PDA

View Full Version : what AVI format for alpha channel?

Noedig
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I have been asked to create some alpha channel lower third videos for my church which uses a Tricaster, but I'm not sure what format/codec I should be using.

I do most of my work in Adobe After Effects and when first asked me, I created a PNG (with alpha) image sequence... which is what I would do in AE if wanting to create and import an alpha channel video. However that didn't work well because the Tricaster didn't seem to have the option to import the files as a sequence instead of a bunch of individual images.

What they ended up doing was import the images, change the setting to 1fps per image, add it to a timeline, then export to some sort of Tricaster with Alpha Channel .avi file.

What I would love to know is what .avi codec/specs could I export my file from in AE so they don't have to jump through those hoops and the file could be played straight upon importing?

Thanks so very much

Mark Fogarty
Muddy River Media
www.MuddyRiverMedia.org

Get Muddy... It's Free!

bob anderson
04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not an expert in AE, but I believe you have a save option called NTSC DV, which saves an AVI file. I'd suspect there's an option to save it in 32 bit format. That being said, the TriCaster will understand 32 bit Quicktimes as well, as long as you stay pretty "vanilla" on the saver options. If they load the QT's and they play back choppy, on the TriCaster end, they can import those files and re-render them as that TriCaster AVI with Alpha format and they'll play back fine. This operation is faster than realtime, so it's no all that painful.

Bob Anderson