PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Better Mac Editing

ibctxorg
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I have been working with the folks at handbrake on adding support for the Tricaster normal and Studio profiles and I am pleased to let everyone know that it is finally working perfecting in the latest SVN builds. With it working my new workflow goes like this.

On the Mac:

Open Handbrake, Click the Source Button and select my tricaster recording.
On the right I select the Normal Present and then click Picture Settings and then filters and set Decomb to Default.
Now select Constant Quality: RF: 8
The file will be transcoded to a high quality H.264 file which looks much better than converting to dv format.
Open in the editor of your choose.

The quality loss in converting to H.264 is far less then the loss in converting to dv. If you would like a copy of my svn build I would be happy to provide it. Perhaps newtek could implement a Reference frame only H.264 encoder just as they have done with Mpeg 2 recording. The performance cost seems to be about the same.

bob anderson
04-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Thank You!

joseburgos
04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
You are the 2nd person to recommend Handbrake today on the forum but for different reason. I will be giving it a try tomorrow on OSX and Windows.

ibctxorg
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I worked with one of the developers so that it will support the tricaster mpeg files. The version you download off the handbrake site will not read the tricaster recordings correctly

This attached version was built from svn rev 3197 and will most likely only run on a Core2 or newer Mac running Snow leopard.

GeekNews
05-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Perfect!

joseburgos
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
This version will not launch for me. The Handbrake 64 bit OSX version from the site launches fine though.
Any ideas?

donie
07-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Works fine for me Jose.

Wow, that version of handbrake screams on my macbook pro. getting over 300fps converting a 640x360 f4v file down to mp4 with a resolution drop to 320x176. I've run the same test with the 0.9.4 version (32bit I guess) and it's averaging 125fps on the same file.

This makes it very easy to move the stream to final cut for editing or just throw out a file to mp4 for the web using flowplayer.

Thanks for posting this, sure is a little bit of a life saver when you want to get stuff done the easy way (and quicker too).

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Donie

joseburgos
07-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes the 64 bit version works well and I have not gone back to testing the 32 bit version.

For the Record: Thank John Mahoney and ibctxorg for introducing and refining Handbrake for us. I just make sure something works right and as advertised before I pass it along :)

Take care,

TakeOneDigital
07-08-2010, 12:15 AM
This is cool, especially if you have your Mac set up to encode h.264 with the Elgato USB accelerator (like 10x real time). BUT, how is editing in h.264 on a FCP timeline? My employees complain that the render times are horrible. Thoughts? Are they crazy? We work in DV timelines because renders and output are fast.

joseburgos
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I personally would think editing a f4v file is also crazy but a lot of times, all one wants to do is trim the start and end of the file and nothing else (that is what do). Now Handbrake also is supposed to work great in converting a TriCaster MPEG Studio quality clip to be used on other NLE, FCP being one. This is what ibctxorg uses it for.

bossing26
09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't get Handbrake to work. I'm running HB 0.9.4 on Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Every time I try to do it, it gets blocky, green, and there is no sound except for some crazy pops and humms.

Do I need to render it out of the tricaster studio any certain way?

Please help!

csandy
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't get Handbrake to work. I'm running HB 0.9.4 on Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Every time I try to do it, it gets blocky, green, and there is no sound except for some crazy pops and humms.

Do I need to render it out of the tricaster studio any certain way?

Please help!

What version of TriCaster STUDIO are you running? 1.0 or 2.5?

treshawks
09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I was having a heck of a time trying to convert a Studio Profile HD clip recorded on a TCXD300 to anything FCP would import. I had tried MPEG streamclip, VLC, converting in SpeedEdit, etc. This was a good work around. Thank you very much.

TakeOneDigital
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I worked with one of the developers so that it will support the tricaster mpeg files. The version you download off the handbrake site will not read the tricaster recordings correctly

This attached version was built from svn rev 3197 and will most likely only run on a Core2 or newer Mac running Snow leopard.

Sorry, but that ZIP doesn't work for me, either. Unzips, then when I try to double-click on "Handbrake" I get "The Application Handbrake Unexpectedly Quit". I'm running OS 10.5.8, on a 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

digiview
09-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello All,
I have two Mac system here and on the MacBook Pro 10.5 OS I get the same error message "Handbrake" I get "The Application Handbrake Unexpectedly Quit". I'm also running a MacPro 8 core with OS 10.6.4 Snow Leopard and Handbrake work fine so I guess you must need the later Snow Leopard system to run it.

Cheers Lance

ACross
09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
For what it is worth TCXD850 includes the ability to convert to a wide variety of formats "out of the box" including some presets that are designed to be FCP real-time-playback friendly (and higher quality than H.264).

Andrew

treshawks
09-17-2010, 08:28 PM
That's good news Dr. Cross. Can those capabilities be added as a firmware update to the TCXD300 as well?

ACross
09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
That's good news Dr. Cross. Can those capabilities be added as a firmware update to the TCXD300 as well?

I am afraid that much as I really would love too, I cannot really speculate about future versions of the products. In general we have developed the TCXD850 to run on the platform that it comes with and have fine tuned it for that. It is quite possible that wish some work some of these things might run on the TCXD300, but I just cannot make promises right now.

A.

treshawks
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to use my TCXD300 to it's fullest potential soon and that the export problems to FCP compatible files will soon be a thing of the past.

ACross
09-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to use my TCXD300 to it's fullest potential soon and that the export problems to FCP compatible files will soon be a thing of the past.

I should emphasize that our files should work fine in FCP on all versions of the TriCaster. We have checked this here on different machines, and different versions of FCP and they all work correctly.

I will post a thread on the specific things that typically cause people problems getting FCP to work with our files.

treshawks
09-17-2010, 10:24 PM
That's a good post summarizing typical problems with FCP import. In fact, it outlines the steps we've taken to resolve our issues with Studio Profile imports. In our particular case we still had to resort to third party custom coded software to get a file imported into FCP for editing.

As a side note, we have Red One cameras that are capable of recording 4k files at up to 120fps while simultaneously writing 4 seperate proxy qt files. The proxy files can be imported and edited straight from camera drive. Albeit, ungraded. But the quality is impressive. I think they use a proprietary wavelet technology to achieve this quality/record speed. And, proprietary RedCineX software to grade/edit/export. Any chance of NewTek going a similar wavelet proprietary cross-platform compatible route?

ACross
09-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Any chance of NewTek going a similar wavelet proprietary cross-platform compatible route?

A couple of very quick responses to this :

1) Wavelet compression got a lot of hype a few years ago, largely because it is theoretically quite nice. That said, it has largely been dropped in most modern codec development for a variety of reasons (this has a great summary (http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=317)). Note even that in the next generation of codecs being researched (e.g. H.265) wavelets have pretty much been dropped in favor of more recent advances in DCT-like+motion estimation compression schemes. In general if you go for a really high bit-rate like Red (or we do) all compression schemes are going to look really very good.

2) We could probably use propriety compression formats and indeed have in the past with SpeedHQ. These cause as many problems as they fix, and even if we write a QuickTime wrapper for them (as Red do) we are going to be left with the same problem which is that it will not be a format that FCP tags as "for real-time use".

In conclusion, I am not really quite sure why a propriety solution would actually be much better (other than for bragging rights) than adopting a standard.

Andrew

ps. AVCIntra looks promising, although the fact that it uses arithmetic encoding is somewhat of an issue for real-time encoding on modern CPUs where you need to ensure real-time performance to lots of other system components at the same time.

treshawks
09-18-2010, 06:21 AM
I appreciate your time, attention, and communications regarding these issues and technologies. You guys have fantastic products and support. I think these growing pains are part of every revolutionary process. Please continue to keep us as informed as possible.

bossing26
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
What version of TriCaster STUDIO are you running? 1.0 or 2.5?

I'm running 2.5. Any suggestions?

treshawks
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Two things come to mind:
1) Check the version of OSX
2) Make sure you're using the customized version of handbrake available on these forums instead of the standard app from the handbrake website.

D Lacey
10-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Have the Tricaster specific changes been made to the Windows version of Handbrake?