PDA

View Full Version : How to Install in Win7 64bit?? Clarify this mess please.

sami
04-06-2010, 02:25 AM
TL; DR What the hell do I install from the "my downloads" page??

Hi.

Please forgive the frustrational tone of this post - I've been a LW customer since v4.0 on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups with Win32s so I think I've earned it ;)

I've just built a new Win7 64bit machine and not having used LW in like a year I'm just getting back into what versions are available now. I logged in to see "my downloads" at register.newtek.com and notice that (as I recall) everything is a big mess in one gigantic list there.

Here's the bottom line, I was using LW 9.3 last on my old machine which I've wiped and now want to install the latest of everything (barring this LWCore stuff - I will wait until it is released or stable before buying that - the limited feature set throws me off, LW 9.x is great for me for now but I digress).

SOoo I assume LW 9.6.1 is the latest. I want a COMPLETE install in Win7 64bit with all the trimmings - the manuals and all the content. Which ZIPs do I need and in which ORDER do I install them?? Is the LW Open Beta for 9.6.1 a complete install or a patch on 9.6? Do I need to install LW 9.3 and then all the other patches?

Could you make the downloads page any more confusing for people who don't live and breathe at the newtek site daily, but actually work? ;) Sorry for the rant, I just want to have a correct and complete install on my new system tonight, but it seems a bit convoluted to find out what is the accepted complete way to do an install in Win7 64bit... Think about grouping the files by version at least on that page - everything is split up - like why would I want some 9.3 docs and some 9.6 docs - if something hasn't been updated - make the LATEST install package/collection of files clear please!

Any help figuring out what to install would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
sam

p.s. Also one more thing, I noticed that UAC must be turned off for the install is this correct? I didn't quite get that Virtual Storage thing. Should LW be installed outside of Program Files?

p.p.s. Do 32bit LW plugins work in 64bit LW? Some DAWs like Sonar even though 64bit have something called a bitbridge emulator or something which enables older 32bit plugins to work under the 64bit host - does LW offer this - or are most of my old or freeware plugins obsolete now assuming I take the leap to the 64bit LW? thanks

BeeVee
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Just answering in reverse order:

PPS first: LScripts are universal, they will work with both 32- and 64-bit LightWave. You can install a 32-bit version of LightWave on a 64-bit machine, meaning you can run 32-bit plugins that way, but yes, if you are running a 64-bit LightWave, you can only run 64-bit plugins with it.

PS: UAC stops a user from writing files to the Program Files (and Program Files (x86)) directory, and uses a thing called the Virtual Store to redirect files away to a safer bit of the hard drive. LightWave does not respond to this system and so the solution is either, as you say to install other than in the Program Files directory (myself I have a separate drive for NewTek stuff, the programs, the manuals and the content), or simply to turn off UAC. It is really designed to protect computers from inexpert fingers so if you are the sole user of the computer and you've been doing this computer lark for any time you are almost certainly expert enough not to need your hand held by UAC.

Now, to the issue of what to install. You should install 9.6.1 if you want to be in the open beta for that release with a time-limited license.key, otherwise standard 9.6 should be your choice. The manuals are on the downloads section in two forms - print ready without indexing and screen use with, I would take the latter. For the content, get all the main content bundles - you only need the reflection images one if you downloaded the very first content bundle and didn't get them. Oh yeah, and if you only have a 32-bit license.key you need to reregister to get a 64-bit one. Instructions here (http://www.lightwiki.com/Registering_another_platform_on_the_same_LightWave _v9_licence).

Hope this helps,

B

sami
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the reply, but to clarify: no patches are needed - I can just install 9.6.1 beta as is?

And the steps for a complete CLEAN LW install are:

install LightWave_961_PC_64.zip (outside of Program Files)

unpack and copy Content files from zips:

LightWave96_NewContent.zip
LightWave_v9-Content.zip
LightWave_v9-Content_Addendum.zip
LightWave_v9-Manual_Content.zip
LightWave_v9-Relativity.zip
Reflections.zip
into the main LW Content folder.

Install Web help files:

LightWave_HelpHTM.zip
WinWebHelp.zip

Unpack and copy PDF documentation files:

LightWave_v9-FiberFX_print.zip
LightWave_v9-Layout_print.zip
LightWave_v9-Modeler_print.zip
LightWave_v9-Surface_and_Render_print.zip
to the LW Documentation folder.

That's it right? No old 9.2 or other files needed right? And that gets me everything?? Sorry, but cleaning up the registration page to group them or even adding an FAQ like this would help. I appreciate your help

sam

sami
04-09-2010, 03:26 AM
since no one can give me a clear answer, I will attempt to answer myself, unless someone else has anything different to say.

My instructions above are wrong as there is no installer in the file: LightWave_961_PC_64.zip. Add a step 0. to the above.

0. Install LightWave3D-9.6-windows-installer.exe first then follow the steps in the above post.

NEWTEK, next time please type up a simple readme next time and make it obvious what to install and in what order. :mad: thanks

EmperorPete
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
NEWTEK, next time please type up a simple readme next time and make it obvious what to install and in what order. :mad: thanks
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81690
They did.

sami
04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for that link. :) However, that post is not a readme included in the "my downloads" section of the registration portal - nor is it a guide on how or what files to install and in what order. It talks about config files and licensing key setup, neither of which I had a problem with. I was talking about how messy the register.newtek.com my downloads section was and how that could use a bit of a cleanup by newtek since it is not clear how or what files are needed for a full install the way they have them listed.