PDA

View Full Version : Single Processor configurations?

edmellnik
02-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Folks, I am presently on a dual 500 P3 and want to move up to a 2.4ghz machine to try to get into more real time.

Many have dual zeons. Is this necessary? Can I get some better toaster real time stuff going with a single 2.4 P4 and 133 ides or Scsi drives?
I am tring to save some money obviously...Computers just keep changing to fast to keep putting big bucks into new motherboards.
ed

:D

KiteGlider
02-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Ed -
Funny coincidence.

Started with VT1 on a dual P3 500 DFI , Ultra160, Medea Raid,
1gb ram, GeForce2 Ultra64 ddr.

Had problems with the DFI board after a year, so I was given a "spare" Dell GX260, stock with 2.4Gz, 650mb DDR ram.
I swapped the SCSI, Nvidia card and VT cards over and it works like a champ! First on my list is to increase ram to 1Gb

I only use the VT2 to edit my LW animations, so I don't really push it to anywhere near a fraction of the limits of VT processing.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the single 2.4
cheers,
KG

Faraz
02-27-2003, 05:52 PM
The advantage with the Dual Xeons is really more bandwith. The Toaster gets to get all the badnwith it wants, and the hard drives get to do the same. Because they're on different busses. If you want to do more layers in real-time get a Dual Xeon, if you can BG render it get a P4. Also remeber the advatages in the future Dual Xeons will be able to keep up with software longer then a P4 will.

SBowie
02-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Single cpu P4's can work just fine - however with the current pricing, dual-Xeon is a no-brainer, unless bucks are REALLY tight.

GoceN
03-03-2003, 02:44 AM
edmellnik I use single AMD Athlon 2000+ procesor with Asus AMD motherboard, 1G DDR RAM and 4 Ultra ATA 133 Maxtor Ide drives with 8M cash striped as video drives and my VT2 works just fine, I have 4 uncompresed real time traks.