PDA

View Full Version : Question: What app did they use to make this and can it be done in LW?

Wickster
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask if there is a software that specializes on this kind of simulations:
http://www.presidioparkway.org/video/

The second part of the question is probably answered as "yes, LW can do that." But what plugins or process will LW needs to make it easier creating these kinds of simulations.

Thanks in advance everyone.

biliousfrog
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
You could do that in almost any application that can do animation, I didn't see anything special about it. The traffic is all travelling at the same speed along the same path...if you can create a key frame you can create that.

Titus
04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
The environment can be constructed with programs like Vue. If the motion of the vehicles is constant or the same, just animate one car and copy the motion.

Matt
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
It would be perfectly possible in LW using the CurveConstraint Motion Modifier, but not without some work.

Unfortunately it doesn't work in conjunction with the CruiseControl Motion Modifier, so you'd have to either work out the speed to get the start / end frames right in the CurveConstraint Motion Modifier, or bake the keys for the CurveConstraint Motion Modifier (unfortunately the DopeTrack doesn't do this properly, use Petter's much better script instead http://mentalfish.com/2009/09/motion-baker/).

I tried this and had issues with the CruiseControl Motion Modifier, either I'm using it wrong or it's bust in 9.6.

It would be nice to have a plugin that took all of the headaches away from this, it's something I did on a job once, but just ended up keyframing it all (pain).

Wickster
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I had the notion that there was a special program dedicated to creating things like this, but I guess any 3D app can do this. A friend of mine was asking and he works for a comapny that bids for contracts for the state transportation services and they wanted to jazz up their simulations.

Glad to hear that LW can do this, with some work like Matt said.

Time to recommend LW then. :D

Thanks again.

aurora
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
There are apps out there that can automate this process. Max as a couple great ones and if you are rich and have money to burn theres always this one http://pixelactive3d.com/Products/CityScape/

Red_Oddity
04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
You can do this really easy with a particle system and an animated path wind.
You can also give your car model a FXMotion modifier so it picks up on the wind as well.

See attached scene file for a very simple example (both techniques are shown).

biliousfrog
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
There are apps out there that can automate this process. Max as a couple great ones and if you are rich and have money to burn theres always this one http://pixelactive3d.com/Products/CityScape/

I really wish that all 3d apps made sounds like that when creating stuff...you hear that NewTek? :D

Wickster
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
There are apps out there that can automate this process. Max as a couple great ones and if you are rich and have money to burn theres always this one http://pixelactive3d.com/Products/CityScape/Oh wow...

From the looks of it, it's a lot like LWCAD, but in a much much larger scale.

You can do this really easy with a particle system and an animated path wind.
You can also give your car model a FXMotion modifier so it picks up on the wind as well.

See attached scene file for a very simple example (both techniques are shown).Thanks for the scene, I will play with this a bit.

Wickster
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I really wish that all 3d apps made sounds like that when creating stuff...you hear that NewTek? :DWhat would spheres and cubes sound like though...or even just creating a point. It'll probably be like "doink, doink, DOINK!" LOL.

Red_Oddity
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Here's another example, here the cars are smaller than the collision sphere, so they nicely push other particles away when they collide.
So no cars will crash will crash in this example, you might also be able to use this to merge 2 lanes of cars together without nasty jitters or interpenetration of objects.

Open the scene, and to see the collision effect you need to calculate the dynamics (open the Dynamics browser or the properties of a dynamic object and press Calc)

Shnoze Shmon
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Defiantly not modeling Dallas traffic.

biliousfrog
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
What would spheres and cubes sound like though...or even just creating a point. It'll probably be like "doink, doink, DOINK!" LOL.

As long as they make swooshy, slidy noises when they're stretched I'll be happy

Matt
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
i really wish that all 3d apps made sounds like that when creating stuff...you hear that newtek? :d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

sampei
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
you could always mute em...

serge
04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Once you've set up the motion path with a null, I believe the easiest way to create this is with Dpont's "Part Move" node. Model the objects and put them all in the same layer. Move the objects (parts) by using the null's position and rotation (see attachment). The "Part Info" index (part ID number) plugged into the "time" of the null will create a different start position for each object. With a gradient in between you can easily create some noise to the distances between the objects.

One of the cool things about this setup is that all your objects (parts) are in one layer, so when you do a motion scan you have one MDD for all objects.

MooseDog
04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Once you've set up the motion path with a null, I believe the easiest way to create this is with Dpont's "Part Move" node. Model the objects and put them all in the same layer. Move the objects (parts) by using the null's position and rotation (see attachment). The "Part Info" index (part ID number) plugged into the "time" of the null will create a different start position for each object. With a gradient in between you can easily create some noise to the distances between the objects.

One of the cool things about this setup is that all your objects (parts) are in one layer, so when you do a motion scan you have one MDD for all objects.

thumbs up on this technique. it's really very slick.

aren't parts and obkects two different things, i.e. one object-layer can be made up of many many parts.

nevermind......you said that :). just a cavaet to those who read this

serge
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
nevermind......you said that :). just a cavaet to those who read this
I'll reply anyway, just to be more clear. ;)

Every group of polygons in a layer that is not connected to anything is a 'part'. The above technique only displaces points, it doesn't actually move any 'objects'.

WillBellJr
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
LOL, whoever was driving in that Cityscape one should be pimp-slapped! :D

Felt like I was watching a tut on scene construction in Unity...

Cool but $20K?

Definitely felt like v5 or v8 of LWCAD.

Having a bunch of building prefabs, I don't see what's so uh, $20K expensive in doing this that a regular 3D app couldn't do?

With a physics enabled environment for collision detection and creating your objects with a bit of scripting smarts (roads bending at the proper places), you should easily be able to move a mountain under your models and have things push up and move around as required?

I hope they're banking the money they get cause to me this seems easy to match or outpace...

From the 1st one, I admit this should be something that should be doable eventually in CORE without any headaches or workarounds / problems.

I didn't see anything more than perhaps instancing, path animation / crowd simulation, environment simulation (sky / ozone etc.,) along with regular modeling and texturing?

-Will