PDA

View Full Version : ##("/)% LightWave !

Capt Lightwave
09-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Oh, God, I'm soooo sick and tired of this.

[COMPLAIN MODE ON]

I've got four machines and the same problem on all of them.
3 of the machines are running Windows 2000 sp3 with 1.5Gb of RAM, the last one running Windows XP with 2Gb of RAM.

The problem? All of them craches if I'm trying to load an image over, say 3 or 4 Mb.

I need to render out the planet earth and I've got this 10k imagemap, but loading the image crashes Layout instantly...

I can easily load images of a few 100 MB in Photoshop.

Does anyone else have these problems?
Is there a bug in Lightwave's memory handling or are all of my computers worth crap?

[COMPLAIN MODE OFF]

Phew... Please?

Noclar7
09-10-2003, 08:57 AM
I'm running windows XP with 2g of ram.

One workaround I have used when doing the 10k earth render bit is to make sure you shut off all of your openGL texture previews in Layout before you load up the image. My machine never crashed (crssing fingers) but it obviously improves performance if you do this. The only thing is if you have to track a point or zoom into a certain area. This can be resolved by creating a super small image in the same dimmensions as your large map and animating with it. You then just turn off all open GL texture previews, and replace your image in the image editor.
Render ,,,

Best of luck,

WizCraker
09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
I had the same problem with a 700 MB texture from NASA, it ended up not being a processor problem but a memory problem. Lightwave crashes when it runs out of memory. Maya has a catch error that detects that it is about to run out of memory and tells you about it. Lightwave should have this feature.

Capt Lightwave
09-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by jackcarter
first of all, have a fast processor, it doesn't matter how much ram you have if you have a slow processor.

I've got a (WinXP) dual Xeon 2.8GHz with 2 GB RAM. Should be enough, right?
Then there's two computers (Win2K) running at 1.2GHz with 1.5GB of RAM, and one (Win2K) running at 2.6GHz also with 1.5GHZ of RAM.

1. Close ALL programs when you start Lightwave. That includes pushing Ctrl+ALT+Delete and (on XP) go to 'processes' and close as many of them as you can, just not 'explorer.exe', because each internet explorer window you have open costs you about 44 mb of ram. any instant messaging programs... close them too.

Three of my machines are running Windows and Lighwave only. The last one is used for all sorts of things, but that one is also a 1.2GHz with 1.5MB of RAM.

2. If you dont have any virus protection, get Norton or something and scan your hard drive for viruses, that can be a HUGE problem. (after all, there is a worm going around now)

Zone Alarm firewall installed on the "internet computer" and F-Secure Antivirus 2003 scanning all computers...almost constantly. Updated daily.

3. If you have your Hard Drives set up using 'RAID', make sure that both are connected right.

Only 1 hard drive in most of the computers...no RAID yet.

4. If all else fails, format your hard drive and reinstall Windows, a clean install of windows can really make a GOOD difference, it'll wipe out ALL viruses (almost all, anyways, some are tricky), and there will be less cluttering programs.

The WindowsXP machine is a clean install...just LighWave installed on that one.

If all that doesn't work, post a reply, i'll see what i can think of.

Thanks for your help so far, but it seems to me like it may be a LightWave memory handlig problem after all...

Capt Lightwave
09-11-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
I had the same problem with a 700 MB texture from NASA, it ended up not being a processor problem but a memory problem. Lightwave crashes when it runs out of memory. Maya has a catch error that detects that it is about to run out of memory and tells you about it. Lightwave should have this feature.

Yeah, I could've understood it if I had tried loading THAT one, but since I can't even use the 10K image (11.7MB)...loading anything larger seems like a complete waste of time, huh?!?

fxnut
09-11-2003, 03:24 AM
I remember having similar problems with images being corrupted or even just not being loaded properly. What you might want to try is setting the image dimensions to an even number of pixels, or even ideally to a power of 2 (e.g. 1024, 2048, 4096 etc.). I found that this sometimes helped.

Best of luck

Andy

Wade
09-11-2003, 10:25 PM
One thread a while ago dealt with the same thing I think the solution was to change the file type of the image. I will see if I can find it.

Wade
09-11-2003, 10:35 PM
04-07-2003 01:24 PM - was the date and time of post FXnut was there then to. Not much more info then thou. Some suggest using the .IFF format. Sorry not much help here.
:(

Capt Lightwave
09-12-2003, 03:23 AM
Yeah, it's kind of funny how different file formats behaves.
The 3 jpg images of approximately 21MB mentioned above crashes Layout instantly, but the same images converted to iff (alomst 300 MB) even lets me render them out. OpenGL textures isn't even worth trying...

Oracle77
09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
I had the same problem 2 days ago:
first, convert your image to BMP! This may take extra hard drive space, but it lets layout concentrate CPU on rendering, not converting the image to BMP anyways.
Well you have all the computer hooked up together, probly running multi-threading, and it seems all your Ram needed for the scene is backed up in one computer. Every extra thread adds on another picture file size. 1thread, 2 pictures, 28 megs. 2 threads, same 2 pictures, 56 megs Ram. Of course im just assuming your using this, but i dont know for sure.
All else fails, try shrinking your photos to, say, half the size, cause no amount of compression matters to lightwave.
Good luck!

js33
09-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Yes as others have said resave the images as either tif, tga, iff, bmp basically anything other than jpeg. When you load the images into LW it uncompresses them anyway so you are not saving anything by using jpegs.

Cheers,
JS

richpr
09-13-2003, 07:28 PM
I keep all critical files as PNG and only for output lower them to JPGs...