remotely could also be a huge problem that would take away any chances of success that the project would have of being completed in a timely manner or at all. Another problem I can foresee is consistency since many people working on one project will have varying techniques and skill sets with some being much more advanced users than others so someone would have to break out the work into small manageable chunks.

As far as I know Big Buck Bunny had the team all working together in the same room day after day for a long period of time before the project was completed. I remember seeing photos of the team hard at work.

fineartist
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I know the chance of something happening could be small, but I do believe if Newtek was involved in coordinating things, that could be a tipping point for this to become reality. Yes, peoples lives ebb and flow where one week your available, next week your not, but here is how I would see it working...

1) Story developed. Everyone is on board with a predetermined script, storyboards developed and audio recorded. All assets available on Newteks site to download from. After a window of time so everyone could review the project and see what they could contribute, submit on the forum what you would like to work on. If multiple people choose to work on the same thing, majority votes on what they would want in the final product. Do this at a early stage and have it like cgtalk where you can review progress of everyone and that way no one wastes much of their time on something and a person may even see someone else doing the same asset better and could go to a different part of the project instead.

2) Have a spreadsheet of people and assets listed so anyone that wants to contribute could see who is doing what at any time. No guesswork.

3) Those that are art directing/ assembling each scene would be able to have weekly, biweekly or what ever is necessary visual updates so the contributors can see their work, comment on how things are going and ways to improve things if needed.

4) If someone can't finish what they are working on for whatever reason, they could submit what is finished and someone else could try to finish it or someone else starts from scratch. Either way, the list would be updated so it would show again where the assets are.

5) Honor system. If you have never even touched Lightwave, you can't expect to be modeling the main character, or a senior lighting person, etc... When you submit that you want to be involved, you have to let everyone know if your a newbie, intermediate or advanced user (work experience would of course be a major bonus) Those that are of a beginner status could study the assets, how they were constructed, and follow what is happening in their field of interest, and also have their peers available to ask questions to learn.

Again, I feel this could only happen with Newteks help. There would have to be someone that oversees things and has good management skills. If one of the people on the forums was to take control, unless they have ALOT of free time, any chance of quitting in the middle of things to do something else would make the whole thing collapse like a house of cards.

caesar
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Again, I feel this could only happen with Newteks help. There would have to be someone that oversees things and has good management skills. If one of the people on the forums was to take control, unless they have ALOT of free time, any chance of quitting in the middle of things to do something else would make the whole thing collapse like a house of cards.

I agree, a NT employee! Rob has the power!

R.Feeney
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
If you are looking for a community project something like http://www.wreckamovie.com/ could be very useful for managing it.

I could probably manage a little modeling for it too.:thumbsup:

BigHache
04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll jump on if it gets going. My strong points are titles, motion graphics, compositing and editing. While not LW skills, they're still essential to a polished video piece. I also have a quad-core system than could be used for rendering.

VonBon
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
would it be a short story type thing, if so how long would it be.

would there be voice overs, or cinematic drama with music.

would it be a action piece, scenic piece, technical piece, etc.

i got a few "crazy" ideas floating around.

animotion
04-12-2010, 02:50 AM
I would seriously doubt that NT would have the time to devote to something like this. especially with the time constraints of core development at the moment.

Dexter2999
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, they could. A person like Rob Powers has the experience. But not the time. However, if they say got an intern to handle the day to day with mentoring and occasional guidance from Rob it could certainly be done.

Still, I doubt they will.

OnlineRender
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
If you are looking for a community project something like http://www.wreckamovie.com/ could be very useful for managing it.

I could probably manage a little modeling for it too.:thumbsup:

YOUR in RICHARD ! and Iains the render magician ! poopy is the CA animator , MR RID is envoirenment and fluids ........... and shrox is .............. :devil:

theres enough people / skill that this could :rock: , at tops 30seconds , anything more , and well you know the rest !

Kuzey
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like fun...good luck, if it gets off the ground :thumbsup:

Kuzey

OnlineRender
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
if I was mannager my DREAM team would be ........ " sorry if I missed you " 10 players only

MR-RID
CAGEMAN
PROTON
BLAM
LEE-PERRY
MIKEGREEN
RICHARD
ROB
LARRY
GREGMUTT

TheDeacon
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
There's a lot of avenues to take with this, lots of possibilities to explore. Length is an issue, dependability is an issue, ideas are issues.. all of it becomes one major ISSUE.

More often than not, our hearts are in the right place, and we wanna get a dream project done, but then time gets in the way. We are all guilty of it. How many ideas have not gotten off of the ground because of a freelance job that took too much time, that family event just took you away from your computer for a week, that new video game has come out.. etc. etc.

Life just gets in the way. And not just for us "little guys."

As much as we'd like THE BIG TEN to be involved- in reality it just isn't very realistic. The reason they are who they are is because of the amount of work they do- which doesn't leave a whole lot of time for personal projects.

That being said...

In the end, like you guys have been saying, it's about us being willing to put up or shut up.

Are we willing to put our many egos aside and accept another person's idea for execution?

Are we willing to constructively criticize, as well as receive constructive criticism for the greater good of the project?

Are we willing to put our efforts towards a project that not only supports LightWave 3D and its users, but also represents the product in a positive light?

Are we willing to (gasp) stick to a deadline?

These are simple questions, and any creative person's initial answer is usually a resounding,"OF COURSE I AM WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES!" .. especially at the beginning of the project.

but an answer to NO to any of those questions at any point during production can cripple any project instantly, especially with no money involved.

I've seen it happen too many times in my life... and am heartbroken every time it does.

SO many awesome ideas falling by the wayside... never to be realized.

it almost makes you feel like giving up on others, thinking that the only way to make something artistic is to do it at a studio.

THEN, you see something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WApcUBcVMos&feature=channel_page

and your mind races, the notebook comes out, the ideas flow, and you have that temporary amnesia that wipes those negative thoughts away in an instant- giving you another chance to unleash that creative monster caged up inside you... the chains broken, the bars snapped, and it stands on the highest peak of creation and howls- letting you know that it is ready to be seen and heard.

we can do this.

i stress WE because this is a community, and everyone should be able to contribute- as little or as much as they can.

let's figure this out, and take baby steps towards it.

There's things that I want to get set into motion like the image gallery, the website, the reel and lots of other things as we get closer to SIGGRAPH... but there is a second wave of things I want to have happen- like contests and exercises in modeling and animation that have a purpose, that work towards something... maybe a short can be a part of that. maybe 10 second spots. Simple ideas given to you guys to execute and share on here, or wherever, with assets that we supply.

like I said earlier.. lots of ideas to explore... but we need to do it together- an artist is an artist, regardless of how skilled they are in your eyes, and each deserves a certain degree of respect (as long as they are respectful themselves) .. so we need to be a bit open minded about how we go forward with this.

we need to be willing to help each other out AND be accepting of the help being offered.

It won't happen tomorrow... but that's okay. If we take our time and do it right, then it won't matter when it comes out.

I hope this post wasn't too long and annoying- I just wanted to share with you guys the fact that I would LOVE to see this happen... by stressing the possible hurdles we must jump in order to get something like this off of the ground.

I am definitely keeping this idea in my priorities list (since I was already kinda hoping we would do something like this) - and if we show that we can pull it off, show progress and have respect towards one another- then maybe the BIG TEN could lend a hand to whatever it is we end up doing...

Titus
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
With how bad the economy is, with many out of work or looking for work and with all the available time people may have to devote time to now, why don't we create a short (like how Blender has been doing to promote their software)

I've some experience doing this sort of things. If you don't want to end this as yet another free/voluntary short that never is made, there are few things you need to consider.

All the successful free projects I know needed a strong leadership (like Ton Roosendaal), in this case you. You don't have to ask permission to anyone, just do all the leg work. Find/write a script, create a time table, a production flow chart, etc. Consider all the production needs and costs. Once you have all the preproduction, according to the production chart start looking for resources, collect money from pre-sales, investors or distributors, call people according the time table. Once the project has started, more people will follow.

Iain
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd be up for helping out, but I'll say up front that my free time is limited. (That's why I instigated the Speed Modelling idea.)
I'm sure most people are the same so I have no idea how projects like these make it.

Someone would have to take ownership of the project and endeavour to push it on. As much as I'd love to see a decent LW short and would try to get as involved as possible, that person won't be me :hey:

edit**Ha - Titus made my point better than I could!**edit

shrox
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I have already started a project that I would be willing to share. If done well, it could be an enduring classic. I would like to make Shakespeare's Julius Caesar set in the 27th century. The script is verbatim Shakespeare, but the settings are as if Rome never fell.

Here's Act One:

---------------------------------------------------
- The Life and Death of Julies Caesar -

By William Shakespeare
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACT I

SCENE I. Rome, 2675 AD. A street. A black limo is stuck in traffic as "No You Girls" (or some other cool song) by Franz Ferdinand plays. Camera moves towards interior of limo. Inside are
FLAVIUS, MARULLUS, and some hookers. They've been drinking a bit.

FLAVIUS (Shouting out the window)

Hence! home, you idle creatures get you home:
Is this a holiday? what! know you not,
Being mechanical, you ought not walk
Upon a labouring day without the sign
Of your profession? Speak, what trade art thou?

First Commoner (in a small van next to limo, his android steps out and stands next to the van, having taken Flavius' words literally.)

Why, sir, a carpenter.

MARULLUS

Where is thy leather apron and thy rule?
What dost thou with thy best apparel on?

(To another vehicle)
You, sir, what trade are you?

Second Commoner (in other vehicle)

Truly, sir, in respect of a fine workman, I am but,
as you would say, a cobbler.

MARULLUS

But what trade art thou? answer me directly.

Second Commoner

A trade, sir, that, I hope, I may use with a safe
conscience; which is, indeed, sir, a mender of bad soles.

MARULLUS

What trade, thou knave? thou naughty knave, what trade?

Second Commoner

Nay, I beseech you, sir, be not out with me: yet,
if you be out, sir, I can mend you.

MARULLUS

What meanest thou by that? mend me, thou saucy fellow!

Second Commoner

Why, sir, cobble you.

FLAVIUS

Thou art a cobbler, art thou?

Second Commoner

Truly, sir, all that I live by is with the awl: I
meddle with no tradesman's matters, nor women's
matters, but with awl. I am, indeed, sir, a surgeon
to old shoes; when they are in great danger, I
recover them. As proper men as ever trod upon
neat's leather have gone upon my handiwork.

FLAVIUS

But wherefore art not in thy shop today?
Why dost thou lead these men about the streets?

Second Commoner

Truly, sir, to wear out their shoes, to get myself
into more work. But, indeed, sir, we make holiday,
to see Caesar and to rejoice in his triumph.

MARULLUS (leans back into limo, puts his arm around a hooker)

Wherefore rejoice? What conquest brings he home?
What tributaries follow him to Rome,
To grace in captive bonds his chariot-wheels?
You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things!
O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome,
Knew you not Pompey? Many a time and oft
Have you climb'd up to walls and battlements,
To towers and windows, yea, to chimney-tops,
Your infants in your arms, and there have sat
The livelong day, with patient expectation,
To see great Pompey pass the streets of Rome:
And when you saw his chariot but appear,

(Pushes hooker's face into his crotch, she giggles)
Have you not made an universal shout,
That Tiber trembled underneath her banks,
To hear the replication of your sounds
Made in her concave shores?
And do you now put on your best attire?
And do you now cull out a holiday?
And do you now strew flowers in his way
That comes in triumph over Pompey's blood? Be gone!
Run to your houses, fall upon your knees,
Pray to the gods to intermit the plague
That needs must light on this ingratitude.

FLAVIUS (leans out window as traffic begins to flow)

Go, go, good countrymen, and, for this fault,
Assemble all the poor men of your sort;
Draw them to Tiber banks, and weep your tears
Into the channel, till the lowest stream
Do kiss the most exalted shores of all.

Exeunt all the Commoners
See whether their basest metal be not moved;
They vanish tongue-tied in their guiltiness.
Go you down that way towards the Capitol;
This way will I disrobe the images,
If you do find them deck'd with ceremonies.

MARULLUS (pushes button to roll up windows)
May we do so?
You know it is the feast of Lupercal.

FLAVIUS (blocks window with hand to toss out cigar)

It is no matter; let no images
Be hung with Caesar's trophies. I'll about,
And drive away the vulgar from the streets:
So do you too, where you perceive them thick.
These growing feathers pluck'd from Caesar's wing
Will make him fly an ordinary pitch,
Who else would soar above the view of men
And keep us all in servile fearfulness.

Exeunt

SCENE II. A disco, very fascist in decor. Black, red and gold.

radams
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
if I was mannager my DREAM team would be ........ " sorry if I missed you " 10 players only

MR-RID
CAGEMAN
PROTON
BLAM
LEE-PERRY
MIKEGREEN
RICHARD
ROB
LARRY
GREGMUTT

;)...Hmm...

OnlineRender
04-13-2010, 01:07 AM
;)...Hmm...

ohh and radams .....see now i feel guilty

meshpig
04-13-2010, 05:41 AM
I have already started a project that I would be willing to share. If done well...

Akira Kurosawa is dead! Um, can't think of many other successful filmic representations of Shakespeare:)

shrox
04-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Akira Kurosawa is dead! Um, can't think of many other successful filmic representations of Shakespeare:)

Let's just do a Star Wars fanny flick then.

Shnoze Shmon
04-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Better yet!

Borg - Cylon alliance vs BSG - Federation - Klingon - Star Wars Rebel Alliance

:thumbsup:

shrox
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Better yet!

Borg - Cylon alliance vs BSG - Federation - Klingon - Star Wars Rebel Alliance

:thumbsup:

That's new. Not!

sandman300
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I remember from a long time ago there was a movie called "Robot Carnival". All it was, was a bunch of short animations loosely tied together by the robot theme. I can see this idea working along the lines of what The Deacon was saying about "contests and exercises in modeling and animation that have a purpose".

TheDeacon
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I remember from a long time ago there was a movie called "Robot Carnival". All it was, was a bunch of short animations loosely tied together by the robot theme. I can see this idea working along the lines of what The Deacon was saying about "contests and exercises in modeling and animation that have a purpose".

robot carnival is AWESOME... and yes.. that's what i have in mind... not robots, but similarly themed items.. . tiny projects that work towards something that can be shown at a festival or even a future SIGGRAPH.

Nicolas Jordan
04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
robot carnival is AWESOME... and yes.. that's what i have in mind... not robots, but similarly themed items.. . tiny projects that work towards something that can be shown at a festival or even a future SIGGRAPH.

That sounds like something that would work. A project where everyone can work on their own piece independently. This way it wouldn't matter if some people don't pull there own weight on the project since no part of the project would really rely on the other to be complete.

shrox
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
That sounds like something that would work. A project where everyone can work on their own piece independently. This way it wouldn't matter if some people don't pull there own weight on the project since no part of the project would really rely on the other to be complete.

That's what I said earlier, a series of wild vignettes.

Tobian
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah I have to agree with the idea there needs to be a VERY firm central leadership on this type of project. For the 'junior' people they are not going to learn anything if they are all acting like self-centred primadonnas who only do whatever they want like artistes :D (Sorry if that sounds like it has anything to do with you Shrox LOL) There needs to be set realistic goals and labour can be divided amongst people depending on their skill level. Sure of course this is a great opportunity for learning on the job, especially for those artists who's expertise won't be needed for several months, while the storyboarding and design stages are taking place, but there's going to be a limit, and there needs to be a lead artist who is capable right now, to help teach others, or resolve the trickiest aspects.

I'm not sure how you would go about assigning a project leader for something like this, and getting together a good central narrative (hey it's not my speciality! :D) but I have seen projects like this happen. Someone has this brilliant idea, only it turns out the ONLY idea is to *DO* the project, then everyone sits round for like 2 years scratching their heads as to what to get done, and nothing happens AT ALL. You also tend to get a load of one type of specialist and none of of other key specialists, which without you CAN NOT proceed (LW is very short of CA specialists for one!)

I'm certainly up for giving to the community, and putting in some time, but I kind of want to see some sort of reassurance it's not for nothing, or 'oh we'll find some magical people to fix the major technical hurdle we can't possibly overcome with our current people. I'm kind of going to have to say that, well, I have standards... If it's just going to look like something with a mid 90's quality of standard procedurals on some diffuse shading with terrible looking spec highlights, and poor looking fake distant lights, with hard shadows.. erm.. No thanks. This does nothing for me OR most importantly Lightwave. This does have to be something which pushes what Lightwave is capable, to show it's capable of extreme quality, which we know it is, not just falling back on 'easy'.

shrox
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
...extreme quality...

This is what we need to show. I am up for some modeling and camera work, those are what I am best at.

Shnoze Shmon
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
That's new. Not!

I've seen a lot cross series battles, but never a Borg - Cylon alliance.:p

And besides Star Wars fan flicks are not new either.:neener:

Also, most cross series battles are cheesy cut and past or really lousy examples of 3D. It would be nice to see a quality, believable, one made.

(Gratuitous smiley abuse) :twak:

shrox
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I've seen a lot cross series battles, but never a Borg - Cylon alliance.:p

And besides Star Wars fan flicks are not new either.:neener:

Also, most cross series battles are cheesy cut and past or really lousy examples of 3D. It would be nice to see a quality, believable, one made.

(Gratuitous smiley abuse) :twak:

I was indeed giving gratuitous abuse.

I just think there are so many classic stories, that we don't need to copy or modify someone else's already canon universe. I like Star Trek, but I don't want to do something based on it. Let's be creative and new. I am not against a new story or a classic story, but something that has not been retreaded.

cresshead
04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd be up for helping out, but I'll say up front that my free time is limited. (That's why I instigated the Speed Modelling idea.)
I'm sure most people are the same so I have no idea how projects like these make it.

Someone would have to take ownership of the project and endeavour to push it on. As much as I'd love to see a decent LW short and would try to get as involved as possible, that person won't be me :hey:

edit**Ha - Titus made my point better than I could!**edit

i'd be up for a 'project based' speed modeling forum if this get's off the ground...just make a asset list and let people post up their models and tick them off the list once a good result is uploaded.

Tobian
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Well that and if NT wants to showcase BSG or Trek, it can use footage from the actual shows done in LW :)

I 100% agree Shrox, it really needs to be something new and original!

sandman300
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry Shrox, forgot you said that.
vignettes

The way I see it, the biggest problem for us newbees is figuring out a workable pipeline. It would be good to have a series of structured competitions that are project oriented and aimed at a central theme. This would not only help to keep the project on a proper timetable but have a place for those who are not as experienced in an area to gain experience. I've never seen any sort of training (I guess this is the kind of thing they teach in the schools) that takes you through a project; start to finish.

I would do it just for the experience, but I'm sure that the more experienced would do it to have there work showcased as Siggraph if not elsewhere.

hrgiger
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I would contribute but I may have to bow out if it's another space thing. Hasn't that gotten a bit overplayed with Lightwave? Can't we branch out a little here.
I'm always up for urban and gritty.

shrox
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I would contribute but I may have to bow out if it's another space thing. Hasn't that gotten a bit overplayed with Lightwave? Can't we branch out a little here.
I'm always up for urban and gritty.

A good car chase! Some twisty, turny, narrow street in Europe somewhere...plus a pursuing helicopter, and a donkey cart accident for comic relief.

Tobian
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
I feel I have to agree. LW is seen as being synonymous with 'sliding boxes in space'. If this to be a showcase for LW, it should implicitly NOT have this in, as it's both been done to death, and there will likely be better examples already extant, such as the Emmy awards winning BSG SFX. Care should be taken so it's not a series of 90's cliches :D If it has to have cliches, they should at least be cutting edge ones :D

VonBon
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
:question: will there be character animation?

i had an idea, we could do a piece on

"The first human dematerialization/rematerialization experiment"
(was trying to think of how we could use the energy from nuclear waste)

could either goes as expected or horribly :devil: wrong.

could display some mechanical stuff, SFX, and even some mild CA.

fineartist
04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Hopefully we will hear someone from Newtek? Please, if the company would want to be involved, let everyone know. It looks like there are some people that would want to make something happen......please.......pretty please........

Dexter2999
04-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Hopefully we will hear someone from Newtek? Please, if the company would want to be involved, let everyone know. It looks like there are some people that would want to make something happen......please.......pretty please........

Dude, TheDeacon is from Newtek. And he is exactly the person that would comment on this.

hrgiger
04-14-2010, 03:37 AM
A good car chase! Some twisty, turny, narrow street in Europe somewhere...plus a pursuing helicopter, and a donkey cart accident for comic relief.

I like it.

OnlineRender
04-14-2010, 04:00 AM
ALL OUT VOILENCE , BLOOD & Nacked chicks ======== WINNER . :devil:

something like District 13 "awesome film "

hrgiger
04-14-2010, 04:06 AM
ALL OUT VOILENCE , BLOOD & Nacked chicks ======== WINNER . :devil:

something like District 13 "awesome film "

I like that too.

meshpig
04-14-2010, 04:17 AM

It's not that. The play isn't about Julius Caesar but a political tragedy borne of Elizabethan England. Not exactly 3D subject matter:)

Yog
04-14-2010, 05:09 AM
Being British, that sentence has a somewhat different meaning than the one I think (hope) the OP meant ? :jester:

Shure would make an interesting project though :devil:

shrox
04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
It's not that. The play isn't about Julius Caesar but a political tragedy borne of Elizabethan England. Not exactly 3D subject matter:)

That is where "imagination" comes in...I suppose dancing penguins is the only proper subject for any animated movie.

shrox
04-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Being British, that sentence has a somewhat different meaning than the one I think (hope) the OP meant ? :jester:

Shure would make an interesting project though :devil:

You mean f*nny p*ck? Known as bum bags in the UK.

fineartist
04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Sorry about that Dexter, I meant to say, I hope Newtek would make it official that they would want this to happen. All the talk on the forum right now is positive, I would not want the opportunity to be lost, that's all...:)

I have a few ideas like everyone else has, will have to storyboard one out that came to mind just last night, a real tear jerker I believe.

A old man that lives alone and is desperately lonely, each day he sets on a park bench outside of his apartment building wanting to interact with the people that walk by, but different things he sees (boy holding mom's hand for example) causes flashbacks in his mind, how, in this case, he remembers his wife leaving him with their son because she wanted a glamourous, exciting life and he can't give that to her. Another time, later in the year, he sees a red button on a jacket and it sends him back to the time his friend at work was critically injured and he tried to stop the machine in time (but didn't) and his hand hitting the emergency button in the past fades to his hand in the same position now, seeing the look on his face, the viewer can see it still hurts him deeply.
He tries to contact with his now grown son over the phone on christmas, but the voice on the other end of the phone shows that his son really doesn't have time for his father.
Finally, one day in spring, while setting on the bench watching people passing by, his hurt of isolation is so strong he wonders why he puts himself thru all this pain again and again everyday watching all these happy , content people walking by. He answers himself outloud by saying " because I'm so lonely". A elderly woman that had sat next to him on the bench while the old man was self reflecting and not noticing her, responds softly " me too". The old man slowly looks up and towards her seeing her sad expression, and slowly he moves towards here on the bench, introducing himself as the camera pulls away to show the park area from a ariel view. With great compassion in his eyes he asks "Hello, my name is William. What's your name?"
With a soft, glowing look to her face, the elderly woman looks up to him and with a smile says "Hope".

Shnoze Shmon
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
I've never seen any sort of training ... that takes you through a project; start to finish.

Currently going through this one myself.

Project Viper
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/modeling_viper.php

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/texturing_viper.php

There may be others but I've found this a great help.

shrox
04-14-2010, 09:36 AM

I was thinking of the Caeser characters looking like cresshead's political charactures. I do think a series of vinettes would probably showcase a variaty of styles, maybe this could be one.

Or how about meshpig in Tron!

Alliante
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
There's a not-so-bad (task oriented) collaboration website for people wanting to make films over the web.
http://www.wreckamovie.com/ from the guys who brought you the fan satire films of Star Wreck

I really don't have the time to help, but I thought at least passing on information might help.

Dexter2999
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
They are called "bum bags" in the UK because "fanny" means vajayjay over there.
So a "fanny flick" would be Rated X.

shrox
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
They are called "bum bags" in the UK because "fanny" means vajayjay over there.
So a "fanny flick" would be Rated X.

My roommates were kind enough to take an afternoon to exchange "innocent" terms and their different meanings here and there. Fanny pack and bum bag were fun. Now jog on.

meshpig
04-15-2010, 02:53 AM
That is where "imagination" comes in...I suppose dancing penguins is the only proper subject for any animated movie.

On subject matter generally; the first films, when film was just a novelly, were of people getting on and off trains; which were novel at the time too... the subject matter stuck with the medium because there's something about a motion picture on a moving platform still.

Like a film "about" Black which consisted of 40 minutes of a Black screen wouldn't be interesting but in some other medium, say painting it would.

- 3D as a medium is basically an engineering tool which was never a novelty but purpose built to visualize and illustrate but there's nothing to illustrate in Shakespeare... but there is in terms of things which don't exist or are yet to exist so the genius of 3D lies there in my opinion.:)

shrox
04-15-2010, 07:44 AM
...but there's nothing to illustrate in Shakespeare... but there is in terms of things which don't exist or are yet to exist so the genius of 3D lies there in my opinion.:)

I totally disagree with you. Have you never seen Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117509/

It blew people away and introduced Shakespeare and Leonardo Dicaprio to teen girls.

shrox
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
How about an homage to noted director Frak Caprica?

sandman300
04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
That looks like a good start. I haven't gotten those so I can't comment really. But I was thinking more along the lines of character animation. I've seen several tutorials by just as many authors. Considering there are many ways to do the same thing, how do you decide which way to do things. As an example, I went through SplineGod's Character Animation tutorials. Don't get me wrong, they are well worth the investment, but it's IMHO incomplete. It would be nice to see a continuation of his tutorials that show how to use the rig.

Aside from that, I'd like to see something like storyboards to rendering, how to get it done in lightwave. I used to take part in the Simply Lightwave competitions because they pushed me to figure out how to get it done.

Currently going through this one myself.

Project Viper
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/modeling_viper.php

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/texturing_viper.php

There may be others but I've found this a great help.

meshpig
04-16-2010, 05:34 AM
I totally disagree with you. Have you never seen Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117509/

It blew people away and introduced Shakespeare and Leonardo Dicaprio to teen girls.

Of course, I live in Sydney. I dunno didn't the yanks have a problem with Richard III 'cos there was no Richard 1 & 2? Taco Bell!

Baz is a bit of a wanker besides... Strictly Ballroom and Mouiln Rouge are so obviously trite.

shrox
04-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Of course, I live in Sydney. I dunno didn't the yanks have a problem with Richard III 'cos there was no Richard 1 & 2? Taco Bell!

Baz is a bit of a wanker besides... Strictly Ballroom and Mouiln Rouge are so obviously trite.

Well, everything is trite, the trick is to pretend you made it yourself so it's new and perfect.

OnlineRender
04-16-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEg4sJqzPKw&playnext_from=TL&videos=AI1gYDZWQJ8&feature=sub

this what i would like to see be done with LW / NT

meshpig
04-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Well, everything is trite, the trick is to pretend you made it yourself so it's new and perfect.

In that case Shakespeare is just a brand name as I'm sayin':)