PDA

View Full Version : Interactive rendering engine, or app

THREEL
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Are there any rendering engines, or applications available to allow interactivity in a huge scene by rendering said scene on the fly? For example: A LW 3d scene with a bunch of buildings, landmarks, etc... in different locations and viewers wanted to take a virtual tour at their own pace and from any possible view point.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

THREEL
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Can anyone chime in on this? Anyone at all? Is this thing working? lol

bjornkn
04-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Sounds like Google Earth to me?

geo_n
04-09-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm learning unity3d and I think its possible there. But you'll have to learn javascripting which I'm having a hard time :D
Anyway, the more lightwave users in the unity forums the better .:thumbsup:

THREEL
04-09-2010, 07:35 AM
@ bjornkn: Is it possible to bring lwo objects into google earth? Can I build objects at a 1:1 scale to import into google earth?

@geo_n: How would people that don't have unity3d navigate through the world that I would create for them?

Thanks guys!

geo_n
04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
It can make an executable file in pc and mac for people to open it without unity. Nothing to install either.
It can export to web browser and like google earth has a simple plugin download. Its as light as flash plugin.

THREEL
04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
It can make an executable file in pc and mac for people to open it without unity. Nothing to install either.
It can export to web browser and like google earth has a simple plugin download. Its as light as flash plugin.

I'm looking at unity, right now. Looks pretty cool. Is the regular unity free, and can it be used for professional purposes? I'm trying to find the price tag for the pro version, but haven't found it, yet.

Thanks, geo_n!

THREEL
04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Just found it! unity pro 3.0 can be pre-ordered for $1200.00, right now. I'll probably give the regular unity a go, before I upgrade to the pro version.

bjornkn
04-09-2010, 08:08 AM
@ bjornkn: Is it possible to bring lwo objects into google earth? Can I build objects at a 1:1 scale to import into google earth?
Thanks guys!GE basically uses Collada packed as KMZ/KML. But you can use SketchUp (free), and probably import your LW objects there before exporting to any location on the globe.

THREEL
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
GE basically uses Collada packed as KMZ/KML. But you can use SketchUp (free), and probably import your LW objects there before exporting to any location on the globe.

I was wondering about routing LW models through Sketchup to take them into GE.

Thanks, bjornkn!

bjornkn
04-09-2010, 08:16 AM
SU can load Collada, and LW can export it. But last time I tried it (quite a while ago) LW had problems exporting with textures intact.
It is much faster modeling directly in SU anyway ;)
I usually go from SU -> LW, and rarely go the other way.